+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Starting Propecia Soon But scared.

I got a prescription for propecia, and im thinking about start using it soon. My only biggest fear is that if i start, my hair will shed. As of right now, i have a full head of hair and i don't have any bold spots yet, but if i start using propecia, what are the chances that hair will shed for sure to a point where i would look bold?

when you took it, how much hair did you loose? i understand that it will grow back but im a college student and im really insecure so before starting i would like to know what im getting into.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine...I was 22 when I first started and turn 23 on june, I shed for the first couple of days or weeks not sure. I really didn't notice much hair shedding.

The shed is probably not major enough to notice like crazy.

I'm at 2 months right now and my shedding has actually slowed alot since before taking it. It's a good sign to me and my hair feels at least stronger than before.

You may notice the hair in the shower at work on desk etc, but if your hair is thick enough it won't be noticable to other people unless you have a Cat Shed Event lol

John,

Trust me, do not be scared to take Propecia. Please just get on it. I started taking it when I was 19, and have slowly began seeing the effects of it go away unfortunately. But all during college it kept my hair much better than without I am sure.

I am in great shape, get rock hard college kid erections, and feel no other side effects. Monitor these for yourself, but I really don't think many people experience them. You have to think about the bias from a lot of stuff you read on forums. Most people that have great results go on with their life and never look back. People that have problems get on these forums to learn more and talk about their bad experience.

My main point is to encourage you to start as young as possible though. I have seen my hair continue to receed some while on propecia which sucks...but it's got to help!

Quote Originally Posted by John16198 View Post
    I got a prescription for propecia, and im thinking about start using it soon. My only biggest fear is that if i start, my hair will shed. As of right now, i have a full head of hair and i don't have any bold spots yet, but if i start using propecia, what are the chances that hair will shed for sure to a point where i would look bold?

when you took it, how much hair did you loose? i understand that it will grow back but im a college student and im really insecure so before starting i would like to know what im getting into.

Thanks
    For Propecia to be effective you have to start early. And the earlier you start the higher the chance of keeping the hair you have right now.

Most people don't experience sides, and thats a fact. thatkidd has very good advice for you. The people that complain of sides are the ones most likely to be on hairloss forums. If you want you could consider starting with 0.5mg/day just to ease yourself into the medication.
    Shedding is considered a good thing, it means you are responding to the medication.

Best of luck

As of right now, i have a full head of hair and i don't have any bold spots yet
    Then why are you even considering using it?

Quote Originally Posted by mathmoose View Post
    Then why are you even considering using it?
    Most likely diffuse thinning. Some of us lose our hair in more of a female pattern

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Most likely diffuse thinning. Some of us lose our hair in more of a female pattern
    That's what I was going to say. I'm just happy I didn't get the bald spot on the crown of the head. That one feels like a total pain to hide.

Thanks
    I don't even know what this whole "shed" phenomenon is. I'm sure it's real, but as someone who started propecia at 20 (15 years ago), I apparently made it through the "shed" phase unfazed. Maybe I did shed and then recouped, only to never realize it because I was out getting laid and not focusing on my hairloss -- do the same!!