+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default So what do you suggest?

After reading your experience I'm unsure what you'd suggest. I am completely new to the thought of trying any of the big three. I'm a little nervous at the thought of sexual side effects so I really think I'd like to do a big 2 to start.

This is what I think I've learned so far just from reading around:

1) The foam is more user friendly than basic menoxidil.
    2) Generics are every bit as good as name brands like Rogaine.
    3) 5% is the highest FDA approved legal dosage and there's no real proof that 15% is all that great anyway.
    4) Using the shampoo helps in some way, but I still don't know how or why, but apparently you only need to use it once or twice a week.
    5) A limited number of people have crappy side effects, especially the sexual ones, from the active fen-something ingredient in propecia (even in generics).
    6) Very few experience lasting sexual side effects so just trying it doesn't always hurt because 80% of people who use it don't have them.
    7) In a Consumer Reports Health study of more than 8,000 men Propecia's Fen ingredient was the most effective in that 27% of men saw hair regrowth.
    8) Some people spend a ton of money on all this stuff and see little results as as result of ...I dunno...genetics or individual differences in body chemistry???

Please anyone feel free to alter the above list or pat me on the back for getting some/most/all of it right.

So I think I'm sold on trying generic Rogaine and the shampoo. On Amazon Kirkland seems to be pretty cheap and also comes in a foam. Can you get away with just the foam or do you need the liquid stuff too? I saw someone recommend a good generic shampoo but can't remember the name. Feel free to reply with recomendations for your favorite generic shampoo...even menoxidil, even propecia.

I'm still up in the air on the Fen...stuff. It seems risky. I think I can get away with trying the Menoxidil and see what results I get. Then after a year or so throw in the Fen if I think I can get better results and see how it messes with my body.

Any thoughts???

Tommy, I pre-wrote this but it may apply to you:

My advice… to all those starting out with not too much balding… I wish I had have done this:
    1/2 pill of FIN for 1 year see how this goes for you. If hairloss is still apparent then go with the MINOX apps.

I feel the initial hair clinic really gave me the wrong treatment for my age and hair (I feel that 1.25mg FIN and 2x 7% MINOX per day immediately was excessive). Commencing the big 3 should only be when you are thinning quite noticeably. Building up the FIN slowly should save you with plenty of arsenal to tackle more aggressive MPB later.

Whilst I understand that a small minority get sides, please don't worry too much about the side effects - if you worry then you will suffer - getting paranoid thinking that the meds are doing something which they are not (this happened to me consequently stopping the program).

My doc (a great one) said "don't believe everything you read on forums" - understand that there are wayyy to many scare mongers out there. Although I really do sympathise with people that have had sides. I myself feel that my forehead is more wrinked cause of minox (but I do get alot of sun).

I have received mainly High Distinctions and Distinctions during a post-grad Masters Degree (brain fog?) and conceived a beautiful child the first time we tried (never had a problem with ED over the 10 years, my libido may have dropped off a little, but I'm now nearly 36, not 25 anymore).

I must say - I live a clean lifestyle these days as well - heaps of exercise - I enjoy 1-3 wines most nights over dinner (salads, fish, red meat once a week) but I don't get too smashed.
    Last edited by Lazoid; 09-11-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

You should probably do foam in the morning and liquid at night. Foam only will have to depend on your hair loss...

Then, a number of years later they came out with men’s foam which has no propylene glycol in it. The problem with the foam is that, even though it is aesthetically a little bit nicer, it doesn’t really allow the medicine to penetrate quite as well into the scalp. Also, the foam is very hard to get on the scalp, especially if you have a lot of hair. It seems like the foam gets caught up in the hair, where with the liquid, you can separate the hair and get the liquid directly on the scalp.
    http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair...oam-or-liquid/

THANKS Night.

I understand about the propylene glycol problems people have... but its unusual that I havent had the itch before (with reg minox) and all of a sudden i have this reaction (which could be either Fin, Minox or further hair loss)

I have heard that implementing the foam can cause another shed tho? and I feel I maybe nearing the end of this current MASSIVE shed I am experiencing now... I cant afford to have another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdyne View Post
    yeah, tell me about it. only been back on 2 weeks. i reckon my hair looks worse than 2 weeks ago. my experience is that you do need to go backwards a little to go forwards. i am avoiding people like the plague at the moment. ugh. i went to the gym last night and left early. saw myself in the mirror and lost all motivation to lift

I know how that feels. I feel 1000 times worse. You lose motivation to lift. I lose motivation to stand on my feet let alone lift weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazoid View Post
    Tommy, I pre-wrote this but it may apply to you:

My advice… to all those starting out with not too much balding:
    Let me see if I can get a picture on here...tell me if I have, "Too much balding" Also this pic is about 2 years old and my receding hairline is going back quick. When I see myself in video from the top of my head I see alot of thinning and a noticeable bald spot forming.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its hard to tell with a photo and lighting. But if you don't have a smooth bald spot, then its all good for what I have seen.

Mostly just a quickly receding hair line and thinning hair on the top, I guess it's the crown, of my head.

So what do you suggest I do?

Do I just try a small dose of the fin and see how I do on it? And do I throw in the Minoxidil and shampoo?

This is a very useful thread. On Lazoid's point, I would just add one thing. Anyone can develop an allergy to PG at any time - even after years of previous use without inflamation. Allergies to minox are extremely rare, so I would suggest trying minox without PG - the foam does not have PG. I would also go easy on complicating things with different shampoos in case that is aggravating things. Use mild ones - or - cautiously - Nizoral 1% not more than twice a week.

Hey mate, really hard to tell with that picture.