+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Watch your language. That nonsense is not needed or appreciated.

I do not believe your use of Rogaine is causing this. These are normal things for males as they get older. So you would likely develop those traits even if you had never used Rogaine. It is far more likely a coincidence and nothing more.
    I do not think that this is nonsense, when you use rogaine on a bald head with you fingers this stuff goes in the the system and when you rub it, some of ends down your neck and ears. I had the exact same problem with hair on neck ears and back. To make it even more suspicious the left side (the hand i used to rub the foam with) was a lot worse on my shoulder, neck, and back. With that said, i think that it is a good point, that when you start loosing hair on the head, hair on the body starts to develop. If you use propecia this will reverse the process, you body hair is weakened and head hair is stronger, it is all about hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger norwood's View Post
    I do not think that this is nonsense...
    I was talking about the use of bad language. It is not needed and it is not appreciated.

I believe it is more likely that since he is male and he is at the age that a males hormones start to change that this is the reason for the extra hair elsewhere. Yes it is about hormones. Minoxdiil does not do anything with hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I was talking about the use of bad language. It is not needed and it is not appreciated.

I believe it is more likely that since he is male and he is at the age that a males hormones start to change that this is the reason for the extra hair elsewhere. Yes it is about hormones. Minoxdiil does not do anything with hormones.
    Tracy i respect you as very serious poster, and you do seem to know a lot of things about hairloss, and you are educating the desperate young men who seek advice. I have to say when i comes to minox and side effects among men, i have first hand experiences and also i have the facts to back up the claim, that minox can indeed induce unwanted hair growth on the body. Below is a list of side effects that has been reported from use of minox.

Side effects

Common side effects of minoxidil include burning or irritation of the eye, itching, redness or irritation at the treated area, as well as unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body. Users should stop treatment and seek medical attention right away if they experience any of the following serious side effects: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swollen hands or feet.[11]
    Alcohol and propylene glycol present in some topical preparations may dry the scalp, resulting in dandruff and contact dermatitis.[12] Some formulations of minoxidil substitute lipid Nanosomes in order to reduce contact dermatitis from the alcohol and propylene glycol vehicle.[13][14]
    Paradoxically, hair loss is a common side effect of minoxidil treatment.[15] Manufacturers note that minoxidil-induced hair loss is a common side effect and describe the process as "shedding". Although this phenomenon demonstrates that minoxidil is indeed affecting hair follicles, manufacturers offer no guarantee that the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth. The speculated reason for this shedding is the encouragement of hairs already in the telogen phase to shed early.
    Side effects of oral minoxidil may include swelling of the face and extremities, rapid and irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, cardiac lesions, and focal necrosis of the papillary muscle and subendocardial areas of the left ventricle.[16] There have been cases of allergic reactions to minoxidil or the non-active ingredient propylene glycol, which is found in some topical minoxidil formulations. Pseudoacromegaly is an extremely rare side effect reported with large doses of oral minoxidil.[17]
    Minoxidil is highly toxic to cats and may cause death with just inadvertent skin contact.[18][19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger norwood's View Post
    Tracy i respect you as very serious poster, and you do seem to know a lot of things about hairloss, and you are educating the desperate young men who seek advice. I have to say when i comes to minox and side effects among men, i have first hand experiences and also i have the facts to back up the claim, that minox can indeed induce unwanted hair growth on the body. Below is a list of side effects that has been reported from use of minox.

Side effects

Common side effects of minoxidil include burning or irritation of the eye, itching, redness or irritation at the treated area, as well as unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body. Users should stop treatment and seek medical attention right away if they experience any of the following serious side effects: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swollen hands or feet.[11]
    Alcohol and propylene glycol present in some topical preparations may dry the scalp, resulting in dandruff and contact dermatitis.[12] Some formulations of minoxidil substitute lipid Nanosomes in order to reduce contact dermatitis from the alcohol and propylene glycol vehicle.[13][14]
    Paradoxically, hair loss is a common side effect of minoxidil treatment.[15] Manufacturers note that minoxidil-induced hair loss is a common side effect and describe the process as "shedding". Although this phenomenon demonstrates that minoxidil is indeed affecting hair follicles, manufacturers offer no guarantee that the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth. The speculated reason for this shedding is the encouragement of hairs already in the telogen phase to shed early.
    Side effects of oral minoxidil may include swelling of the face and extremities, rapid and irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, cardiac lesions, and focal necrosis of the papillary muscle and subendocardial areas of the left ventricle.[16] There have been cases of allergic reactions to minoxidil or the non-active ingredient propylene glycol, which is found in some topical minoxidil formulations. Pseudoacromegaly is an extremely rare side effect reported with large doses of oral minoxidil.[17]
    Minoxidil is highly toxic to cats and may cause death with just inadvertent skin contact.[18][19]

yup, I have increased hair growth on my arms, back and ears and my eyelashes are longer too, so it is definitely a possibility. But I did use way too much when I first started the treatment, one bottle would usually last less than two weeks. Now I stick to the recommended dose once a day and I hope it will go back to normal.

Will the amount of bodyhair turn back to normal if i cut down or stop treatment?

If Rogaine actually caused it, yes it should thin back out if you stop. I highly doubt Rogaine caused it though. Actually, I don't it caused it at all. It is far more likely that just simply being a male caused it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dude78 View Post
    yup, I have increased hair growth on my arms, back and ears and my eyelashes are longer too, so it is definitely a possibility. But I did use way too much when I first started the treatment, one bottle would usually last less than two weeks. Now I stick to the recommended dose once a day and I hope it will go back to normal.
    Yup, i've noticed the exact same thing too.

Minoxidil has a very well established side effect profile. Unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body is part of it. A sudden increase in body/ear/facial hair is not something that happens over a short period of time due to "getting older".

Some posters on here are so damned concerned with being know-it-alls that they frequently run their mouths about things which they know nothing about.

If this unwanted hair growth coincided with starting Rogaine then it probably was responsible. I've heard of increased hair growth in places well outside of the area where the stuff was applied. It can cause the fine hairs on the body to go terminal; i.e. thicken, darken and become longer and more visible.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com