+ Reply to Thread

Default Chronic Telogen Effluvium worsening mpb

I've had a bout of TE for well over a year now. I've been to a hair dermotoligist and we've tried numerous things (diet change, allergy tests, blood tests, exercise, medications) and have been unable to find the trigger. He doesn't seem to believe in stress being the cause even though my worst bout of stress/anxiety/depression was when it all started. Since it's been going on so long it's really sped up my mpb which usually occurs in men in my family in their early forties (I'm 32). My question is could Rogaine be a second trigger of my TE? After several months of TE I started Rogaine and it really hasn't done much for it. I wondering if my initial trigger was the stress and now the Rogaine is just prolonging it because I have sensitive skin. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by itssomuchfun View Post
    I've had a bout of TE for well over a year now. I've been to a hair dermotoligist and we've tried numerous things (diet change, allergy tests, blood tests, exercise, medications) and have been unable to find the trigger. He doesn't seem to believe in stress being the cause even though my worst bout of stress/anxiety/depression was when it all started. Since it's been going on so long it's really sped up my mpb which usually occurs in men in my family in their early forties (I'm 32). My question is could Rogaine be a second trigger of my TE? After several months of TE I started Rogaine and it really hasn't done much for it. I wondering if my initial trigger was the stress and now the Rogaine is just prolonging it because I have sensitive skin. Any thoughts?
    I read on the internet, if the stress you've been experiencing isn't allievated, then no hair product will work - ever! Stress causes DHT to increase dramatically, and extreme emotional stress is worse. So, I believe you're very stressed - whether it's about money, life, job, or other. Look back when your stress started and see what life event happened. If it can be fixed or eliminated, the hair products will start working.

Look back when your stress started and see what life event happened. If it can be fixed or eliminated, the hair products will start working.
    So Quicktheloss are you saying that treatments dont work as effectively when you are stressed? What about the hair that falls during the stressful period? Do you believe the hair can be regained with meds 1-3 months later?

That's the thing. The stressor is, for the most part gone. Yes there is day-to-day stressful situations that we all deal with, but nothing like the period I had gone through for about 9 months. It's been another nine months and still it's the same. That's why this thing is so vexing. That's why I'm wondering if starting Rogaine after the first six months of it all might be contributing to its continuation. I'm grasping straws.