Threaded View

Default Reassurance about shock loss

I posted this in another thread, but that thread was on another topic, so I think it's worth starting a new one. The thread about my surgery can be found here:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9370

I'd love a little reassurance re: shock loss, even though I know most of the info. I'm at 9 weeks now, and I'm definitely experiencing some shock loss. Before my HT I would find about 10-20 hairs on my hands between shampooing and conditioning, and now I'm at about 30-35 (sometimes as high as 50), although it varies a little every day. It's not freaking me out, but it does make me a little uncomfortable, and there's that nagging worry in the back of my head that, although I know native hairs typically regrow after exiting the resting phase, I'll somehow be the exception and end up worse off than before my HT. I'm a little reassured about the shower loss because my hair is pretty long and thick (see original pictures), so when I shed the normal ~100 hairs throughout the day, most don't leave my head and just stay trapped by the bulk (I also use a sticky molding paste). My hairline had been receding at the temples very, very slowly over the past few years (I'd say 3 millimeters tops since about '04).

Anyway, I know that every says shock loss occurs within the first three months, but does that mean it usually stops in its tracks at three months, or that it should be tapering off around two month-ish? I.e., when does most of the shock loss typically occur within that window? And, most importantly, is there any risk that shock loss can make a person WORSE off than they were before surgery--i.e., that the surgery accelerates MPB even after the shock loss period ends? That's my worry now; I can handle loss that will grow back, but I'm concerned that I see a heightened level of shedding into the indefinite future.

As always, I really appreciate encouragement/comments/etc. You guys are great, and I'm thankful every day that I found this forum.