Threaded View

Default My MPB hypothesis.

I have been doing alot of reading lately about MPB since I read the study that implicated PGD-2 as the cause of it. One thing that stood out to me in that study was that there was an enlargement of sebaceous glands in balding areas. All of this reading got me wondering why in all of the cures and studies, no one has addressed why the side of our head never go bald.

To me it seems very simplistic.. what does the top of our head get that the rest of our head doesn't, A LOT OF SUNLIGHT. I found that an Indian doctor had implicated UV as the reason for MPB and wrote a book about it, unfortunately he wants like 300$ for the book, so I never got to read it. Upon more of my own research I came across this study: http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc...523-p00536.pdf which suggests that larger/more sebaceous glands may cause higher uptake of ALL testosterone, including DHT in balding scalps, than non-balding. It also proves that DHT is not really the culprit, ALL TYPES of testosterone are. Also, you can find studies that prove UV rays absolutely increase sebaceous glands.

My theory is this... Over years of our heads being exposed to the sun, many sebaceous glands continue to form. The more that form, the more the hair follicles are being blocked, and the more testosterone uptake there is. Since the sebaceous gland is pulling excessive testosterone into the follicle, the follicle will die or have a shortened anagen stage. Maybe the follicle even gets damaged so that it malfunctions by the process above.

Different thickness of hair, conditions, proximity to the sun, hair style, diet, etc would all effect the quickness which balding set in. Personally, I always had thin hair, I always kept it short, I had a bad diet, and my MPB set in when I was 17.

Has anyone tried medication that shrinks sebaceous glands, along with Minoxidil or something? I have read that Retin-A is proven to increase efficiency of Minoxidil.