+ Reply to Thread

Default Who can I see about my hair that isn't a salesman?

I'm overly overly paranoid about hairloss right now and have to make some big decisions immediately on my course of action.

I want to see someone quickly in the industry with experience who genuinely would be looking out for my best interests in giving me advice (instead of trying to sell me something).

I wen't to a clinic and they just tried to sell me Fin and Minox for thousands of dollars per year and was clearly trying to scare me into buying it.
    They also bent the truth about the side effects of Fin so I know they weren't being genuine.

Can anyone tell me what sort of professional I can see for this?
    Hopefully on shortish notice.
    (I live in Sydney Australia).

Doctor Representative

Smile

Hi Parker,

You can send pictures for an online consultation. The beauty of technology is that you don't have to travel. Just make sure to send picture of front, back, sides and top, and also wet hair.

Cheers

To be honest, I don't know if these doctors are actually bending the truth about the side effects of fin. I went to two different dermatologists known for their expertise on hair loss and they didn't think the side effects of fin were that common nor permanent. I don't agree with them but I also don't think they were being dishonest. They were giving me their experiences based on their patients for almost two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    They also bent the truth about the side effects of Fin so I know they weren't being genuine.
    The most truth bending concerning Finasteride is coming from the fear mongers and ambulance chasers, even more so than Merck themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    To be honest, I don't know if these doctors are actually bending the truth about the side effects of fin....

I don't agree with them but I also don't think they were being dishonest. They were giving me their experiences based on their patients for almost two decades.
    These doctors have actual real life examples in front of them. These doctors are going to have a better idea than anyone else about how common the possible side effects of finasteride really are.

I do agree that it is more common than Merck claims, especially among younger males with milder Norwood classifications. I do not agree that it is as common as the fear mongers and ambulance chasers are trying to make men believe it is.

I also agree that a reliable testing protocol needs to be developed. However, fear mongering and ambulance chasing is corrupting the data so much that a reliable testing protocol would be nearly impossible to develop.

Tracy, you're right, the doctors do have a better idea about how common possible side effects are. However, the patient has to weigh their risk tolerance for those side effects and not let a doctor convince them otherwise. As someone who lost hair from a drug prescribed by a dermatologist at a young age I will not adjust my risk tolerance due to their observations. When taking a drug you need to be able to accept the side effects if you fall into that minority category. If you cannot I think you should not take the drug.

Had I known permanent hair loss or even temporary hair loss was a side effect of the drug I took I would not have taken it. I was not informed by my dermatologist or the drug label. At 16 I was naive and did not do further research. I relied on the professional and I got burned. Now I am a skeptic. I will listen to their expertise but I will not take something unless I am willing to accept the consequences as rare as they may occur.

ThinningB420,

Is it possible that that specific side effect was not yet known when you were prescribed that specific drug?

Yes I do agree that everyone should research any medication they are prescribed before they take it. However, that information should be as reliable and unbiased as possible. Information from fear mongers and ambulance chasers is tainted and biased, therefore far from reliable.

Trust me, I made sure I knew everything about Spiro I could possibly know before I started taking it.

Temporary hair loss was known at the time. I don't think permanent hair loss was known. Despite that, my derm never mentioned this side effect to me because it was considered rare. My derm also suggested Rogaine when I told her I thought I was balding. She never told me I'd need it permanently. I didn't use the Rogaine, and I'm glad I made that decision. She also didn't test my blood before and while on this drug even though you are supposed to. This was someone my parents took me to for acne and I trusted her. I've been paying for it since. No real studies have been done to prove permanent hair loss from the drug and so it's hard to prove it. If you search the internet there are lots of people who complain about the problem I have and even some HT doctors believe what I am saying is possible. It doesn't really matter anyway because the drug is no longer on the market as it had serious suicidal side effects.

It is unfortunate that scenarios like that can and do happen. It seems as though permanent hair loss was not yet a know side effects of that specific drug at that specific time. Even so, I can see mistakes that your dermatologist and your parents both made back then that you are now paying for. Neither your dermatologist or your parents exercised adequate and appropriate due diligence about that specific drug. A similar scenario concerning birth control pills has been going on for many years - and many women do not find out until years later when their hair starts falling out.