+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy losing my hair at 20

shits got me really stressed, ive always been a bit of a childish person in my demeanor and now i feel like im a joke like im trying to be something im not. its turning me into a hermit at 20. my hairline has been receding pretty fast, with a lot of thinning in the temple areas. was shedding heavily earlier this year but that for whatever reason has gone down a decent amount perhaps because i started nizoral. from what ive read it seems like its important to start a treatment, propecia right away because preventing more hair from falling out is far more likely than growing it back so i tried going to my doctor and she said im not going bald when its so obvious that someone i barely know commented "nice combover" after seeing me with wet hair. got a new doctor and she tried every way possible to say it wasnt mpb and it was normal, she was in her 60s and had a somewhat high hairline and tried saying i just have a hairline like hers and thin hair when ive always had a normal hairline and thick coarse hair. tried to say it was because i wore hats which i stopped doing months ago then tried saying it was because i shower daily. its got me really frustrated, even my hair cutter has said im losing my hair and quickly. eventually she said she believed me and that she wouldnt prescribe me propecia till i see a dermatologist which is booked up for six months solid. its got me so pissed i just want to be doing something about it. im trying to get over my suicidal depression and its so hard when every morning a wake up and see i have less hair and every time i get my hair cut i realize ive lost even more than i thought. sometimes i feel like im on a time limit as ****ed as that sounds, like i have to kill myself before im bald so ill actually look like myself in my casket. i feel like im just watching myself get a year older every week, i cant wait six months then another year to TRY something i just want to get on with being a young man. i dont even care about the possible sexual side effects because i have so little confidence i havent approached a girl in three years. i just dont want to feel like people are judging me all the time i already have oily acne prone skin with scars and a permenantly crooked nose that i cant breathe through from my dad punching me in the face as an infant and big ears that are usually bright red and an arm full of stitched up scars.

Calm down man. Many people in the same boat as you including me. Freaking out so much about your hair is not that healthy. You can take some steps to slow it down, but if its genetic, then it is what it is. What is your ethnic background by the way? As that can be a factor also.

I also have male pattern baldness and am 20, and don't even take any medication or special shampoo. I feel great, am happy, have a nice girlfriend, hang out with my friends, enjoy life, no one cares about my hair, and it is what it is for me, since it's genetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maaz View Post
    Calm down man. Many people in the same boat as you including me. Freaking out so much about your hair is not that healthy. You can take some steps to slow it down, but if its genetic, then it is what it is. What is your ethnic background by the way? As that can be a factor also.

I also have male pattern baldness and am 20, and don't even take any medication or special shampoo. I feel great, am happy, have a nice girlfriend, hang out with my friends, enjoy life, no one cares about my hair, and it is what it is for me, since it's genetic.
    i know man, and its not really just the hair. its more so just that almost everything else in my life i dont like i cant change and this is one thing that i feel like theres at least something i can be doing. i dont really care too much if im bald when im older i just feel like im being robbed of my youth and i never really had a childood. im chinese, indonesian, german, irish, slovanian, and native american and im guessing mines genetic too btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Skin: Look into Retin-A and laser treatments

Nose: This will be covered by insurance, particularly if you have breathing problems. This'll be a good chance to get a cheap or free nose job too if you want.

Hair: Get on minoxidil and Nizoral. That'll buy you all the time you need until you meet with the derm. Then get on fin and wait a year and a bit. Eventually you can get a HT if you want.

Arms: Dermabrasion or laser treatments may help.

Use you anger to go to the gym and get big.

I think of life like this: I have so many tiny (but annoying) little problems like you. Dedicate yourself hard to self-improvement and in two years time you'll be amazed. I have written a self-improvement guide and timeline laying out what to work on and by when. I monitor progress and see how things are coming along. As I speak my 22nd birthday is looking good as my goal to have life back on track. That will be my dream body, plastic surgery, hair transplant, and perfect skin.

Don't worry too much about your hairline. You'll look fine right up to a NW3 if you know how to style it properly. You may also want to consider cutting it yourself if you want to make sure that she doesn't screw up and make you look like you're going bald.

What Norwood are you btw?
    ill have to look into the skin treatments you reccomended, thanks

and the nose thing i went to my doctor and they said they wouldnt/couldnt do anything. thats kind of what i get whenever i go there though, "oh youre suicidally depressed? dont worry well set you up an appointment with a psych four months from now" "oh youre passing out when you stand up? we'll run some blood work" "oh youre loosing your hair? no you arent. ok you are well set you up a referal to see dermatology who we know isnt taking new patients."

ive been thinking about starting minox, im already using nizoral, but i was concerned that it might cause my thin spots to become bald spots that just fill in with scraggly hairs. does it help for frontal thinning? its tough to say where im at on the norwood because mines got the shape but is really thin going up the temples. i'd probably say a two. its just thin in the shape of a 2a.

gonna start working out again though been longboarding and skateboarding frequently which helps a lot with stress. kinda gets me down sometimes being "the older guy" when im younger than a quarter of the people there.

im planning to start working out again though as well. ill have to try putting my ager into that like you said. it really does get frustrating having all this anger and nowhere to direct it that can help me.

thanks again for all the advice man i really really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    shits got me really stressed, ive always been a bit of a childish person in my demeanor and now i feel like im a joke like im trying to be something im not. its turning me into a hermit at 20. my hairline has been receding pretty fast, with a lot of thinning in the temple areas. was shedding heavily earlier this year but that for whatever reason has gone down a decent amount perhaps because i started nizoral. from what ive read it seems like its important to start a treatment, propecia right away because preventing more hair from falling out is far more likely than growing it back so i tried going to my doctor and she said im not going bald when its so obvious that someone i barely know commented "nice combover" after seeing me with wet hair. got a new doctor and she tried every way possible to say it wasnt mpb and it was normal, she was in her 60s and had a somewhat high hairline and tried saying i just have a hairline like hers and thin hair when ive always had a normal hairline and thick coarse hair. tried to say it was because i wore hats which i stopped doing months ago then tried saying it was because i shower daily. its got me really frustrated, even my hair cutter has said im losing my hair and quickly. eventually she said she believed me and that she wouldnt prescribe me propecia till i see a dermatologist which is booked up for six months solid. its got me so pissed i just want to be doing something about it. im trying to get over my suicidal depression and its so hard when every morning a wake up and see i have less hair and every time i get my hair cut i realize ive lost even more than i thought. sometimes i feel like im on a time limit as ****ed as that sounds, like i have to kill myself before im bald so ill actually look like myself in my casket. i feel like im just watching myself get a year older every week, i cant wait six months then another year to TRY something i just want to get on with being a young man. i dont even care about the possible sexual side effects because i have so little confidence i havent approached a girl in three years. i just dont want to feel like people are judging me all the time i already have oily acne prone skin with scars and a permenantly crooked nose that i cant breathe through from my dad punching me in the face as an infant and big ears that are usually bright red and an arm full of stitched up scars.
    Wow mate, it seems like you've been through a lot already at your age. Im a year younger than you but my hair has started receding, although i don't shed anything anymore. But you really shouldn't let all these things get to you. I know it's easier said than done. But life has a way at times of just ****ing you over, but the good news is there's nearly always a way around these problems. You just gotta be tough and fight through it. Where do you live? If you're from the UK do you have health insurance with like BUPA? They would be able to fix your nose. If not im sure it would be covered by the NHS. If your doctors is useless go join another doctors! Believe it or not some of them actually care for you and will help you. In terms of girls you just gotta be yourself, personality is as important as looks. But good luck man, it'll all turn out okay