+ Reply to Thread

Default Red scalp after HT + Fake tan ??

Ok here is a good one .

I see lot of people after the shock loss ,their scalp turn red and stay like that for a while which looks awful for months .

Could fake tanning lotion be a remedy for this , i am talking some good quality stuff like st tropez which contains aloe vera and is supposed to be good for skin while gradually tanning it .

http://www.beautybay.com/skincare/st...dymoisturiser/

Or do we think it would be harmful to the recipient area and damage planted grafts ??

You know Vinny, those self-tanning products may very well help hide the effects of post-op lingering redness. The patient just wants to be sure that all healing has taken place in the epidermis.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    You know Vinny, those self-tanning products may very well help hide the effects of post-op lingering redness. The patient just wants to be sure that all healing has taken place in the epidermis.
    So are you saying this would be harmful to the recipient or not ?

The earliest this would be used is after 20+ days (shock loss) where i would expect all the planted grafts would be fully settled down .

I thought this is a very valid and unique question that interests pretty much everyone that is looking to get a HT . I am surprised no one else has replied

I think it would most likely be fine, but I still wouldn't do it, just in case it's not fine. I doubt anyone could give you a definitive answer.

vinnytr,

What I am saying is that it is clearly advisable to allow the outer layer of the scalp (epidermis) to completely heal before applying "any" topicals including tanning products. This would include minoxidil, Nioxin, and the like.

Twenty days out from surgery should be just fine. That's roughly three weeks post-op and most patients will have healed their epidermis by then. In other words, there should not be any "open wounds" from the recipient incisions and most scabbing/crusting would normally be gone by then as well.

IMHO, you are fine using the product at this point in time post-op.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    vinnytr,

What I am saying is that it is clearly advisable to allow the outer layer of the scalp (epidermis) to completely heal before applying "any" topicals including tanning products. This would include minoxidil, Nioxin, and the like.

Twenty days out from surgery should be just fine. That's roughly three weeks post-op and most patients will have healed their epidermis by then. In other words, there should not be any "open wounds" from the recipient incisions and most scabbing/crusting would normally be gone by then as well.

IMHO, you are fine using the product at this point in time post-op.

Thanks for the reply

You're welcome Vinny and best wishes to you!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

After my FUE I had red dots and blemishes in the recipient area for months after and started using a light make up concealer to hide them when necessary (since I had to travel a lot). I wore a hat until the transplanted hair had completely healed and I have worn one pretty much 24/7 since it appears nothing is growing. I would just advise not putting anything there until it has healed. I have heard also that until the follicles start to grow that there is the possibility of ingrowns if you sweat a lot or if the follicles are blocked, but I think this is rare and dependant on the individual.