+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I do want to sincerely thank all of you; Still-Researching, northeastguy, sp8rky, and win200. If it weren't for you I would have gone through with this transplant, which would have led to me making a terrible decision that I would forever regret. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

I'm going to continue using liquid Rogaine 5% once a day, and as soon as I get my hands on a bottle of Nizoral I'll start using that twice a week. Should I augment or add anything to this regiment? Also, is there any shampoo you recommend for the days I don't use Nizoral?

Thanks again, guys.

I really am so pleased for you, and I must confess a bit jealous. I didn't have anyone to warn me off of my unnecessary hair transplant at age 22, there was no internet to speak of and no FUE, and a greedy Dr hellbent on getting me in the chair. The first time I went there, I did actually back down and drove home! Then a few days later he phoned me and asked me if I still wanted it done and somehow talked me into it. I regretted it literally hours after it was done, he didn't do a good job and I had more surgery to cover up his mess, but that just made it worse. I'm only just repaired now after a lot of years.

I was lucky that I didn't lose anymore hair, either propecia works really well for me or I wasn't going to lose my hair anyway!

Do look into Saw Palmetto, people say there are no studies to show it works but as it is a natural product that can't be patented, who would pay for such a study? I personally know someone who has grown hair on his hairline from Saw Palmetto.

There will be more medicines coming onto the market in the future to treat hairloss, so keep your chin up!

Quote Originally Posted by sp8rky View Post
    I really am so pleased for you, and I must confess a bit jealous. I didn't have anyone to warn me off of my unnecessary hair transplant at age 22, there was no internet to speak of and no FUE, and a greedy Dr hellbent on getting me in the chair. The first time I went there, I did actually back down and drove home! Then a few days later he phoned me and asked me if I still wanted it done and somehow talked me into it. I regretted it literally hours after it was done, he didn't do a good job and I had more surgery to cover up his mess, but that just made it worse. I'm only just repaired now after a lot of years.

I was lucky that I didn't lose anymore hair, either propecia works really well for me or I wasn't going to lose my hair anyway!

Do look into Saw Palmetto, people say there are no studies to show it works but as it is a natural product that can't be patented, who would pay for such a study? I personally know someone who has grown hair on his hairline from Saw Palmetto.

There will be more medicines coming onto the market in the future to treat hairloss, so keep your chin up!
    This is all sage advice, though I would add some caution about Saw Palmetto. The benefit is that, because it can't be patented, there's no monopoly and it's nice and cheap. On the other hand, also because it can't be patented, we don't know much about it and it hasn't been studied. Spencer Kobren has cautioned about its use on his show--"You're playing with nature's pharmacy." It may very well work similarly to Propecia, and it may not. One of the maddening things about hair loss treatments is that it's frequently very difficult or impossible to determine a product's efficacy or detriment without controlled studies. If someone claims that a product made them shed more, perhaps they were simply going through a natural shedding phase. Or maybe they were shedding the same amount and just happened to notice more hair. (Monitoring shedding is inherently pretty imprecise, because we lose hair all throughout the day, so it's not as if we have a nice accurate count of how many hair we're losing throughout the day. Also, people with shorter hair may not notice shedding as much, because when the hairs fall out they fly off the head, whereas with longer hair it tends to get caught with the other hairs and come out during shampooing, making it seem like the person is losing an inordinate amount of hair.)

Anyway, my point with Saw Palmetto is not to simply leap onto it without thinking carefully. Some people think it's innocuous, but there are plenty of folks who believe that it may be a similar side effect profile to Propecia. Just because your natural vitamin shop stocks it doesn't mean it's completely benign and wonderful.

Well I did say look into it, rather than take it. Good to caution though.

Just found this thread. Happy to see you're going to hold off for now. That's a wise decision which you certainly won't regret. Maybe in your late 20s or early 30s the time will be right for HT. Maybe better treatments will be around then or maybe you won't care about hairloss.

You've made the right decision for now. Well done. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dmac18 View Post
    So here's my story. I started noticing a receding hairline when I was about 18, maybe even a little earlier. I took accutane around that age as well, I don't know if that caused my hair loss or not. Can anyone attest to that? But my hairline has gotten slightly worse up until now. It bothers me quite a bit, crushes the self esteem, etc etc. I've decided to use Rogaine on my receding hairline, but I do not want to use Propecia in any shape or form. I have already booked a Hair Transplant with Dr. Jerry Cooley for 1000 grafts. But now I am starting to get cold feet, since I won't be taking the Propecia the potential to lose my native hair is high. Getting cold feet is a bit of an understatement, I'm actually freaking out quite a bit.

I originally thought I could just get a hair transplant now to buy me some time until other technologies come out in the near future. That way when my mpb progresses the new technologies would be available to replace any native hair loss behind my transplant.

Can anyone please tell me what to do? Thank you in advance. Please feel free to share your experiences as well, it would be greatly appreciated. I've included pictures, just click the links below, and please let me know if I can offer any more information.

front
    right side
    left side
    I didn't bother reading the other posts but dude wtf that hair line is awesome... I'm 3 years your elder and wish I could have that .

Quote Originally Posted by JudeL View Post
    I didn't bother reading the other posts but dude wtf that hair line is awesome... I'm 3 years your elder and wish I could have that .
    Thanks JudeL. That's really nice of you to say. I hope all of your hair-related expenditures are going well!

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Researching View Post
    I would wait a few more years and then I would also seriously consider taking Proscar/Propecia, try it and get off it if you get side effects - I have taken it now for 2 years without anything else than a bit of watery semen from times to times.

Your hairline is great for a HT, but you need to ensure you stop your hair loss, unless your whole family history is NW2 maximum, which is unlikely with your loss at your age.

I think your brain is telling you what to do - a HT without medication in your age, gives a very high likelihood for a problematic outcome, as you will continue to loose hair without proscar/propecia - Rogaine does not stop hairloss. So you may get a nice hairline but your native hair will continue to shed.

Good luck.
    Is it still working for you in 2019 ??