+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine & Weight Gain

So this is my first post, hi. Anyways I'm 27 and have been showing signs of balding for about a decade now. I finally decided to do something about it and, with the advice of the internet, bought wal-mart's version of rogaine: equate.

Anyways, I'm on day three of it now and haven't noticed any side effects other than the number on my scale going up. Is it possible for this to only happen within three days? Am I overreacting? Has anyone else experienced sudden weight gain and if so how do you deal with it?

I don't want to have to give up on fighting balding but I'd rather be thin and bald than fat with some more hair.

i don't see how putting something on your scalp will make you gain weight, if that's a possibility then it would have been mentioned on the labels of rogaine as potential side effect.

If it happened in three days, it's probably not fat. You'd be surprised by how many pounds of water you can gain in three days. Probably as surprised as you'd be by how few pounds of fat you can gain in three days.

Whether it's the minoxidil causing it, I don't know, but it's probably not fat anyway.

Seriously? 3 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazoid View Post
    Seriously? 3 days?

Yeah, I'm probably overreacting. I'm very active (cyclist, 200 miles a week) as well as the gym. I'm just paranoid about the side effects. Like I said I'm new to this, I got away with a stealthy combover for YEARS and nobody knew unless my hair got sweaty or wet.

I just really want for this rogaine to work. I'm at peace with my receding hairline but the thinning hair bald spot drives me nuts.

Also, my hair is super oily in the mornings and it looks horrible. I'm wondering what I can do to work around this. Blowdry? Lightly rub towel on hair after it's sat for half an hour? Just apply at night? I'm looking forward to reading as many posts on this site to get as much help as possible.

I was over 92kgs before using minox for the first time.

That was about 11years ago.

I'm 72kg now.

Do u have pics?
    Depending on your situation / balding - the best treatment is FIN, MINOX and NIZROL shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    If it happened in three days, it's probably not fat. You'd be surprised by how many pounds of water you can gain in three days. Probably as surprised as you'd be by how few pounds of fat you can gain in three days.

Whether it's the minoxidil causing it, I don't know, but it's probably not fat anyway.
    Its certainly not fat.

To gain one pound of fat you need to consume ~3500 calories in excess of your caloric maintenance, which is ~1700

and then you need to continue consuming at maintenance or above for it to "stick" around.

If you gained weight from it, then you are putting WAY too much on your scalp, I don't think the dosage weighs more than a few grams.