+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default realistically, when can they make a safe alternative for finasteride?

something that stops hairloss without reducing androgens in the body?

is such a thing even possible? since MPB is a genetic reaction to androgens?

that can only be solved by removing androgens or removing the genetic reaction......

soooo....

this doesnt look promising.....

I'm rooting for aderans.

They said in 2010 that they would be ready in 2014, not that there is any guarranty that the product will hit the marked at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jfbkb View Post

that can only be solved by removing androgens or removing the genetic reaction......

soooo....

Well no drug or foregin substance in or on your body is completely safe, however they could have varying effect. From negligible to strong or even fatal.

However upcoming treatments should offer safer alternatives and hopefully more effective ones as well. By the end of the next year we should finally find out if any of those treatments are at least moderately effective. Fingers crossed.

soooo....

I believe that this is possible but the problem is that no one is trying to produce any safer alternative to finasteride. I strongly believe that if a company can produce finasteride in a pill form, they sure as hell can produce it in a topical form. The problem is that not nearly enough people or companies are working on any kind of more effective treatment. Sure, there are a handful, but there clearly aren't enough. I always say that we need many more option to treat this disease that affects all of our lives so greatly. We need much more progress in hair loss treatments and not just the same old routine of minoxidil, finasteride, and hair transplants (which I'm honestly so sick and tired of hearing about).

Both male and female hereditary hair loss are triggered by a specific androgen. The only way to possibly avoid possible side effects is to figure out how to change a persons genetic programming.

soooo....

It is actually better than it looks - and better than nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I'm rooting for aderans.
    I'm rooting for all of them. I don't care who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I believe that this is possible but the problem is that no one is trying to produce any safer alternative to finasteride.
    Quite a few are trying, more so now than ever, but so few are succeeding.

We need much more progress in hair loss treatments and not just the same old routine of minoxidil, finasteride, and hair transplants (which I'm honestly so sick and tired of hearing about).
    Everyone agrees we need better treatments. But Finasteride and Minoxidil are what we have now and they are better than what we had not so long ago, which was nothing.

I think the current model for hairloss is overly simplistic. DHT gets a bad rap when everything else it does in the body is beneficial in the young.

It seems likely that the pathway may well be something like the below:

T ---5 alpha reductase type 2---> DHT --->Androgen Receptor Activation---> PGD2 ^ & PGF2 v ---> GPR44 Activation --->Release of MPB effector proteins---> MPB.

We can solve this problem further down the pathway in my opinion. That's what I think is happening but I'm not sure. Would make a lot of sense if we could just intervene at the G-Protein Coupled Receptor 44 and block the receptor or destroy it or both.

A topical androgen receptor blocker or even something that destroys the androgen receptor could add as a second dam point.

Tracy, I'm not sure how many companies are trying to make a topical anti-androgen but I think there are very, very few (maybe 2). I don't think that they're unsuccessful with it; I just think they're bogged down in clinical trials. What doctors could do is to create a topical version of finasteride. I know several doctors who make their own minoxidil concoctions so I do not see why a topical version of finasteride could not be produced. Not only would it be welcomed for those suffering from side effects of oral finasteride, but it could be taken in addition to oral finasteride and maybe even be effective in regrowing some hair.
    You're right that finasteride is better than what we used to have maybe 20 years ago. I'm not including minoxidil here because I really have not seen anyone have any significant hair regrowth using it. It's just a very weak vasodilator; why a stronger vasodilator cannot be created is just beyond me. But I always think about it this way: hair loss so drastically and negatively affects the lives of so many people, yet we have so very few and such ineffective options to treat it. I remember, Tracy, how you've said how for about a decade, you lived a life of extreme depression and reclusion because of hair loss. I really felt for you when I heard that, and I believe that many other hair loss sufferers suffer similar fates. Yet we have no meaningful hair regrowth options out there, despite the utter devastation that hair loss causes for so many people. In today's day and age, it shouldn't have to be this way, and it really frustrates me that so very few people/companies in the entire world are looking for effective ways to regrow hair.
    Follicular Death Row, you're totally right about today's model for hair loss being overly simplistic. The main problem, I believe, is that since hair loss is studied by so very few people that many questions remain unanswered. Like why hair on the sides and lower back of the head are resistant to the effects of DHT, yet hair on top and in the front are drastically affected by DHT. I too believe that DHT is only part of the puzzle when it comes to hair loss. And that's also why there hasn't been much progress at all in terms of hair regrowth. Minoxidil and finasteride were discovered completely by accident to have effects on hair loss. Yet there isn't one treatment or drug out there that was specifically created to treat hair loss. The fact that so little money and is spent (and so few efforts are made) on treating a disease that drastically alters life for so many people is really unconscionable to me.
    Sorry about writing so much here! I'm just a very fast typist and hair loss is a subject that I'm really passionate about.

