Threaded View

Exclamation Strange Experience with Minoxidil

Been using Minoxidil 5% 2x a day all over my NW6 scalp for about 9 months since I got an ht. Liquid form for about 7 months then switched to foam. Never had any reactions except for maybe a little redness on scalp. Less than 2 weeks ago I broke out in a bad rash with raised skin that itched like crazy on the front and back of my neck and scalp became very red and irritated and burned including near temples and along forehead. One day I had a racing heart incident. Also developed a couple of little growths on my scalp. Didn't know what was going on. Started putting on cortisone cream just to stop the itch which worked a little. Saw my HT doctor who told me to stop the minox that I was probably having a reaction to it and to see a dermatologist just to make sure it was nothing else and to look at the little growths that developed. She said she's seen the scalp reaction before but couldn't explain the rashes on the front and back of my neck and the few growths on the scalp but assumed it was all part of a bad reaction to the minoxidil. She said even though I never had any reaction for all those months of using it you can get a reaction at any time and you have to stop using it immediately as opposed to stopping gradually. 9 days later, scalp is still red and flaking, forehead and temples still patchy red and flaking, front and back of neck seems to be getting a little better after using all kinds of creams including aloe, cortisone, and zinc oxide. What a freakin mess. like I had some sort of chemical burn. Have an appointment with a dermatologist but not till the first week in October. Hope I make it till then. Supposed to get another HT in November or October but have to clear all this up first. Any one else have any reactions to minoxidil like mine or am I just having bad luck? Assuming this is a bad reaction to minoxidil. Thanks.