+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Not A 'Pencil Thin Scar'

I'm not sure if this thread should be put in under the Veterans section, or left here. Moderators: please move if necessary.

I have undergone two strip procedures from a clinic to repair my frontal zone. While the results have shown some improvement, I will still have to go in for a third procedure to achieve the density that i wish to have. As a result of the two procedures, I have been left with scar that you see in the pic below. It is not quite 'pencil thin' as most clinics tend to guarantee, as was the case with mine. I'm left with a horrible scar which I can only cover up with a #3 guard clipper.

I recall the response from my clinic when i bought up the width of the scar was something along the lines of, "Who cares about the back, its the front that should look good". At this point, I am moving forward and looking into have the scar repaired. In both surgeries, the trichophytic closure method was used with staples.

My question at this point is, would stitches/sutures produce a better scar in my case, or is it simply a case of patient's physiology, where my scar will end up the same way? Also, based on the picture, would is this scar 2+ cm wide? Should I look into other repair methods, FUE etc? A scar such as this is simply not acceptable by any standard in this day and age. Any thoughts/comments.suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	donor.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	16588  

That's not a great scar, but I have seen much worse. I'm surprised that your clinic actually guaranteed a pencil thin scar, since that's a tough thing to guarantee.

I know that Hasson and Wong use staples while a lot of the other top clinics use stitches, so I really have no idea if one is better than the other. Since you're having a third surgery, why don't you wait to see how the final scar looks? They should be able to cut that one out and hopefully the next scar will be thinner.

How does the transplant look otherwise?

Delphi, the scar is about 1.5 years old now, so I don't imagine its going to change much at this point. Yes, as mentioned, I am simply moving forward and looking at other clinics that could produce a refined/improved scar. The results of the surgery have been good, a big improvement from where I started off, but I am looking to have some additional grafts added, as the density is quite uneven in the recipient zone from the first two surgeries. I will upload pics of the results. My only fear at this point is if I were to get cut open again, and have the same end result. Since I am looking into an additional procedure, I am looking into possibly FUE'ing the scar..

Quote Originally Posted by teg_101 View Post
    Delphi, the scar is about 1.5 years old now, so I don't imagine its going to change much at this point. Yes, as mentioned, I am simply moving forward and looking at other clinics that could produce a refined/improved scar. The results of the surgery have been good, a big improvement from where I started off, but I am looking to have some additional grafts added, as the density is quite uneven in the recipient zone from the first two surgeries. I will upload pics of the results. My only fear at this point is if I were to get cut open again, and have the same end result. Since I am looking into an additional procedure, I am looking into possibly FUE'ing the scar..
    I can understand where you're coming from. FUE might be the way to go from this point forward. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Have you thought about Dr. Cole?

I have looked into Dr Cole, amongst a few others clinics. I'm thinking of giving the FUT another try and seeing how the scar turns out in the hands of another surgeon that uses stitches rather than staples. If that route results in the same situation that I'm in, I might look into FUE or SMP, while that is in its early stages, seems to be working out well for some. How successful is Dr Rahal in scar revision? Perhaps some other patients of his could chime in on the topic? Thanks

"Who cares about the back, its the front that should look good"

This attitude sucks, this is a terrible and very unethical thing to say!

I think if you ask for advice depending on the forum you are going to be directed towards certain clinics. This is not always in your best interest so I would suggest expanding your research to include other forums while also speaking with patients.

Quote Originally Posted by teg_101 View Post
    I have looked into Dr Cole, amongst a few others clinics. I'm thinking of giving the FUT another try and seeing how the scar turns out in the hands of another surgeon that uses stitches rather than staples. If that route results in the same situation that I'm in, I might look into FUE or SMP, while that is in its early stages, seems to be working out well for some. How successful is Dr Rahal in scar revision? Perhaps some other patients of his could chime in on the topic? Thanks
    Seems reasonable since you already had 2 FUTs. Rahal is known to be one of the best, but it's hard to say how anyone will heal. You know, I was the biggest SMP sceptic and thought it was absolutely ridiculous to even consider it, but after seeing Spex's temporary SMP result, I think I'm changing my tune.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah the SMP route is definitely an option. I've inquired about having this procedure done through HIS hair clinic, based out of London. I don't think they've had any cases where their patients had their donor scars filled, while keeping their hair long, and plus their treatment is permanent from what they say. If I could do it all over again, I would have under gone the FUE method for the entire restoration, although FUT has a higher success rate, so far.

I would consult with Dr Lindsey , he has done lots of scar revisions with documented results , see if your suitable for a revision or not , in my opinion revision is high risk when you have already stretched , option 2 is fue into the scar , keep us informed with what route you take

all the best
    ejj