+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Propecia - Every Other day?

Hi,

I am the classic star propecia patient. I have been on for 2.5 years with fantastic results. About 4 weeks I had a real scare regarding possible long term sides of propecia. I decided to go see my doctor and he suggested a 'medication holiday' where I get off the medication for a few weeks and then decide how I want to proceed in a more calm mental state.

I've been off propecia for about 4 weeks. I am noticing some shedding (about 10 - 15 hairs). I did re-start propecia today.

My intent is to take one every other day for the next few months. I just want to limit the amount I ingest.

Does anyone have thoughts about the eod approach? I'm I better off stopping completely or taking a daily tablet rather than eod or should I be fine taking it eod?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    Hi,

I am the classic star propecia patient. I have been on for 2.5 years with fantastic results. About 4 weeks I had a real scare regarding possible long term sides of propecia. I decided to go see my doctor and he suggested a 'medication holiday' where I get off the medication for a few weeks and then decide how I want to proceed in a more calm mental state.

I've been off propecia for about 4 weeks. I am noticing some shedding (about 10 - 15 hairs). I did re-start propecia today.

My intent is to take one every other day for the next few months. I just want to limit the amount I ingest.

Does anyone have thoughts about the eod approach? I'm I better off stopping completely or taking a daily tablet rather than eod or should I be fine taking it eod?

Thx
    spencer does something similar. There hasn't been a study on the effectiveness of tapering doses of finasteride but logically we assume that as long as you've built up a supply of fin in your blood stream then topping up every other day should still be as effective at keeping your dht levels down.

Quote Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
    spencer does something similar. There hasn't been a study on the effectiveness of tapering doses of finasteride but logically we assume that as long as you've built up a supply of fin in your blood stream then topping up every other day should still be as effective at keeping your dht levels down.
    I don't take Propecia, but something called Chronostim Night/Day. I follow the instructions, but I do notice a shed when I stop using it normally. What all these hair products do is stablize the hair to follow its normal growth cycle, but it does not eliminate DHT. Once DHT has your hair, it will shed it regardless - TE has made it dead anyway. What you need is a DHT inhabitor. It will stop DHT from attaching to the hair and shedding it. Once that happens, your hair will grow indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicktheloss View Post
    I don't take Propecia, but something called Chronostim Night/Day. I follow the instructions, but I do notice a shed when I stop using it normally. What all these hair products do is stablize the hair to follow its normal growth cycle, but it does not eliminate DHT. Once DHT has your hair, it will shed it regardless - TE has made it dead anyway. What you need is a DHT inhabitor. It will stop DHT from attaching to the hair and shedding it. Once that happens, your hair will grow indefinitely.
    I'm not sure what point you're making here? You say you are not on finasteride right now, but then you also recognise that without inhibiting your dht you're likely not going to prevent a shed....so its a no brainer, get back on finasteride or risk losing ground.

If I were you I would only bother with FDA approved medication to treat your hairloss as anything else is highly unlikely to work. don't be a fool.

thx for the reply. It's basically a month that I stopped propecia and I can feel a change in my hair. Firstly, I am shedding which I rarely noticed while on the medication and secondly my hair already feels much more 'whispy' rather than the full & thick feeling I had while on the med. yesterday, was my first day re-starting and I want continue by taking it every other day even though I am tempted to take another one today because of the 'whispy' feeling.

question: does reducing dosage help to reduce potential of sides or if someone were to get sides on the medication they'd get it whether they were taking 7mg a week or 3/4 mg a week?

This might not be much of a help but i'll shout it anyway:

When i first took finesteride i started with 1mg every day, had to quit due to sides 3.5 months later...

Started finesteride 1mg one year after eod, had to quit due to sides about 5 months later...

I believe that taking it eod can reduce sides...Not enough for me unfortunatly...

My sides were mainly testicular pain and a little brain fog...

Both times i quit, i fully recovered from it...thankfully...Many are still struggling with pfs

thx Troy. I was on for 2.5 years with no real noticeable sides. When I did get off about a month ago I did realize two small sides. One was less morning erections and the second was a more 'liquidy' ejaculate. Outside of that I was perfect. Now, I am going to try EOD and see if those two sides diminish somewhat.

In the end, it is only hair loss. I love my current full set of hair but it may just not be in the cards long term for me.

thanks to everyone for the support here.

Good luck then montreal...

Me and others hate propecia, but the truth is that i would definitely continue with it if did not notice sides or at least if i could bear them...

Let's hope that in the near future will emerge treatments with better safety/efectiveness profile...

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    thx Troy. I was on for 2.5 years with no real noticeable sides. When I did get off about a month ago I did realize two small sides. One was less morning erections and the second was a more 'liquidy' ejaculate. Outside of that I was perfect. Now, I am going to try EOD and see if those two sides diminish somewhat.

In the end, it is only hair loss. I love my current full set of hair but it may just not be in the cards long term for me.

thanks to everyone for the support here.
    Ok. So you're saying getting off Fin gave you sides ??? I'm scratching my head here. So then not being on Fin gave you side and Fin fixed those sides ??? Is that what you're saying?

I was assuming that he realised the sides right before he interrupted fin use, and that it was the reason for him to stop the treatment...