+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The same question, again.

I have asked this question a while back but never got a reply. So, I'm asking it again and I hope I get a reply. Even one reply.
    Like I mentioned before, I have decided I'm getting another HT (probably 600 grafts) in the hairline but I'm really scared this time because I feel my scalp is tight now after 4 previous HTs and I don't know if it would be ok to get another FUT. My doctor is confident about it and he says 500-600 isn't a lot, but I forgot to ask him how much scalp (the size of the strip) that would be. I don't want to go a third time just to ask this question. So, any body knows how much (scalp) is removed to get 600 hairs?

Any doctors here care to answer (if they read the question)?

If dr. Gho had a clinic here in N. America I would've done it with him but this whole travel thing is just too much of a headache however, I'd like to know, how does he do his consultation with patients? Online or does he have offices in different countries like some other doctor do? Does he reject some patients?

I'm not that up to date on transplants, but why not go FUE? Wouldn't that remove the worry of removing a bunch of scalp?

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I have asked this question a while back but never got a reply. So, I'm asking it again and I hope I get a reply. Even one reply.
    Like I mentioned before, I have decided I'm getting another HT (probably 600 grafts) in the hairline but I'm really scared this time because I feel my scalp is tight now after 4 previous HTs and I don't know if it would be ok to get another FUT. My doctor is confident about it and he says 500-600 isn't a lot, but I forgot to ask him how much scalp (the size of the strip) that would be. I don't want to go a third time just to ask this question. So, any body knows how much (scalp) is removed to get 600 hairs?

Any doctors here care to answer (if they read the question)?

If dr. Gho had a clinic here in N. America I would've done it with him but this whole travel thing is just too much of a headache however, I'd like to know, how does he do his consultation with patients? Online or does he have offices in different countries like some other doctor do? Does he reject some patients?

600 hairs divided by your hair density per cm square is the amount of scalp that needs removing in units of cm square , No ??

Thanks to those who replied.

I still cannot make up my mind although I almost picked up the phone last Fri to make an appointment for another FUT but again, I can't get the fear (the fear of not having enough elasticity in my scalp) out of my head this time around. I've been through this 5 fcuking times already but I know I will have to do another one soon and even more as my hair loss progresses and I just don't know how much more we can keep taking out. The thing is, my doctor says it's doable.

FUTs and FUEs both have their positives and negatives.

The things I don't like about FUEs is that you have to shave your head (the donor site), which I cannot do. The second and even more important is the lower survival rate of the grafts. I've already done 4000 grafts and I can't waste any of what's left and I KNOW I WILL need to do more HTs in the future. Also, there's the cost part. FUEs cost twice more and after having spent more than $22,000 over the years I'm trying to minimize the expenses (on this hell).

I just wish Gho had a clinic here. I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's a shame because I believe in his method but I don't think I can do the travel and all the extra headache and expenses.

Unfortunately, I still don't have an answer to my question.

Thanks to those who replied.

I still cannot make up my mind although I almost picked up the phone last Fri to make an appointment for another FUT but again, I can't get the fear (the fear of not having enough elasticity in my scalp) out of my head this time around. I've been through this 5 fcuking times already but I know I will have to do another one soon and even more as my hair loss progresses and I just don't know how much more we can keep taking out. The thing is, my doctor says it's doable.

FUTs and FUEs both have their positives and negatives.

The things I don't like about FUEs is that you have to shave your head (the donor site), which I cannot do. The second and even more important is the lower survival rate of the grafts. I've already done 4000 grafts and I can't waste any of what's left and I KNOW I WILL need to do more HTs in the future. Also, there's the cost part. FUEs cost twice more and after having spent more than $22,000 over the years I'm trying to minimize the expenses (on this hell).

I just wish Gho had a clinic here. I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's a shame because I believe in his method but I don't think I can do the travel and all the extra headache and expenses.

Unfortunately, I still don't have an answer to my question.
    i beleive if you have any fear from FUT why to risk it specially for a very small number of grafts where cost shouldn't be a very big deal, so i would say if you planning to stay in the states just go for FUE man, you will have a faster recovery and at least you will be playing it safe.
    but again if you can travel, HST is your best option for the following reasons:
    1) regenertion
    2) very fast recovery, a matter of couple of days
    3) you don't have to shave your donor area as traditional FUE

Quote Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    i beleive if you have any fear from FUT why to risk it specially for a very small number of grafts where cost shouldn't be a very big deal, so i would say if you planning to stay in the states just go for FUE man, you will have a faster recovery and at least you will be playing it safe.
    but again if you can travel, HST is your best option for the following reasons:
    1) regenertion
    2) very fast recovery, a matter of couple of days
    3) you don't have to shave your donor area as traditional FUE
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm actually in canada (west coast). It is very tempting to go the Gho way and I had been looking into it but the travel and the extra cost and also the long waiting time (to get the procedure with Gho) are what's holding me back. But I'm surprised to read the "you don't have to shave your donor..." part. I thought shaving is a must with this method or with FUE. Are you sure no shaving is required?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm actually in canada (west coast). It is very tempting to go the Gho way and I had been looking into it but the travel and the extra cost and also the long waiting time (to get the procedure with Gho) are what's holding me back. But I'm surprised to read the "you don't have to shave your donor..." part. I thought shaving is a must with this method or with FUE. Are you sure no shaving is required?
    Yeah, when i went through with my op they asked me whether it's ok to shave the donor or not.. there is also another guy called gc83uk who had 2 HSTs done so far, and never shaved his donor (they just shave a part of it)...

