+ Reply to Thread

Default It's been 2 weeks since my HT..

Hi, I'm a 52 year old male who crossfits. For those that are unfamiliar, I lift weights, perform gymnastics, run, row, flip tires, climb, etc.. You get the picture.. very active and athletic. Several months ago, I had gone through adrenal fatigue due to overtraining. Long story short, I started taking DHEA, a testosterone booster. Low and behold, my hair started to fall out, A LOT! Aside from stopping DHEA, I went to see Dr. Diep for a consultation on HT. I had 2760 grafts done 2 weeks ago. I'm healing really well from my procedure. Stitches (sutures) were removed 9 days later as I requested. I know it's earlier than most of what's been suggested on this forum, but I know my body, and I recover fast from inflammation and/or injury. I even competed this past weekend at a Crossfit competition, which involves lifting, running, jumping on plyo boxes, Olympic weightlifting, the works.. disregarding the typical suggestions of not going to the gym for at least a month on this forum. Long story short, it felt great to get back at my routine. The quickest way to a speedy recovery for me is to have your blood circulate and recirculate throughout your body with an elevating heart rate, as oppose to just doing nothing. It's been 2 weeks since my procedure, been taking propecia, on top of my usual fish oil pills, vit D, B complex, plus my new vitamin supplement-- Toco-Sorb.

I decided to post this because in 2 weeks, I've noticed hair growth on my beard and on my hands. Not just tiny thin hairs, but thicker tiny hairs. Weird. I'm wondering if it's because of the Toco-sorb...

Meanwhile, I look at my forehead and am glad that the scabbing is practically all gone. I've had my first haircut since, but will revisit my hair guy as soon as the new graphs are close to an inch in length.. Will keep you posted..

Hope you didn't stretch the scar on the back of your head

How would it stretch? LOL

Last my hair salon guy checked a few days ago, it's pretty clean.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Hope you didn't stretch the scar on the back of your head

Thanks for the advice, but I'm curious as to why you think I would need at least a month to recover when I'm doing just fine back at my routine of crossfitting 3-4 x a week? My body is accustomed to my routine. I'm curious.. Why? Have there been incidents to stretching of the skull or excess bleeding recorded because of exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Disregard my above post, curiosity got the better of me.

Mate, you're a fool. Don't do sport after an operation like that. That is THE WORST thing possible. Even something minor like a HT is going to write you off from sports for what would be my guess one month minimum. Light activity can usually resume early, but heavy lifting (by crossfit standards) is the last thing that can be taken back up.

And was this test you were taking legal?

God damn, if I had a penny for every Crossfitter...

And what test are you referring to?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I think after 2 weeks you should be safe. However, you should avoid for an additional few months excessive flexion of the neck (chin to chest) to avoid stretching of the scar. Even though the surface is healed there is still internal healing occuring for several months after the procedure.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Ahh yes. DHEA which can be purchased at the local GNC store.. I'm never touching that stuff again.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Word.

Test = testosterone

Correct. No worries, no flexion here. I could actually feel if I'm at that point. It's a matter of performing movements correctly and flexion of the neck isn't one of them. I have seen people do situps with chin to chest, which is just dumb IMO, but I see it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    I think after 2 weeks you should be safe. However, you should avoid for an additional few months excessive flexion of the neck (chin to chest) to avoid stretching of the scar. Even though the surface is healed there is still internal healing occuring for several months after the procedure.