+ Reply to Thread

Default 0.5mg every 3 days not enough fin? Increasing dosage

After slowly tapering onto propecia, I spent a good 7-8 months on a dosage of 0.5mg every 3 days. When the shedding started around nomal time, I expected good things, my hair seemed to shed a lot though
    But sadly I believe it has now returned and is a finer, more miniaturized group of hairs.
    At the beginning of the month I increased my dosage to 0.25mg/day to hopefully stabilize my hormones if that was a problem with getting results. I have some very fine hair and others that still have decent pigment, this is why I believe my dosage might have been too low, only helping some hairs
    Any opinions? I'm only 19 and my hairloss shouldn't be too bad to not have 0.25mg work for me
    Thanks

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I do think that smaller daily doses wowuld likely be more effective than every other or every third day dosing. This is because the half like of Finasteride is very short and it clears the system very fast. Therfore if not taking it every day you will have some of the medication in the system on some days but not on others.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

If you are having no issues with sides why not go to a daily dose to try help.

Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

I really appreciate the feedback. My situation is a little unorthodox and uncommon making it hard for most to contribute solid answers. But yeah I initally had some side effects (but many do) and I believe I am now good to go. I'll stay on my daily dose and hope for the best.

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks

Thanks for sharing your story. I've heard what the doc above ^ said about the half-life from many sources. Good to see you're patient enough to ease yourself onto a product which could prompt sides - smart kid.

Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

Any changes in shedding?

Thanks. In my position, losing hair drastically as I have as a 19 year old is really tough. After my main shed seemed to stop during the summer months I haven't been shedding as much, but now when hair falls it's always so fine. Like no pigment (and my hair is naturally dirty-blonde, brownish) and so thin. Now that I've been on 0.25mg/daily for a month, hopefully these currently shedding hairs and those I've already lost that have yet to return, will come back with more enthusiasm than the others I'm seeing

Thanks for the support

The half-life thing has always left me questioning dosage on days apart. On one side, I hear just as Dr. Charles mentioned that the half-life is about 6-8 hours so everyday may help me. On the other side I've heard that while finasteride breaks down quickly, the 5-AR enzyme inhibitor it affects takes multiple days to reproduce and begin working effectively again, so days apart could work.

I'm basically hoping this daily dosage will help in terms of 1. a now increased dosage and much more importantly 2. a stable finasteride-affecting hormone balance.