+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finasteride/depression? Other options?

Been on Fin for one and a half weeks and I've now read enough to scare me off of it for the moment.
    I'm now "tappering" off of it.

I've been unable to tell if the seemingly lower libido I have is from finasteride or depression from the recent realisation that I'm balding (not just getting a mature hairline like I ignorantly thought for so long).

But I've been reading alot about Fin since starting and I'm now thoroughly scared off of it.

Recent finding about Finasteride induced depression:
    The study found that in the group of patients with side effect resulting from Propecia, 75% reported that they suffered depression; 64% said they suffered moderate to severe depression; 39% had suicidal thoughts; and 5% agreed with the statement “I would like to kill myself.”
    In contrast, only 10% of the people in the control group experienced symptoms of depression, and only one man had thoughts of suicide.
    Maybe you could live with lower libido, but chemically induced depression is just not something you want to mess around with.

Other options:

I'm wondering what are peoples thoughts on just forgetting about potentially dangerous medications like this and just getting something like Hair Systems to cover receded and balding areas?

Or maybe waiting optimistically for the PGD2 inhibitor to come out and hope that it is the dream prevention of future hair loss and then get a hair transplant to make up what was lost before it came out?

I honestly couldn't care less if people knew I was wearing a peice/got a transplant. I just look so incredibly shit without hair due to a weird shaped dented head that I just don't want to look like that regardless if people think I'm being shallow or self concious.

Just wear it with confidence and if anyone asks, admit it openly like it's not a secret or a big deal.

The only obstacle is money. I think I could learn to live with a more poverty stricken lifestyle though.

I dont think Fin causes depression. I think balding itself causes depression.

and its probably impossible to distinguish the two.

If you keep reading only the negative it's gonna get to your head and you could end up getting off a drug that will most likely halt or slow down your hairloss considerably.

I've been on it for over 3 months now and I havent had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Citation required
    I've lost that particular link but it seems to be a study that was reported in August.
    If you search Finasteride + depression there is a tone of articles published in August about this study.

Note: I'm starting to feel like shit again as my temple is tingling nonstop and thinking I'll get back on fin just a lower dose....

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I dont think Fin causes depression. I think balding itself causes depression.

and its probably impossible to distinguish the two.

If you keep reading only the negative it's gonna get to your head and you could end up getting off a drug that will most likely halt or slow down your hairloss considerably.

I've been on it for over 3 months now and I havent had any problems.
    ooh so you don't think that Fin causes depression ? have you read the label for the hormone you take? Merck has it on the list of side effect's, and studies show a causal effect between these two factors. Just because you aren't experiencing side effects doesn't mean the others wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger norwood's View Post
    ooh so you don't think that Fin causes depression ? have you read the label for the hormone you take? Merck has it on the list of side effect's, and studies show a causal effect between these two factors. Just because you aren't experiencing side effects doesn't mean the others wouldn't.
    I'm not saying it doesnt. But baldness itself largely causes depression, so if you were depressed before and then you started on fin and all of a sudden you think fin caused your depression that's pretty crazy.

NOW if you were fairly content or happy before and then got quite depressed on fin, then yes it's probably fin causing that.

It's the kind of side effect that's dependant on the way the person is, if you're a generally happy person while your balding its very doubtful you'll get depressed on fin.(however again, I'm sure it is an actual side effect like the sexual sides, but the chances of getting these sides are rather small.)

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I'm not saying it doesnt. But baldness itself largely causes depression, so if you were depressed before and then you started on fin and all of a sudden you think fin caused your depression that's pretty crazy.

NOW if you were fairly content or happy before and then got quite depressed on fin, then yes it's probably fin causing that.

It's the kind of side effect that's dependant on the way the person is, if you're a generally happy person while your balding its very doubtful you'll get depressed on fin.(however again, I'm sure it is an actual side effect like the sexual sides, but the chances of getting these sides are rather small.)
    This. It's impossible to put percentages on this subject, sometimes it might be the drug other times it might just be because you're fricken balding.
    My bet is most of the time it's going to be the latter.

Actually, I've been feeling depress has well. It's not because I'm balding because my hair is doing better. I just felt so empty, it was an odd feeling that I never felt before. Like I didn't want to live anymore, really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Actually, I've been feeling depress has well. It's not because I'm balding because my hair is doing better. I just felt so empty, it was an odd feeling that I never felt before. Like I didn't want to live anymore, really weird.
    How long have you been on it?

Ive been on Fin for about a month now and i havent experienced any sexual side effects. I have been as horny as ever.. I have been depressed lately adn even thoguhts of suicide. But ive had those thoughts before so its hard to say if its actually fin causing it. I did just get my fix of weed this last weekend so depression is gone thnx to that. :]

Just wondering. Is it even possible to experience sides within a month?

over 13 months and yes, it is possible to experience sides withing a month.