+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

win200,

Permanent damage to the roots is transection however when that happens, the transected hair sheds almost immediately, not 5 plus months later post-op.

And yes, the shockloss can spread outside the recipient area to other regions of the scalp, albeit rare.

Have you by chance started any hairloss meds recently (post-op) or any other topical products like Nizoral or other scalp invigorators?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    win200,

Permanent damage to the roots is transection however when that happens, the transected hair sheds almost immediately, not 5 plus months later post-op.

And yes, the shockloss can spread outside the recipient area to other regions of the scalp, albeit rare.

Have you by chance started any hairloss meds recently (post-op) or any other topical products like Nizoral or other scalp invigorators?
    I actually started Propecia on 9/20 and Rogaine on 10/17 (my surgery was on 6/20). The sustained shedding was still present when I started both treatments--it was actually the REASON I started both. I used Nizoral for a couple weeks (twice per week), but stopped because I thought my scalp was already undergoing so much tumult, between the surgery and two new meds, that I shouldn't push it. So maybe the shedding is some persistent shock loss combined with some fin/minoxidil shedding. Who knows.

I actually got my hair cut shorter this morning; it was REALLY long, and I was terrified about the thinness that I was going to see underneath. Surprisingly, it turned out looking really good. The funny thing about long hair is that sometimes it sort of clumps into strands and makes coverage look WORSE despite having more hair on your head. With my hair shorter, it splays apart more, and I'm not as thin as I thought I was.

win,

Thank goodness you are now seeing improvemnent. And you are correct in how the longer hair can clump togethor and along with the effects of gravity, can make the hair look more sparse visually speaking.

There is an old saying in this field which states, "Shorter looks fuller". One of the docs I used to work for would occaisionally mention this to men who had more advanced classes of hairloss and never had the donor to fully cover their extent of hairloss.

He used to recommend cutting the hair down to a number 1 guide after he established lower ranges of restored density say on average 30 FUcm2 where there was no hair at all. These were men who had average caliber and also had more narrow color contrasts. Guys with more lighter hair color on fairer complexions.

This shorter length tended to produce more visual coverage because of how the hair shafts tended to stand more than hang, if that makes any sense, and this also allows more surface coverage because the grafts can also be spread out further from one another.

I still believe you are going to see continued improvement as your transplanted hair fully matures.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    win,

Thank goodness you are now seeing improvemnent. And you are correct in how the longer hair can clump togethor and along with the effects of gravity, can make the hair look more sparse visually speaking.

There is an old saying in this field which states, "Shorter looks fuller". One of the docs I used to work for would occaisionally mention this to men who had more advanced classes of hairloss and never had the donor to fully cover their extent of hairloss.

He used to recommend cutting the hair down to a number 1 guide after he established lower ranges of restored density say on average 30 FUcm2 where there was no hair at all. These were men who had average caliber and also had more narrow color contrasts. Guys with more lighter hair color on fairer complexions.

This shorter length tended to produce more visual coverage because of how the hair shafts tended to stand more than hang, if that makes any sense, and this also allows more surface coverage because the grafts can also be spread out further from one another.

I still believe you are going to see continued improvement as your transplanted hair fully matures.
    I think you're right on. Ever since I got my hair cut shorter, I've felt significantly better. I'm lucky in that I still have a nearly full head of hair (Dr. Gabel said I'm about a NW1.5), but my front is starting to get a little thin, and the long bangs hanging down looked a little wispy. Of course, long hair only added to the problem, because it maximized the length difference between the graft hairs and my native hair. Now that the native hair is shorter, the transplanted growth looks more integrated. The right side of my hairline (which was advanced forward, creating a new hairline) now is completely indistinguishable from the native hair. On the right side, the hairs are coming in kinked/frizzy, so they still stand out a bit (I'm aware they'll straighten out).

The growth has really begun to mature in the last couple weeks, and I think I'm in a great position for 5.5 months. It's just a little crazy to see a new hairline that never existed before; I was transplanted with a relatively deep v-shape that is totally different from my natural hairline, but I really like it. The tip of the v touches my juvenile hairline, so when I part my hair, it really does look like I've got a juvenile hairline, because it covers the receded corners. It was a good strategy on the surgeon's part; it would have been stupid to transplant the entire hairline down to a juvenile point, but allowing the v to touch low creates a nice youthful look. For a non-IAHRS surgeon, I think I lucked out.

Dears, please i have loss of hair now from donor area but after one year from hair transplantation
    Now all the donor area appeared as bald area