+ Reply to Thread

Default Much advice needed

I have been on propecia and rogaine for 2 years now with little results and no side effects.i have maintained in the crown but no regrowth.My question is would it be worth a shot to up my dosage to 2mg of finasteride a day instead of 1mg?Any advice would be appreciated

Hey 2020,

Just wondering where you got the graph above from. What's the source?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike49 View Post
    I have been on propecia and rogaine for 2 years now with little results and no side effects.i have maintained in the crown but no regrowth.
    I know it does not feel like it but maintaining is a pretty significant result. Anyways, since you have no regrowth at all after two years of using Rogaine, you could slowly taper yourself off of Rogaine if you wanted to because it isn't doing you any good. If it were growing any hair back for you, you would know it by now. If you decide to go off of Rogaine, make sure you taper off of it slowly over a long period of time.

You need to talk to your doctor about increasing your dose of Finasteride. Personally, I don't think that would do you any more good than your current dose. Finasteride does not stimulate regrowth, it just arrests the loss and "allows" hair that can grow back to grow back. If no hair has grown back after two full years, even with Rogaine, those hair follicles are likely too damaged to be able to grow hair anymore.

I appreciate your input.the problem i have is i have no problem accepting the fact that my next transplant needs to be in the crown but i honestly cant say i have ever seen great results from a doctor as far as crown work goes.i am 3 months out from my second surgery to add density to the front.i admit my first transplant was with dr pistone which wasnt that bad but i should have saved a little more money and just went to dr.dorin from the beginning.i only have enough donor hair for maybe 1600-1800 grafts and i will not go the fue route cant afford it

I appreciate your input.the problem i have is i have no problem accepting the fact that my next transplant needs to be in the crown but i honestly cant say i have ever seen great results from a doctor as far as crown work goes.
    The crown (vertex) is a literal black hole for grafts. You need to think long and hard about committing valuable grafts to that area. Are you able to achieve acceptable results with a good quality concealer such as Dermmatch? It may be better for you to do that and wait for better treatments to come to fruition.

My problem is on the center left side of my head, near the center line. It is crescent moon shaped and starts just behind my hair line then goes all the way back to my crown. I had transplant surgery to fill that in as much as possible with 5,000+ grafts. Though I do have complete coverage in that area now, the density is not as good as I wished for. Though I can probably have another transplant procedure to add more density to that area, I am able to blend that area in with Dermmatch. With Dermmatch in that area you cannot tell it is not the same density as the rest of my hair. This obviously isn't a perfect solution but it is a working solution that I can live with until better treatments become available.

I cover it with toppik and it looks perfect even in the sun.i still have enough there to get away with it

I cover it with toppik...
    Try Dermmatch. It works a whole lot better, looks natural, lasts longer, you can swim with it and you can work out with it. It also does a much better job of protecting your scalp from sunburn.

I will try it thank you for your advice