+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it true you need to be on Fin....

Is it true you need to be on Finasteride if you plan for a FUE hair transplant?

So, if im not on finasteride, in time, the transplanted hair will grow thin and fall out as well, and not grow back.

Also, FUE gets hair from all over, not just the sweet spot, so chances of impermanent hair is more....I think ???

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post

So, if im not on finasteride, in time, the transplanted hair will grow thin and fall out as well, and not grow back.

Also, FUE gets hair from all over, not just the sweet spot, so chances of impermanent hair is more....I think ???
    Hairs that were never going to fall out won't fall out no matter where they are. Donor dominance? They call it something like that. But all the hair around donated hair will continue to fall out, yeah. That's a big decision, man.

I think some people are of the "go big or go home" mentality for hair transplants. Meaning either get on fin and do everything you can, or just don't get a transplant. Personally, I think there's a lot of merit to the idea. I just chose the "go home" side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    Personally I think if a person is not willing to use the medication that can stop the loss and use the medication that can grow some of the lost hair back, there is no point in even considering hair transplant surgery of any kind. Why bother? I mean really? Why bother?

Its because drs dont want you to be stuck with an island of 'nonsence hair' if the rest of your hair behind your transplanted hair falls out.

many doctors i consulted with recommended Fin or Minox after HTs, so if you don't wanna use fin because of sides, you can give minox a try and see if it works for you (of course Fin is more effective but using Minox could be better than nothing).
    some ppl decide to take the HT path without being on meds, and plan to go for multiple HTs as they lose more native hair. Remember, not everybody will end up being nw6 or nw7, so for many ppl, hairloss could stop without any meds since they are not programmed to be nw6 or nw7, so in some cases you might not take meds and not even need another HT.

My personal opinion is that, if you are not planning to take meds and still wanna go for an HT, just avoid FUT because of the linear scar which will prevent you from cuttining your hair short if you lose more native hair and decide not to continue with the HT path.
    Just go for something with minimal scaring, such as HST (scarless) or FUE (little white dot scars, which are still not that bad and you can get away with shaving).

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

Finasteride is not a requirement for being a good candidate for any hair transplant procedure. The role of finasteride is in preventing progression of the hair loss, which in the long run can be of critical importance.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Personally I think if a person is not willing to use the medication that can stop the loss and use the medication that can grow some of the lost hair back, there is no point in even considering hair transplant surgery of any kind. Why bother? I mean really? Why bother?
    You make it sound so simple when it's not. Some people cannot tolerate finasteride. Some people are not prepared to take the risk. Nevertheless hair transplant surgery may still be an option for them.