+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice / Opinions on Propecia to Proscar Switch plz?

QUESTION AT THE BOTTOM....

About a week ago I started taking Proscar, having been on Propecia for about 4 years. I was gradually losing ground due to the aggressiveness of my MPB as it is common in my family. When I originally started balding I was losing a tonne of hairs everyday visibly. In the last few years that number is ever so slight, however I am still fighting an uphill battle as my hair is visibly getting worse.

I decided recently to switch from Propecia 1mg to Proscar (generic) 1.25mg because :

a) to save some money as the $85 a month is pricey
    b) by upping my dosage from 1mg Finasteride (propecia) to 1.25mg Finasteride (proscar generic) - thinking it maybe will improve my gradual slide.

QUERY

*I have started shedding like a mofo. I feel like I'm shedding just as much as when I originally started balding.

I've seen a few stories online about this shedding and some people even switching back to propecia cause they are scared. I don't understand why it would create such a shed if it is the same drug primarily? It surely wouldn't be to a 0.25mg dosage difference? I can't find any data that shows propecia actually contains anything different to get better results than the finasteride. Also, the drug-fillers are more or less the same too. I've sometimes forgot to take propecia for days at a time and never really shedded this bad.

Any thoughts on whether to switch back to Propecia quickly or continue on with Proscar? My gut feeling is actually to do Proscar but consider adding something else to my regime, another inhibitor... Or something?

Cheers,

Sam

Also, what'd be great is to hear from people who have switched from 1mg propecia to Proscar and hear their positive / negative experiences?

Sam

Hi Sammo. I will be interested to hear what people have to say about this too

I switch to proscar has well, hmmm about a month ago and I did shed but not has much. I was also on rogaine, emu oil, folligen and Spiro 5%.

Sammo I'll suggest you that you should go for Propecia back. Because you are having a hair loss, and Porpecia is used for hair loss, If you will not go for it then you may have heavy hair loss which is not good for you. and you may also look ugly.

manuka honey

hey dex, thanks for the reply.

So you did notice a change in the body obviously through the shed.

Its kinda weird cause one would assume if its the same drug it shouldn't really invoke any shedding.

Unless ofcourse it is the body adjusting to the extra 0.25mg?

Sam

I have also experience the same! I started shed when i went on proscar and wondering how it can bee. Have used proscar 4 some months now and i´m still shedding. Should i go back on propecia?

Default bump?

This is a pretty big suggestion n claim. im really surprised ppl arnt chipping more into it. i also have read that proscar doesnt distribute the finasteride evenly in the pills meaning u will get varying doses constantly. also not too mention the consistency of finasteride in system is possibly a key to tricking the body to grow your hair.

What is the brand and source of your generic proscar? There are bogus generics out there and your case sounds like a textbook case. As far as consistency with dosing it isn't really that crucial. The studies done with fin show little difference in effectiveness between lower doses of say 0.5mg up to 5mg. Also slight variations in the daily dose won't have much effect, after continued use the level of drug in your system will stabilize and daily variations shouldn't have much effect.

I can't believe it would make any difference what so ever (assuming a reputable source)

It's like saying tylenol is better than acetaminophen. You are only paying for the name - that's it. It's just a question of dosage.