+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Study on balding men and dating

So this is "supposedly" a survey on balding men being 5 times less likely to be attractive to women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...d-of-hair.html

Here is my question. Why the f*** is it ok to do a study like this? If someone were to do the same study on fat women, everyone would be after them for being insensitive. The survey would have been a disaster in terms of P.R and public image. But its ok to have this shit out there??

This pissed me off so much. It should be considered as insensitive as a survey on people with some non-life threatening disease being less attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    So this is "supposedly" a survey on balding men being 5 times less likely to be attractive to women.

Here is my question. Why the f*** is it ok to do a study like this? If someone were to do the same study on fat women, everyone would be after them for being insensitive. The survey would have been a disaster in terms of P.R and public image. But its ok to have this shit out there??

This pissed me off so much. It should be considered as insensitive as a survey on people with some non-life threatening disease being less attractive.

Well the “study” was conducted by a hair replacement company. This TBT caller did the same type of study himself. It’s an interesting call and a little depressing. Just saw this on Spencer Kobren's twitter feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbZ...w&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post

Are you really that surprised? I mean we don't need a study to tell us what we already know. If physical attraction wasn't an issue and bald men could equally attract beautiful women as men with full manes then I don't think balding would be an issue at all. The same goes for guys being physically attracted to women who are slim and physically fit. As insensitive as it may be, it's the truth and it's very superficial.

Quote Originally Posted by deep84 View Post
    Are you really that surprised? I mean we don't need a study to tell us what we already know. If physical attraction wasn't an issue and bald men could equally attract beautiful women as men with full manes then I don't think balding would be an issue at all. The same goes for guys being physically attracted to women who are slim and physically fit. As insensitive as it may be, it's the truth and it's very superficial.
    Most guys do look less attractive, but a bald person is definitely not 80% less likely to meet someone than a person with a full head. That number is off by a huge margin.

I have always maintained that there is truth to the fact that your looks take a huge hit. For me its more the self image that matters. But regardless I refuse to believe that everything else being constant a Bald guy would get 80% less sucess in meeting women. This is simply a huge exageration. I am not saying its not true.

But my main point is all weight loss programs advertise how good you would look after loosing the fat, but there are no commercials that directly imply fat people are less attractive. I haven't seen a single commerical where a fat women or guy get turned down, or someone advertises a study about how fat women are less likely to find a decent guy. And the worst part is weight can be lost, but hairloss has very limited options.

Does baldness make you less attractive. Yes I think it does, but these guys are screwing with our heads by making it sound a lot worse than it actually is.

Frankly I wouldn't want to be with someone that puts so much emphasis on the way I look that hairloss is a deal breaker. Specially since there is little I can do about it. But the self image is a kind of a big deal to me.

PayDay said that that so-called study was conducted by a hair replacement company so that's all that I need to know. I mean, hair replacement companies are in the business of trying to make people think that hair loss is as unattractive as possible so that people will run out and get wigs. They are in the business of trying to convince people that if they have more hair (even fake hair) that they will get pretty women and like lives like kings. I mean, has anyone seen those Hair Club commercials? They show a balding guy with a sad face and totally depressed. And then they show the same guy with a Hair Club wig and he's out in the pool with a huge smile on his face and a pretty girl running her fingers through his hair. When I noticed that that study was conducted by a hair replacement company, I knew immediately that this is probably not an accurate study and that the company probably only brought to that newspaper to publish so that the company's sales of wigs would hopefully increase. And I wouldn't be surprised if that so-called study is terribly inaccurate as well. Unfortunately with a lot of companies out there (and especially in the hair loss industry) are a helluva lot more concerned with sales than honesty and accuracy.

Khan, you're totally right that that story is totally full of s**t. Nothing pisses me off more than when hair loss is treated as some kind of source of comedy, and gets constantly marginalized and joked about by stupid media outlets and on TV. And imagine if this Telegraph newspaper published some kind of similar study with regards to breast size, race/ethnicity, or weight. They would almost surely need to apologize immediately and would lose a ton of credibility. This double standard really makes me sick. Probably one of the most important things that Spencer does is to try to make the world aware that hair loss is NOT some kind of joke and really is a total "disease of the spirit".

Khan, you're also right when you say that the people behind that study are really trying to screw with our heads. They're trying to imply that people suffering from hair loss are somehow inadequate and inferior to those that do not suffer from hair loss. Well last weekend, I attended a great metal concert, talked to several women there, and power-lifted at the gym. Hardly the activities of some one who feels totally inadequate because of hair loss! Those authors of the study (and even that media outlet that published it) can go screw themselves.

I heard some women say that decent clothing, nice shoes, a watch, and a shot of cologne are attractive.

The key thing to remember is that the dating site profile they created where the photo showed the guy balding still got responses. All you need is one woman...

Plus, dating site profiles are based on photos and some very limited information about interests and career. Personality is going to play a large part in a guy's success with women out in the real world. Personality and that crucial thing called confidence.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    The key thing to remember is that the dating site profile they created where the photo showed the guy balding still got responses. All you need is one woman...

Plus, dating site profiles are based on photos and some very limited information about interests and career. Personality is going to play a large part in a guy's success with women out in the real world. Personality and that crucial thing called confidence.
    I have never even been on a dating site, and really don't see myself doing that in the next many years.

Its just a bad feeling when you are made to feel 80% less attractive then when you had a full set of hair. Its very nasty of them to put stuff like this out there. I have no confidence issues till now, but that seems to be taking a hit. Its just not fair to screw with peoples brains like this. Its a little hard to feel confident when there is shity research out there like this one. The self image kind of takes a hit. I want them to try this same stuff with fat people profile, and then see the sort of response they get for their so called research.

The fact that men find obesity in women unattractive is too obvious to warrant a study really. Political correctness is not the reason.
    It's true that the results should be taken with a grain of salt, since looks are going to play a more important role on dating sites than elsewhere, but it sure is more interesting than simply asking women what they think about balding men.

I hear you. The company who carried out the "study" is trying to sell their product/service, so who knows how honest they were with it. They could've put numerous profiles on the dating site and used the one which got the worst outcome for the bald photo.

Hair loss is obviously distressing to sufferers, but don't let tabloid trash/marketing ploys pretending to be scientific studies make you feel worse. That's exactly what this "study" was designed to do.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com