The question is answered in their FAQ:

Should I have my hair cut before the transplant, or let it grow as long as possible?

If you wish the donor area to be covered after the treatment, we recommend that you grow your hair on the back and sides to a length of at least 8 cm. Be advised that the best results are obtained if we shave the entire head, although for obvious, aesthetical reasons, this is not generally done on women (unless explicitly requested).

Victim,

There are several docs who do FUE well that do not require the donor to be shaven. Having a smaller procedure like 600 grafts is perfect for non-shaven FUE.

If adequate laxity is an issue, don"t do strip, period. You do not want to risk having a wider noticable strip scar after everything you have been through. You clearly are more of a FUE candidate IMHO, yet I respect your decisions.

In addition, to answer your question about the size of a strip if you were to have strip again, is not as clear as you may want it to be. Why do I say that? Because it depends where the surgeon would be excising your next strip specimen. Again, if laxity is an issue with you, then you certainly do not want the next strip to be excised from the same area as the last four were right? I am assuming that your prior strips were taken from the same area within the occipital zone.

In addition if you did another strip, the specimen cannot be very wide with tighter laxity, certainly not anything over 1 cm wide. And the other missing part of the equation is what is the density in your occipital zone after four prior strips? Is it consistent especially near the prior stip scar? Do you have multiple strip scars there or did they continually take out the previous scar so you are left with one linear strip scar at the present time? If they keep taking out the previous strip scar then the density within that next specimen may not harvest as many grafts as initially thought.

The implication then is that they would have to take a longer strip so that the width can be maintained as lean as possible to prevent it from healing too wide. You may need to be closed with staples or a double closing technique to help ensure a thinner scar outcome when healed.

Also, some very talented docs can potentially take the strip a tad bit wider where there is more laxity noted and thinner where it is tighter within the occipital zone where most strips are excised. This however requires a high level of skill.

If the density within the proposed area of excision varies alot, it may be more difficult to calculate the available/harvestable FUs per cm2 within that next strip specimen. In a virgin scalp, that density is more uniform to calculate. The point is the doctor will need to determine the length of the strip based on how many FUs he can excised from say a proposed 1 cm wide specimen.

In other words, if the density is at say at 60 FU cm2, then he would need to take no less than a 10 cm long strip at 1 cm wide to harvest 600 FUs or 600 grafts. The surgeon would probably take it a tad bit longer, maybe 12 cm long to get a few extras in the event of a few transected grafts from dissecting the strip specimen. Keep in mind I am using an arbitrary number for your present donor density level where prior strips were already taken. I used 60 FUs per cm2 to keep the example simple to follow. If the available FUs are at a higher density level, that's good for you, meaning a smaller strip specimen. Remember, 600 grafts is not the same as 600 hairs. 600 grafts will produce more than 600 individual visible hair shafts.

Some surgeons might suggest taking the strip from a totally new harvest area where the density is more uniform and where there may be more laxity to make the strip wider and not as long. Some may want to explore taking the next strip from just above the ear or parietal zones but I would discourage you from doing that. The scar could be more visible one day as you age.

FUE is sounding better and better all of the time is it not? I am also being careful as to not direct you to either strip or FUE but considering you already had four prior strips taken, I'll let you decide what is best for you. In addition, you never had FUE before right?

The cost difference in comparing 600 grafts between FUE and strip is roughly $2400 US. You may also want to consider those docs proficient at both strip and FUE to get the most broader of opinions.

Anyways, I hope this has been helpful to answer your question my good friend and I always wish the best for you Victim. I know you have been through alot.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thank you so much gillenator for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I really appreciate that. To answer your question, no. I've never had an FUE before. There is no doubt in my mind FUE in my case would be the better and safer option, but last time I saw my doctor (dr. Wong/H&W) he assured me that it was still possible (without any problems) to do FUT on me but he did recommend to do the scalp stretching exercise which he almost always do anyway.

I think all 4 strips were taken from the same place as I can see no more than one scar, which actually doesn't look that bad right now but the doctor did say he was going to make it look even better.

I think I have good density but I'm not sure about numbers. I also have thick wavy hair but again after 4 HTs I feel I'm pushing my luck. The only thing is I know 600 grafts can't be big (strip), and that's why I'm thinking maybe it's not going to be as bad as I might think. If it's going to be say 2 inches long by 1/4 wide then that's not bad.

I have a tough decision to make but the convenience of not having to travel (within or outside the country), and the lower price of FUT vs FUE (at least $ 2000 more for the same # of grafts) and again the small number of grafts I'd be getting (small strip which shouldn't be a problem) are making me lean toward an FUT. The other thing, like the doctor said, since I already have a scar, there's no point of going FUE at least at this point and with my elasticity being somewhat ok.

I'm not a gambler but it looks like I'm going to have to take a chance and hope nothing goes wrong.

Thanks again gillenator. Also thank you aim4hair for the reply.

You are very welcome Victim. Also gald to hear that your density is even better than first thought. Anyway, I purposely made my example toward the worse end of things, meaning lower density, tighter laxity. Chances are your proposed strip specimen would be smaller and obviously you are in good hands.

Your laxity also sounds better than I imagined and Dr. Wong would never risk taking a strip too wide.

My deepest wish for you is a good long lasting yield in your next procedure!

Best wishes to you my good friend.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin