+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Dr Lindsey and Dr Konior are excellent with scarring.

Both are former plastic surgeons.

Definitely consider Hasson&Wong also if you want the scar revised.

Alternatively,you could have fue into the scar,smp or a combination of the three.

FUE into scar as an option is usually best for a patient who isn't also looking for improvement in the balding area. The doctor can extract just what he or she needs to improve the scar. FUE-into-scar can be very successful, but in scar tissue the blood supply can be compromised, reducing the chance that the grafts placed into it will grow.

If you need to increase the density in your frontal zone then an FUT procedure including scar revision might be the best choice. They offer predictable results, are more cost-effective for the patient and Dr Rahal performs them routinely.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

with the greatest respect matt , i would have to disagree with you , a further revision is high risk , more so when the patient has already stretched on a second strip , the reason i believe we dont see more of these poor revisions on the forums is due to the Drs offering the revision ` free of charge ` and then silencing the patient with legal disclaimers and ` pay offs` again just my opinion

The second point i would address is i have had excellent growth with fue into my huge scars from my former drs , so much so im back in the chair for the third time week on wednesday , low density grafting to start with and establish blood supply , small procedures , small manual punch , excellent Dr with excellent surgical plan has been hugely beneficial to me

regards

ejj

Hi ejj,

I'm glad you're having success with disguising your scar with FUE. I'm not saying that this approach can't work and I'm not saying that there aren't possible drawbacks to scar revisions. Both are options Dr Rahal makes available. I'm just saying that in my opinion, based on what I've observed, scar revisions are probably a better choice in most situations - especially if the patient requires more grafts in the balding area. In some cases a patient will be at a high risk of the new scar stretching and in some cases the scar just can't be extracted, for whatever reason (such as if it's positioned too high or too low).

You've actually highlighted a drawback of FUE-into-scar in that you're apparently in need of a third procedure to complete the work. It's not uncommon for doctor's to prefer this step-by-step approach to ensure that the grafts are taking. The length of time and in many cases the travel involved for return visits won't be convenient for many patients.

Ultimately the best choice will depend on the individual circumstances of the patient, which is always a combination of what they want and what is best or possible in their case.

Hi Matt

I think ive highlighted the need of the importance of a good surgical plan for the repair of strip scars ,a plan that the patient needs to fully understand,

too many patients are led to believe that they can just have the scar revised and all will be ok , which is often not the case , for successful fue the scar has to be grafted into with ` low density ` to establish blood supply , the growth can be assessed and density increased with a further procedure , such was the extent of my scarring im looking at six repair procedures , obviously others may not need this amount of repair ,however half way through i have huge improvement , i would rather go with a slow , safe , successful ,approach than risk further likely damage

hope this helps

ejj

Thanks for the input guys. I will let you know what route I end up going with. Since I do require a 'fill in' for my recipient zone, and want to address the scar at the same time, perhaps giving another try with the FUT method might be the better option?? One drawback I've found other than the obvious is the 'pulling back' of the scalp that occurs with the FUT method. For someone that naturally has a larger forehead/ higher hairline, this is something that I will also need to take into account. I know this is a heavily debated topic, one which I believe does result in some pullback, despite what clinics say.

Ive had four strips from the same place with zero pullback, not even a fractionif a milimetre. That being said, I hate strip and would never recommend it, but since you have already had it, a revision isnt off the cards, depends on position and your laxity. I personally have never seen a big improvement from revision.

Quote Originally Posted by teg_101 View Post
    Delphi, the scar is about 1.5 years old now, so I don't imagine its going to change much at this point. Yes, as mentioned, I am simply moving forward and looking at other clinics that could produce a refined/improved scar. The results of the surgery have been good, a big improvement from where I started off, but I am looking to have some additional grafts added, as the density is quite uneven in the recipient zone from the first two surgeries. I will upload pics of the results. My only fear at this point is if I were to get cut open again, and have the same end result. Since I am looking into an additional procedure, I am looking into possibly FUE'ing the scar..
    go see Dr. Gho

Low risk and high yield trumps convenience. No patient should even have convenience on their list of criteria; it should never be a factor. This is cosmetic surgery were talking about here.

I also agree with the pull back comment. It results in a larger bald crown and/or a high neck hairline but strip clinics will tell you that doesn't happen. If fact I have read comments by clinics where they have berated their own patient for even posting such a comment about their own experience, like they were just imagining what they see in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by teg_101 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I will let you know what route I end up going with. Since I do require a 'fill in' for my recipient zone, and want to address the scar at the same time, perhaps giving another try with the FUT method might be the better option?? One drawback I've found other than the obvious is the 'pulling back' of the scalp that occurs with the FUT method. For someone that naturally has a larger forehead/ higher hairline, this is something that I will also need to take into account. I know this is a heavily debated topic, one which I believe does result in some pullback, despite what clinics say.
    Are you saying you've actually noticed 'pullback' yourself?

I think it must be rare as I've only read occasional reports on the forums over the years and nothing else. I certainly don't dismiss the idea and it's possibly something that only the patient would notice, being the most familiar with his or her own face.

The slight disagreement between me and other posters above might just increase the confusion for you over what you should do. Scar revision and FUE-into-scar are both good methods and if you consult with a number of doctors you should get a clearer idea of which is the best option for you. With scar revision you would need to perform scalp exercises to increase your laxity. This would increase the chances of a thinner scar and should help eliminate the 'pullback'.