+ Reply to Thread

Default Will I lose much hair in 4-5 months?

I have a thinning hairline and a terrible shapped head for it (I look good with hair covering the sides of my forehead but shocking with it revealed).

I;m 24 and may have only been receding the past year or so so I don't know how fast it happens which leads onto my question at the end.

My plan of action is to go on Minoxidil to start with as it's the safest option.

My problem is that I have something very important in 4-5 months time that I have to look my best for.
    If I take Minoxidil from now then I will shed and not look my best for that.

So my plan is to start taking Minoxidil after that event in 4-5 months time.

My question is:
    Is it likely that I will lose a significant amount of hair in 4-5 months time that it would make much of a difference?
    Or should I make it first priority to get on Minoxidil straight away?

Thanks so much for anyone who answers.

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

minoxidil shed is not a certainty but rather uncommon in fact

Parker,

The very first thing you need to know and realize is that Minoxidil usually does not work in the hair line and temples for males. This is because it is completely natural and normal for males to develop an adult mature male hair line. The adult mature male hair line is not MPB. Both Minoxidil and Finasteride work best for males in the vertex and/or mid-anterior areas, not the hair line. There is currently no treatment that works in the hair line for males, except hair transplant surgery.

Shedding is common with both Finasteride and Minoxidil. Shedding is part of the process of recovery, but it doesn't always happen. How much you will shed depends on how much of your hair follicles are damaged by DHT. There is no way for you to know ahead of time. There is no way for anyone to be able to answer this question on that.

It would be best for you to wait until after the event. However, now would be a good time to switch from your regular shampoo and conditioner to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner if you haven't already done so. It would also be a good idea to start using Nizoral A-D shampoo once a week.

Tracy, what exactly is it about sulfates in shampoo that's deleterious to follicles? I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo months ago after a surgeon's urging, but I've never known exactly how the negative impact occurs.

I would suggest you wait until after your event. I started minoxidil at the beginning of June and my hair looks terrible. I've lost so much hair all over the top of my scalp. I'm hoping it grows back soon as I will be looking for jobs in the next month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Parker,

The very first thing you need to know and realize is that Minoxidil usually does not work in the hair line and temples for males. This is because it is completely natural and normal for males to develop an adult mature male hair line. The adult mature male hair line is not MPB. Both Minoxidil and Finasteride work best for males in the vertex and/or mid-anterior areas, not the hair line. There is currently no treatment that works in the hair line for males, except hair transplant surgery.

Shedding is common with both Finasteride and Minoxidil. Shedding is part of the process of recovery, but it doesn't always happen. How much you will shed depends on how much of your hair follicles are damaged by DHT. There is no way for you to know ahead of time. There is no way for anyone to be able to answer this question on that.

It would be best for you to wait until after the event. However, now would be a good time to switch from your regular shampoo and conditioner to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner if you haven't already done so. It would also be a good idea to start using Nizoral A-D shampoo once a week.
    Thanks Tracy.

I checked my shampoo. It is actually sulfate free already Neutrogena.
    I use this 95% of the time But I'm switching to 100%!

I hear Nizoral can have a similar shedding effect as Minox so I won't rush into that either.

I'm going to have to disagree, I think Minox can have just as much effect on hairline and temple as the top.
    I've seen many pictures of great results in these areas.

Plus I read that the reason for this thought is just that the clinical trials were only on the top of the scalp so they can only make this claim officially.

Aside from that my understanding is that hair receding or "maturing hairline" is scientifically exactly the same phenomena as top balding (both natural, receding is just more common at earlier ages) so I see no reason why it would be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    I would suggest you wait until after your event. I started minoxidil at the beginning of June and my hair looks terrible. I've lost so much hair all over the top of my scalp. I'm hoping it grows back soon as I will be looking for jobs in the next month or two.
    Thanks that's a very helpful response.
    Just made a more elaborate thread on this question before I read this post hoping for informative responses like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    I hear Nizoral can have a similar shedding effect as Minox so I won't rush into that either.
    This happens to those who over use Nizoral. You only need to use Nizoral once or twice a week. Using it more often than that can cause shedding.

I'm going to have to disagree, I think Minox can have just as much effect on hairline and temple as the top.
    I've seen many pictures of great results in these areas.
    You are completely allowed to disagree if you want to. But you need to know about this and be fully aware of it before you commit to using Rogaine on your hair line. Yes it can work for some males in their temples and hair line, but those lucky guys are the acception not the norm.

Plus I read that the reason for this thought is just that the clinical trials were only on the top of the scalp so they can only make this claim officially.
    Though it is true that this is partly the reason Rogiane cannot claim it works on a males hair line, it is not the only reason. The percentage of males for whom it does work in their hair lines is not statistically significant. You need to make sure you are fully aware of this before you start.

Aside from that my understanding is that hair receding or "maturing hairline" is scientifically exactly the same phenomena as top balding (both natural, receding is just more common at earlier ages) so I see no reason why it would be any different.
    It is different because we are talking about two different and separate processes. One is a natural and normal part of viralization into an adult male, the other is MPB.

Again, you need to make sure you are fully aware of this before you start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    This happens to those who over use Nizoral. You only need to use Nizoral once or twice a week. Using it more often than that can cause shedding.

You are completely allowed to disagree if you want to. But you need to know about this and be fully aware of it before you commit to using Rogaine on your hair line. Yes it can work for some males in their temples and hair line, but those lucky guys are the acception not the norm.

Though it is true that this is partly the reason Rogiane cannot claim it works on a males hair line, it is not the only reason. The percentage of males for whom it does work in their hair lines is not statistically significant. You need to make sure you are fully aware of this before you start.

It is different because we are talking about two different and separate processes. One is a natural and normal part of viralization into an adult male, the other is MPB.

Again, you need to make sure you are fully aware of this before you start.
    So your saying theres a good chance it might make the hairline shed but not grow back and be worse?

So your saying theres a good chance it might make the hairline shed but not grow back and be worse?
    Yes that can happen - and it does happen. You need to be fully aware of that. You need to be ready, willing and able to take that risk.

If you do nothing, your temples and hair line will slowly recede. If you try treating your temples and hair line with Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) one of three things will happen. 1) nothing and no change. 2) The hair in your temples and hair line sheds out and doesn't grow back. or 3) You are one of the lucky guys who can regrow some hair in your temples and hair line.

Again, this possibility generally only applies to males who use it on their temples and hair lines. This generally does not apply to males who use it properly in the vertex and mid-anterior areas. This also does not apply to females.