+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How long do you have to use minoxidil to have a shed after quitting?

How long do you have to use minoxidil to have a shed after quitting?

I used it for 7 weeks and stopped due to sides. I am worried I will have this HORRIBLE shed everyone speaks of on this forum 3 months after quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    How long do you have to use minoxidil to have a shed after quitting?

I used it for 7 weeks and stopped due to sides. I am worried I will have this HORRIBLE shed everyone speaks of on this forum 3 months after quitting.
    Why worry about something you might not even get? You worrying will just stress you out doing more damage then good. Everyones body is different so no one can answer your question. Your body is not the same as there's. Relax

New question

Has anyone here ever quit minoxidil, and not had a shed 3 months later?

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    New question

Has anyone here ever quit minoxidil, and not had a shed 3 months later?
    Good Q - i quit it around two months ago - after 14 months usage - and i'm awaiting payback, fingers crossed, i'm hoping it wont come!...

Normal hair shedding usually goes unnoticed. However, at the onset of telogen effluvium after stopping minox, 3 months later, hair shedding increases by 25%.

In acute telogen effluvium, ie, the acute onset of telogen hair loss 2 to 3 months after stopping minox, regrowth is not visible for 3 to 6 months. However, recovery can be expected to be complete (back to baseline/where you would be without using it.)

I have been on and off minox numerous times - only notice a shed when I get back on .... Cheers!

Default Minoxidil is a crap treatment and im mad I ever even used it.

Minoxidil Clinical Trial Results

Dermatologists conducted a one-year observational study in 984 men with male pattern hair loss. The study evaluated the effectiveness of a 4.5% minoxidil topical solution in halting hair loss and stimulating new hair growth, as well as the patients’ perceptions of efficacy and side effects. Over the one-year period of study, patients applied 1 ml of 4.5% minoxidil solution twice per day to hair-loss areas of the scalp. Every three months during the study, patients collected hair lost during washing and sent it to a laboratory for counting.

At the end of one year

The dermatological investigators reported that hair-loss areas of the scalp had become smaller in 62 percent of the patients, unchanged in 35 percent, and larger in three percent.

In evaluating minoxidil’s effectiveness for stimulating hair regrowth, the investigators found the 5% solution very effective in 16 percent of patients, effective in 48 percent, moderately effective in 21 percent, and ineffective in 16 percent.

Hairs lost during washing numbered a mean 70 at the beginning of the study, and a mean 34 at the end of the study — a measure of the effectiveness of 4.5% minoxidil in halting hair loss in the patients studied.

The mean score of patient satisfaction on a scale of 0 (extremely dissatisfied) to 10 (very satisfied) increased from 2.9 at the beginning of the study to 4.4 at the end. Patient satisfaction scores were lower than the estimates of the investigating physicians, who rated efficacy of treatment as good or very good 25 percent more often than did the patients.

Dammit. When will bimatoprost for scalp be available. I have no doubt it will be 2 or 3x more effective.

Well, to answer this question. its 1.5 months.

My hair is shedding like crazy now. Its scary as hell. 3 months and 1 week after stopping. God i wish i never ever used that poison. Literally 100+ hairs come out in the shower and my hair has become much thinner in literally 1 week!

Now the question is.... Has anyone ever recovered from the shed

I have heard it takes 6-7 months from the time you stop to see your real baseline

I have also heard ppl say its permanently screwed their hair... but this usually comes from the ppl who get scared at first sight of shedding after quitting and jump back on minox poison just to have another start shed and crappy results and a bloated face

I dont want to say it stopped working for me, but Minoxidil got to the point for me where I would go off it for a few days and just start shedding like crazy. I would shed while on it to as more time went by, it really only helped out for a year or so by slowing down my hairloss.(I'd be a NW4 without it, i'm a NW3.)

had to go on propecia(where I stopped shedding immediately up until now, month 3, but I believe this shed is a good thing)