+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingaboutit View Post
    Hi Guys,

Since a lot of you know more than me about hair loss, I am not going to insult your intelligence and I assume you've read up on the side effect of Finasteride: http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/pros...GFP19QC3CDB54V

I would love to hear your thoughts and if any of you feel there has been any side effects for you?
    There are heaps of threads about side effects of FIN and Minox etc.

All 'drugs' have side effects. Take the woman that died from drinking too much Soft Drink. Check my thread here: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9701

@UK_ you talk a lot of sense. Thanks for the wise words. The scary thing is if I have a full head of hear, I will probably look in my early 20's as I don't look that old. The hair loss makes me look my age.

To everyone what do you think... this is the way I am viewing my hair transplant, tell me honestly if I am being stupid.

For the last 7-9 years, I have shaving my hair off every day religiously. My confidence and so on has not really been effected (that much) in the last 7 years. I wear my head shaved every day come rain or shine. I have to be honest, I was severely effected (extremely) when me hair started fall out when I was 17+ (very young). I had not thought about any hair treatment (for the last 10 odd years) or procedure until about a month ago when I was supposed to go on holiday abroad. I felt it would be nice to have choice, and I am not really that old, so have a lot of years ahead of me if I live a full life. I would most likely shave my head like I do now (I think) even if I have hair/ after a transplant, as I look OK shaved. I may even grow it. I would like the choice.

The way I view it is as follows, if the hair transplant is a success, that's great. I am going to be very happy to have the choice. Worst case scenario, if the hair transplant is not a success, then I go back to shaving my head every day. As long as there are no scarring (FUE) I am going to be OK with that. In terms of financial loss, I can afford it. Without sounding like an arrogant sod, I am self employed, mortgage free on one property, and I am not loaning money to do this. Losing £XXX for chance to have hair, is worth it for me.

So...please tell me what you think. I can take constructive criticism.

I dont have any experience with HT so Im not sure man.

BUT... wouldnt you try the meds for a year anyway to see if you may get regrowth? Then you could opt for the HT.

Another thing that you may want to seriously consider is the fact that you and everyone around you is used to your shaved head. You have obviously gotten real comfortable over 10 years.

Then why not wait for another 2-5 years to see if these new treatments come to fruition? I know alot of ppl here are banking on them so if you are used to your baldness after 10 years whats another 2-5 gonna do? Plus you could spend 2 of these years trying to regrow! You wont lose anything as its quite cheap (under $1k per year).

@ Lazoid, I know you talk a lot of sense. I believe the main reason I am thinking about HT at the moment is I am in cross roads with many things in my life. You may want to call it a mid life crisis but I wouldn't. The reason being is I making some positive changes to my life, like taking time spend with my family child etc. Enjoying life more, rather than continuous work (which I tend to do), and many other small positive things.

I feel I if I don't do it now, then I will probably persuade myself against doing it in the future. I have always known that HT procedures were around, but I always told myself that it's not for me. Now I am more positive about it then dismissive. Don't get me wrong, I have always thought that it works on most people. It's just I felt a bit "fake" doing it, if that makes any sense. Now I kind of feel differently.

Lastly, work wise, things are quite at the moment, and will be so for the next 3-6 months. After that I see things getting really hectic for a couple of years as I am launching a new project/business. So from my point of view it's a good time to do it, as I may not get the chance in the next couple of years. If I had thought of this a few years ago, I would have 100% done what you have suggested, use meds and let it grow a bit then the surgeons would have had more hair to work with. I am 5A on the scale, so if the meds grow hair on me, it will be a small miracle. Anyway, thank you for your feedback.

No worries.

If you are going to go down the HT route, speak to some ppl on these forums first. There are some really educated ppl on here and you want to make sure that you get a SUPER good surgeon. There are some ppl with some nasty a*s scars - something which you dont want. Just head over to the HT forums...

Good luck with your new business venture.

You're at a good age to be considering a procedure, but if you think you might lose interest in the idea then you have to ask yourself if you really want one.

With your balding pattern you would need a lot of grafts. Definitely 4000+ and even then you probably wouldn't have crown coverage. It depends on how large the total area is and how wide open the crown is. In some men who fit roughly into the NW5A category, crown loss can be relatively minimal.

Would you be alright with just restoring your hairline, front and midscalp areas back to, but not including, the crown? It's possible you have the donor supply to complete the crown too, perhaps in a second procedure.

A lot of unknowns here without seeing photos at least, but I base this on your description of your hair loss and the options other men encounter.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

@mattj, I am fine not to have the crown done. I can accept that. However, most of the clinics I have seen said what you have said that I will need two procedures to cover all (including crown). I'll see how I feel after the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Be careful. Spex is a puppet for the hairloss industry who sold himself out years ago.
    Very strong claim this pal and i understand this may be your opinion and i would like you to back this up and the reason i say this is because i have been on the forums for years and all i have seen from spex is great advice and ethical advice, something which is hard to find in this industry.

Anyone in the UK who i talk to about hairloss i direct to spex because he has given me great advice in the past without trying to sell a procedure to me once and believe me i aim to have a procedure done. I have probably emailed him a few times within the last 5 years and he has always given me good advice and advice i have agreed with, something i back up myself with research i have done for the past 5 years!

I found it hard to discredit someone who is a great link for hair loss sufferers.

I dunno. Spex has been pretty helpful and has never asked us for anything in return.

No email address, phone number, interest in his products. Nothing.

He just answers our questions. Seems pretty straight up to me.

One word.....Paranoia.

Wish i was spex then i wouldnt have to have a HT

Or maybe this is just a wind up.