+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default I can't take it anymore, but too afraid to take Propecia

Hi everyone --

This is my first post. I'm 26 and have been losing hair for about 18 months now. I don't have a bald spot, but my formerly thick hair is now thin, wispy and limp, and where I used to have thick curls I know just have a lifeless, wispy hairline that has noticeable receding.

The emotional toll of this is getting really, really bad. Every time the slightest breeze blows I feel my wispy hair blow around out of place. I see hair coming out every time I take a shower, or even just shedding at my desk at work. This is becoming all I think about, all day. I'm severely depressed over this. I don't enjoy things I used to enjoy; I don't want to go out and see friends because I have no confidence. I don't care what I wear anymore because I don't feel attractive anyway. The worst part is that I know it's only going to get worse.

I've been using Minoxidil foam and Nizoral, but no noticeable difference from it. Minoxidil just makes my hair look crunchy and greasy during the day, so I can't even enjoy the hair I do have.

For the last 18 months, I've been agonizing over whether to take Propecia. I know it's my best bet to save my hair, but the horror stories have me absolutely terrified. I can't stand losing my hair, but if I was both bald AND completely impotent, I don't know what I'd do.

What's the consensus on here over the Propecia scare?

The propecia hate is largely fear mongering.

I'm personally on propecia, have been for close to 3 months and have had zero side effects. Countless others have had zero side effects.

Here's what i've gotten:
    -Millions use propecia everyday with little or no side effects from propecia.
    -At the same time millions are happy to use it every day as it at the very least slows or even halts your hairloss.
    -there's also a chance it could improve your hairloss(something in the range of 30%)

NOW as for side effects, take those millions, according to research and studies etc. the number of those that experience side effects(i.e impotence etc.) is around 4-7% of the millions. If you wanna round up it's around 10%.

HOWEVER that 4-7% is not permanent, some have it go away while on the drug, many others just get off of it and it stops.

Although there is a very small percentage, say 1% or less that have semi-permanent or ongoing effects, but that changes from each person and case.

After looking at the numbers, the risks are not all that high. Of course people are going to be online screaming about it, there's probably around a couple thousand of the million effected which will create a vocal minority.

It's your choice, I'm just saying weighing the pros and cons, it just made sense to at least try it and it honestly has halted or at least slowed my hairloss these past 3 months so far.

Well said. The reason that you read a lot if complaints is that generally people that have something to complain about will complain, where those who are happy dont say anything, they just get on with their lives.

I've been on Propecia for ten years, no side effects at all. Not saying that you wont get sides, just that you probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    NOW as for side effects, take those millions, according to research and studies etc. the number of those that experience side effects(i.e impotence etc.) is around 4-7% of the millions. If you wanna round up it's around 10%..
    10% is pretty high, mean there are around 100k have issues out of each million.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    HOWEVER that 4-7% is not permanent, some have it go away while on the drug, many others just get off of it and it stops.
    Although there is a very small percentage, say 1% or less that have semi-permanent or ongoing effects, but that changes from each person and case.
    How did you know the ppl who get permenant sides are less than 1% ? in propecia site it does not mention percentage, it just says that there are reported cases.

I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I bought into the fear mongering. I dove into a bottle of Jim Beam and was depressed. I waited 1 1/2 years to get on propecia and wish I started when I noticed my hair thinning. I've had great results and Im very pleased with it. Don't listen to the crazy stuff on the internet, go to a doctor and get real professional advice.

My brother, I was very concerned about propecia when I first started learning about hair loss, and pretty much ruled it out as a possible treatment. Since then I have put in time learning about it, and here are some of the conclusions I have made. If you are serious about treating your hairloss, and you don't experience negative sides, propecia is something you should be on. However, there is a possibility you will experience negative sides. Taking that initial leap is tough, and it is completely up to you. IF you do take it, come to peace with your decision. Having peace of mind is very important! To have peace of mind, do it the right way; see a doctor, get tests done, report to him/her if you start experiencing sides, and if I may suggest don't start with the recommended 1mg/day dosage. Here is a thread someone else started a while back, read what this guy says, and read some of the responses (in particular mind :P and read the links I posted) ----- > http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9343

Good luck, you are not alone.

I personally think Propecia had slow down my hair tremendously. I've been taking it for about 14 months now and I did have side effects. The first 2-3 months my penis didn't wanted to go up during sex, most of the time. I did made go out by thinking dirty and touching myself, horny goat weed help also. After that passed I could swore do you that my penis grew about an inch and I got hornier, above the average, I'll say. My ex gf was tripping out because she though I was taking some type of penis enlargement pill. So, the drug was a plus for me and I wont stop using it. I switch to proscar about a month ago because it was a lot affordable. That was the only sides I had gotten from Fin, give it a try man.

I have been on Propecia for 5 years and for me it has definately helped to slow down my hair loss - I even got some small regrowth on my temples which I had lost completely 5-10 years before !

Some reduction in libido but overall I am happy with my decision to start taking it.

"Obligatory dickbreak comment."

Quote Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    10% is pretty high, mean there are around 100k have issues out of each million.

How did you know the ppl who get permenant sides are less than 1% ? in propecia site it does not mention percentage, it just says that there are reported cases.
    10% is a rounded up number, most studies say about 5%, I was just being loose with the numbers trying to give a maximum.

If you're worried about 5% out of say 10 million people, you're probably almost as likely to get hit by a car walking out your door tomorrow.(maybe not quite, but you get the idea.)

EDIT: and as someone said above, dont start taking it expecting side affects at every moment, your mind can really mess with you in those cases.

The chances of anything permanent is very slim is what i'm saying. In fact i'd say only a couple people on this forum have anything permanent or semi-permanent from using it(chrisis, maybe one other), most were temporary or had nothing at all.