+ Reply to Thread

Talking Not really a rant, actually a bit funny...

I've just started working on my hair loss situation. Earlier this month, my doctor called with the results of my blood work; I'm anemic, and she said that anemia can contribute to hair loss. I'm on an iron supplement now, so we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, I finally looked up exactly what anemia is and what that means for your body, and I found that symptoms include:
    1. Feeling grumpy
    2. Feeling weak or tired
    3. Headaches
    4. Problems concentrating or thinking
    It is possible that I have been anemic ever since I was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    I've just started working on my hair loss situation. Earlier this month, my doctor called with the results of my blood work; I'm anemic, and she said that anemia can contribute to hair loss. I'm on an iron supplement now, so we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, I finally looked up exactly what anemia is and what that means for your body, and I found that symptoms include:
    1. Feeling grumpy
    2. Feeling weak or tired
    3. Headaches
    4. Problems concentrating or thinking
    It is possible that I have been anemic ever since I was a teenager.
    I also believe I have anemia, my skin color is pale and I'm hispanic, and have the same syptoms that is on your list. lol Do you think people that suffer hair loss from the lack of iron(anemia) will regrowth their hair?

EDIT: do you take any iron pills, if so which one?

Default possibly

Yes, possibly. However, I was diagnosed with hereditary hair loss after all the tests that they ran on me. While my iron deficiency could be a contributing factor, fixing that will not likely fix my hair loss completely.

So like I was saying, my dermatologist did say that anemia could cause hair loss and possibly might be contributing to my hair loss. I talked to my primary care physician about this, and she told me to take 325mg of an elemental iron supplement first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of orange juice. If I found that caused constipation, then I could try 28mg of iron glycinate.

I went straight for the (hopefully) non-constipating version:
    Nature's Bounty Gentle Iron 28 mg Dietary Supplement Capsules

I take one of those a day... we'll see how it goes. Even if it doesn't help with my hair loss, then it might help with those other symptoms of anemia... and that would still be a good thing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    Yes, possibly. However, I was diagnosed with hereditary hair loss after all the tests that they ran on me. While my iron deficiency could be a contributing factor, fixing that will not likely fix my hair loss completely.

So like I was saying, my dermatologist did say that anemia could cause hair loss and possibly might be contributing to my hair loss. I talked to my primary care physician about this, and she told me to take 325mg of an elemental iron supplement first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of orange juice. If I found that caused constipation, then I could try 28mg of iron glycinate.

I went straight for the (hopefully) non-constipating version:
    Nature's Bounty Gentle Iron 28 mg Dietary Supplement Capsules

I take one of those a day... we'll see how it goes. Even if it doesn't help with my hair loss, then it might help with those other symptoms of anemia... and that would still be a good thing.
    Really interesting, I'm going to make an appointment to get myself check out. I bought some iron pills at walmart today, just in case. Thanks for the responds.