+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Does Saw Palmetto Cause Hair Shedding?

Can anybody shed light on this. Thanks.

bump.....................

yes it does cause shedding. Anything that afffects androgen balance will cause shedding.

some say sheds are "good" and that it means the treatment is working
    I say sheds are "very bad", you are already shedding with MPB why would you want to shed more? does it not make sense to reduce the shed rather than increase the shed?

I have been taking a Saw Palmetto complex and other vitamins specific for hair & scalp health for roughly 3 1/2 weeks now and have actually noticed a slowdown in the amount of shedding. I remember before I started on the vitamins shedding was pretty bad. I would loose hair if I combed, washed or even ran my hands through my hair. I am talking upwards of 100+ hairs a day, it was bad. It has slowed down tremendously after nearly 4 weeks in but I am experiencing some mild side effects.

I am not sure if after a few months I will encounter a shed cycle but I am gonna give this regimen at least 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    I have been taking a Saw Palmetto complex and other vitamins specific for hair & scalp health for roughly 3 1/2 weeks now and have actually noticed a slowdown in the amount of shedding. I remember before I started on the vitamins shedding was pretty bad. I would loose hair if I combed, washed or even ran my hands through my hair. I am talking upwards of 100+ hairs a day, it was bad. It has slowed down tremendously after nearly 4 weeks in but I am experiencing some mild side effects.

I am not sure if after a few months I will encounter a shed cycle but I am gonna give this regimen at least 6 months.
    yes this "shed free" period will be short lived and shedding will pick up again.

what side effects?

Well I had some testicular sensitivity for a good week but that is pretty much gone now. I have also noticed a bit of watery semen as well. No libido or erection problems though and no gyno either. I actually feel better than I have in a long time but that could be the extra vitamin intake.

Curious what vitamin regime you're on? I'm on biotin, fish oil, multi vitamin, + a vitamin E/castor oil/coconut oil scalp complex

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    yes it does cause shedding. Anything that afffects androgen balance will cause shedding.

some say sheds are "good" and that it means the treatment is working
    I say sheds are "very bad", you are already shedding with MPB why would you want to shed more? does it not make sense to reduce the shed rather than increase the shed?
    I think that's a somewhat short sighted view, shedding during the initial stages of treatment is considered a good sign as it supposedly means the hair root is out of its resting phase and is being pushed out by a new, healthier hair follicle.

I don't know whether it's true but that's a brief explanation of why shedding is a good sign at first and answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmalo View Post
    I think that's a somewhat short sighted view, shedding during the initial stages of treatment is considered a good sign as it supposedly means the hair root is out of its resting phase and is being pushed out by a new, healthier hair follicle.

I don't know whether it's true but that's a brief explanation of why shedding is a good sign at first and answers your question.
    youve been taught wrong.
    with androgen blockers you should not be shedding, if it causes a shed it suggests some other forces are at work.

the only "good shed" you will notice is the one you get from minoxidil.
    Shedding should be practically non existant with any sort of androgen blocker.