+ Reply to Thread

Default Newby Interested in FUE

Hi Guys,

I’m a long-time guest but only joined recently. Apologies for the length of this post – hopefully it’s not too boring.

I really like the impartiality on this forum and the wide range of informed opinions and advice which is the reason why I joined. I can see the industry can be pretty unscrupulous but there is a lot of experience on here from what I have seen so I thought I’d try chime in.

Firstly a little about me – I’m 31 British (Indian-origin) guy. I’ve had thin hair since around 15. I went through a period of too much use of a shampoo called Head & Shoulders when I was that age. It made my hair start to fall out kind of all over, but it is a bit thicker at the back. I did consult a dermatologist at the time but she pretty much said there’s nothing I could do. Apparently it has been quite a common complaint with that shampoo. So my hair has gradually got thinner over the years. I started using finasteride about 4 yrs now, that’s probably helped, I also use Nizoral shampoo. I tried Regaine a few years ago also but it felt awful so I stopped soon after starting. My father was bald but my 3 brothers aged late 20’s to mid 30’s all have very good heads of hair. Uncles, granddads etc all have good hair as well – only my dad was bald.

I’ve been thinking about some sort of hair transplant for a few years now but wanted to wait to see how my hair loss developed and to whether any kind of technological advancement would be made – heard about lab grown hair stem cells a while back but I’m pretty sure that’s still a long way off.
    Anyway I’m considering an FUE or Neograft procedure – like others I’d like to have the option of keeping my hair short with minimal visible scarring. I haven’t had a professional consultation yet – I wanted to get some advice on here first.

From what I gather FUE and Neograft do not have many proven doctors in the UK but I’m willing to travel (Belgium or US). Obviously I want to get a good deal but I’m willing to pay for quality – the most important thing for me is getting a high standard of work done.

So I’ve included some pics of my hair to give you guys a bit more background info. I guess the main questions I have are;

1. What kind of level of baldness do I have?
    2. Am I a good candidate for FUE or Neograft?
    3. Does Neograft have any good reputable practitioners? I haven’t come across any.

Any other advice you guys have is very welcome.

Thanks!
    Addy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Top.jpg

Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	16648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Back 1.jpg

Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	16649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Back 2.jpg

Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	16650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Front.jpg

Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	16651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Left 1.jpg

Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	16652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Left 2.jpg

Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	16653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Right 1.jpg

Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	16654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head - Right 2.jpg

Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	16655  

I have got the right forum haven't I?

This isn't the 'Say No to Plastic Surgery' forum is it, and I haven't just offended all the users have I?

It looks like you're donor is very thin.

I say the only person that could possibly may help you is Dr. Gho. He's procedure is scarfree. That's pretty conclusive.

The controversial claims is the donor regrowth. Dr Gho claims minimum 80% regrowth in the donor area. The quality of the transplanted hairs (in the recipent area) seem to be a bit "thinner" compared to the traditional methods like conventional FUE and FUT.

However, I think the procedure should be considered by anyone who desires a buzzcut with no scarring. Look at Wesley Sneijder, he had the HST (Dr Gho's version of FUE).

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I don't see how he could be happy with any other conventional methods.

Well it looks like you're a Norwood 6 going on 7, and I'm afraid you waited too long. I think you should go on propecia and wait for one of the new treatments coming up within a few years.

Thanks for the feedback guys, despite the disappointing news.

Interesting thing about Dr Gho. I've done some research on him. I guess like you say there needs to be some conclusive independent tests done about whether the donor area re-growth occurs and to what level.

thanks

I would suggest doing a lot of research on FUE before diving in.

I have heard that with darker skin, the little scar dots are more visible.

I hate to say it but your donor hair is so thin that it simply wouldn't supply enough hair to make a difference if transplanted to the front/top. You need so many grafts that you'd essentially end up bald in the donor region. That's the brutal truth.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Your donor hair looks rather thin. How many graphs do you plan to get?

Not sure how many grafts Martin. I would like to have better coverage but doesn't need to be a full thick head of hair. Looking at long term coverage, and would consider using beard and body hair and keeping a buzzcut permanently.