+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I did get a miniaturization test done. Not a bulk analysis, where a particular area of the scalp is mapped out and analyzed over a period of time, but a surgeon did use a 50X digital magnifying scope all over my scalp to detect where miniaturization was taking place. It turned out that there was only miniaturization at the very edge of the hairline; none behind, and none at the crown. So to have that relative lack of miniaturization at 29, I'm pretty lucky. But getting that kind of thing done can be extremely helpful, because it offers some sort of predictive data. Obviously nothing is ironclad, but age combined with that sort of miniaturization analysis can offer some guidance. Every person's hair loss is different, but most doctors will tell you that there are certainly trends. My impression is that age is a huge factor; I've always been told that if you're programmed to go highly bald--like a NW6 or 7--you're going to experience significant hair loss by the time you're 30. If you make it to 30 with a relatively intact full head of hair, like mine, you're looking at something less drastic. Nothing's set in stone, of course, but this is my impression based upon chats with multiple doctors. You're only just entering your twenties, so you're exposed to a much greater level of uncertainty, but my highly nonmedical opinion is that at this point, you're not expressing anything that should cause panic.

If you're looking to have a miniaturization study done, you should look at Hasson & Wong in Vancouver. They're one of the most respected HT outfits in the world, and I'm sure they're able to perform that kind of thing and give you a more informed opinion about loss that you're likely to experience. If you're not close to Vancouver, use the IAHRS website to look for other qualified doctors in Canada. Any of them should be able to provide you with this information.

And any decision about whether or not to take Propecia is intensely personal. There are posters on here that will rake over the coals anyone who chooses not to out of fear of side effects, and conversely there are folks who have had bad experiences who will excoriate anyone who's a fan of the drug. I made the decision months ago that, for now, I'm not comfortable taking the drug. If my hair loss escalates for some unforeseen reason, I'll revisit Propecia, but I'm not willing to accept even the slim risk of sides for now. So just make an informed decision and try not to let second-guessing eat away at you. And even if you DO get on Propecia, there are multiple ways to do it; some guys have very, very gradually tapered onto it (like taking .25mg every other day) with great success.
    Depending on the time of year I'm all over Southern Ontario so Vancouver is pretty far... but there has to be someone in Toronto. I live close to Buffalo also so I could always go south of the border. Would a HT doctor even offer me a miniaturization test when at the moment I'm not a candidate (nor am I even remotely considering) a HT? There is little money in it for them... I suppose I'll have to call and find out

Quote Originally Posted by idontlikespinach View Post
    Depending on the time of year I'm all over Southern Ontario so Vancouver is pretty far... but there has to be someone in Toronto. I live close to Buffalo also so I could always go south of the border. Would a HT doctor even offer me a miniaturization test when at the moment I'm not a candidate (nor am I even remotely considering) a HT? There is little money in it for them... I suppose I'll have to call and find out
    I'm almost positive they would. Most surgeons get into the field not just for the money, but because they genuinely care about improving patients' lives, and they know how distressing MPB can be, especially at a young age. And from a business point of view, it just makes sense... establish a relationship early, give someone a bit of your time, and they're likely to return. It's also pretty common for surgeons to meet with patients that have had procedures with other doctors and are concerned about the results. Just call up a doctor, tell them what your situation, and say that you'd like to discuss your hair loss and talk about potential treatments. I'd be shocked if you get rebuffed. And re: Toronto, here's the IAHRS page for Ontario. There's a doc in Toronto and one in Ottawa.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/ontario/

I've heard more about Dr. Rahal than Dr. Mackenzie, but all IAHRS-approved surgeons are regarded as outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I'm almost positive they would. Most surgeons get into the field not just for the money, but because they genuinely care about improving patients' lives, and they know how distressing MPB can be, especially at a young age. And from a business point of view, it just makes sense... establish a relationship early, give someone a bit of your time, and they're likely to return. It's also pretty common for surgeons to meet with patients that have had procedures with other doctors and are concerned about the results. Just call up a doctor, tell them what your situation, and say that you'd like to discuss your hair loss and talk about potential treatments. I'd be shocked if you get rebuffed. And re: Toronto, here's the IAHRS page for Ontario. There's a doc in Toronto and one in Ottawa.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/ontario/

I've heard more about Dr. Rahal than Dr. Mackenzie, but all IAHRS-approved surgeons are regarded as outstanding.

Thanks man, I really appreciate your help. It's nice to see someone who had a similar pattern to mine since most of the people I know balding at this age get really agressive mpb and are appreciably balding in a couple years so I can't relate to that. I'll get the miniaturization test, either DIY or by a doctor, and I'll reevaluate my position then.

I have one more question for curiosity's sake more than anything. You mentioned that your girlfriend of 10 years had no idea you had receded until you decided to get the HT. How did she take this? If I do end up needing propecia I'll have to sit down and explain with my girlfriend (who I've been with for 3 years) that I've been hiding something from her since high school and she will most likely not be happy.

Hi, Idontlikespinach.

Just wondering how things went for you. Did you have any success with any treatment? Did your hairloss halt?

Cheers,