+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair shedding facts and phases

Are there any concrete facts on hair shedding that can be shared by people who have experienced these sheds in regards to the severity and their phase durations. The more knowledgeable users might want to share their research also. All are welcome to comment and share their stories

Its hard to find any hard facts. We all know Fin and Minox can cause sheds, which is usually a good sign, but what are the normal natural shedding patterns.

50 to 100 hairs loss a day is considered normal. Any amount of hair over that, might mean that something is wrong. This is given as fact when googling the topic. Surely this is wrong?

Wikipedia state that Anagen is the growth phase; Catagen is the regressing phase; and Telogen, the resting or quiescent phase.

The anagen phase, 2–3 years (occasionally much longer)
    catagen phase, 2–3 weeks
    telogen phase, around 3 months.

This table above must be for a person with normal non MPB normal hair grow as its clearly wrong. I'm sure like others I have been in the Catagen phase for over 3 weeks.

Some interesting questions arise from this.

If the Anagen phase is two to three years combating the Catagen phase is a key point in fighting MPB.

Are we MPB sufferers stuck in a never ending Catagen phase or is it simply longer than your normal Catagen phase?

If so can we expect to see 2-3 years of growth after our longer than normal Catagen phase? but I'm guessing the hair is too damaged to grow back like someone with a normal Anagen phase?

I think Neogenic aims to reduce the Catagen phase. The say a three month program (twice a year if needed) its whats needed. I guess that time line seems okay.

Are there any other products that fight the Catagen phase like this out there? or any other stories and facts ppl want to share about shedding.

How do you know your catagen phase is lengthened? Isn't that the Phase where it stops growing but hasn't fallen out yet? Everything that happens then is unseen, at the base of the hair follicle. Sorry I'm just not sure how you'd even be able to point out a hair in that stage haha

Quote Originally Posted by Buddho View Post
    How do you know your catagen phase is lengthened? Isn't that the Phase where it stops growing but hasn't fallen out yet? Everything that happens then is unseen, at the base of the hair follicle. Sorry I'm just not sure how you'd even be able to point out a hair in that stage haha
    You missed the point of the thread. I don't know anything concrete about the Catagen phase and thats why I am asking questions about it and shedding and throwing them open for debate. I'm not pointing anything out.

I also questioned all those facts from other sources in the post. If "haha" is all you have to offer its proably best you skip this thread and please try read the next one you read more carefully.

You said " I'm sure like others I have been in the Catagen phase for over 3 weeks."
    What makes you sure of this? This is what my previous comment points towards.

Here's the most concrete fact I can give you about the catagen phase, from wikipedia.
    "The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase.[7] It signals the end of the active growth of a hair. This phase lasts for about 2–3 weeks while the hair converts to a club hair. A club hair is formed during the catagen phase when the part of the hair follicle in contact with the lower portion of the hair becomes attached to the hair shaft. This process cuts the hair off from its blood supply and from the cells that produce new hair. When a club hair is completely formed, about a 2 week process, the hair follicle enters the telogen phase.

Try not to get so wound up over someone else over the internet having a laugh. Stress causes hair loss.

You said " I'm sure like others I have been in the Catagen phase for over 3 weeks."
    What makes you sure of this? This is what my previous comment points towards.

Here's the most concrete fact I can give you about the catagen phase, from wikipedia.
    "The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase.[7] It signals the end of the active growth of a hair. This phase lasts for about 2–3 weeks while the hair converts to a club hair. A club hair is formed during the catagen phase when the part of the hair follicle in contact with the lower portion of the hair becomes attached to the hair shaft. This process cuts the hair off from its blood supply and from the cells that produce new hair. When a club hair is completely formed, about a 2 week process, the hair follicle enters the telogen phase.

Try not to get so wound up over someone else over the internet having a laugh. Stress causes hair loss.