+ Reply to Thread

Default Making the Jump - What Can I Expect from Initial Consult

Hey Guys,

I think I am in the same boat as many of you out there who are suffering through some form of hair-loss...

Countless hours in front of the mirror...
    Late for work and appointments...
    An unnatural attachment to your baseball cap...
    Constant bouts with low self-esteem...
    Damage to personal relationships due to lack of sociability ...

And the inherent emasculation of being so consumed with one’s vanity…

Man, am I having a rough time. As I recently said to someone, this is becoming a 24 hour a day/7 day a week all consuming albatross.

Considering this, it seems non-sensical that I not pursue some help. The only catch is that I'm paralyzed with fear and embarassment... to the point of inaction.

The fear component is rooted in God forbid choosing the wrong route/doctor and getting poor results... but conquering this is step two.

Step one is getting past the embarassment and uncertainy that is preventing me from getting an initial consult.

What can I expect from such a consultation? How do good doctors make this process comfortable? Where do bad doctors go wrong? I'm interested to know what the right process is like -- from the waiting room back to the parking lot.

Any guidance will be much appreciated guys!

JM
    Los Angeles, CA

Hey man, you dont say if you are going to the doctor for a hair restoration consultation or just to find out whats happening up there and to get a script for propecia. I have no advice on the hair restoration part, but I know a lot of people on this board do. But if your just going to learn about propecia or rogaine, i can tell you thats its no big deal. I just went to my dermatoligist and told them that I thought I was starting to lose my hair, and they gave me a quick check and the prescription, it was as simple as that. Also if you do start propecia def get the coupon off the propecia website and get enrolled in the refund program, can save you a couple hundred bucks. Im not sure if I was of any help, but good luck!

Junior Member Dr James DeYarman's Avatar

Default Dr DeYarman/Hair Restoration/San Diego

JM
    I have never met a person that was glad they were losing their hair. You are not alone and you can do something now. Take action and turn this around and you will feel better about yourself.
    If you see a doctor like me, that does hair transplants full time, then you will feel comfortable in the office. The staff and other patients sympathize with you and understand your concerns.
    The consultation should accomplish two things. First you need to be educated on all forms of treatment and second have your balding pattern staged.
    My consultation always includes photographs of your head both in a dry and wet state. The wet condition will help you understand what to expect to happen in the next 20 years.
    Most people start out with medical treatment to try and stabilize their hair loss.
    If you are thinking about a hair transplant and you under the age of thirty then you have to be very careful on what you do. Remember you can always do the hair transplant. The safe hair transplant is the pure follicular transplant. This avoids any unnatural hair growth. If you are under the age of 30 then you have to remember that baldness is for the rest of your life and there is only so much donor hair for transplanting. If you elect to have a hair transplant be careful of lowering the hair line too much and avoid the crown of the head.
    Last if you do not want to see the doctor in person then email photos of yourself to the physician and have a phone consultation.
    This forum will help you make the right decision.
    Good Luck
    Dr DeYarman