Tracy, I'm not sure how many companies are trying to make a topical anti-androgen but I think there are very, very few (maybe 2). I don't think that they're unsuccessful with it; I just think they're bogged down in clinical trials. What doctors could do is to create a topical version of finasteride. I know several doctors who make their own minoxidil concoctions so I do not see why a topical version of finasteride could not be produced. Not only would it be welcomed for those suffering from side effects of oral finasteride, but it could be taken in addition to oral finasteride and maybe even be effective in regrowing some hair.
    You're right that finasteride is better than what we used to have maybe 20 years ago. I'm not including minoxidil here because I really have not seen anyone have any significant hair regrowth using it. It's just a very weak vasodilator; why a stronger vasodilator cannot be created is just beyond me. But I always think about it this way: hair loss so drastically and negatively affects the lives of so many people, yet we have so very few and such ineffective options to treat it. I remember, Tracy, how you've said how for about a decade, you lived a life of extreme depression and reclusion because of hair loss. I really felt for you when I heard that, and I believe that many other hair loss sufferers suffer similar fates. Yet we have no meaningful hair regrowth options out there, despite the utter devastation that hair loss causes for so many people. In today's day and age, it shouldn't have to be this way, and it really frustrates me that so very few people/companies in the entire world are looking for effective ways to regrow hair.
    Follicular Death Row, you're totally right about today's model for hair loss being overly simplistic. The main problem, I believe, is that since hair loss is studied by so very few people that many questions remain unanswered. Like why hair on the sides and lower back of the head are resistant to the effects of DHT, yet hair on top and in the front are drastically affected by DHT. I too believe that DHT is only part of the puzzle when it comes to hair loss. And that's also why there hasn't been much progress at all in terms of hair regrowth. Minoxidil and finasteride were discovered completely by accident to have effects on hair loss. Yet there isn't one treatment or drug out there that was specifically created to treat hair loss. The fact that so little money and is spent (and so few efforts are made) on treating a disease that drastically alters life for so many people is really unconscionable to me.
    Sorry about writing so much here! I'm just a very fast typist and hair loss is a subject that I'm really passionate about.
    Not much point in investing in topical solutions when a full out end to this effing bullshit condition can be stopped with a treatment using stem cells. Dr. Roland Lauster in Germany has pretty much got it working but has been very quiet about his findings. We know we got a cure.. we just don't know when its going to be available.

Its either go big or go home at this point. It'd be a very scary situation to release a topical solution when and if Aderans and Histogen release a product that could potentially completely void all other crap thats on the market or would be on the market. I pray to god this damn condition gets destroyed before I get too old to care about it.

I'm feeling a lot of rage right now over this condition, maybe it has something do with the fact that I'm listening to this right now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fxVRTGjUJw

Tracy, I'm not sure how many companies are trying to make a topical anti-androgen but I think there are very, very few (maybe 2). I just think they're bogged down in clinical trials.
    It makes more sense that topical anti-androgens are probably not the answer that so many think they are. Therefore they are not worth investing in.

The only topical anti-androgen I know that is actively being developed for hair loss is CB-03-01, and it's the front runner IMO. Even that will probably not be out before 2016, maybe later.

ASC-J9 is a possibility but the company hasn't released an update in ages and anecdotal evidence around the hair loss forums is that it might have systemic sides.

CB appears not to have systemic sides since it is metabolised by the body almost as soon as it's absorbed.