+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by graymonkey44 View Post
    ...but do you have a link to any of these studies?
    Go to the FDA website, look up ketoconazole and azelaic acid and read the side effect information. Hair loss is a possible side effect of ketoconazole. This side effect, lake most others, is more likely to happen when the medication is over used (over dosed). However, when used in just the right dose, ketoconazole has the opposite effect and can be a helpful adjunct to proven treatments for hereditary hair loss. The devil is on the details.

The known side effects of azelaic acid outweigh the possible benefit in regard to treating hair loss. If you are under a doctor's care for your hair loss and the doctor puts you on it, that's one thing. If however you are treating your hair loss completely on your own, that's another thing entirely and you should avoid azelaic acid.

...and also why azelaic acid does not help in hair regrowth.
    I did not say azelaic acid does not help. I said azelaic acid can do more harm than good. Refer to the side effect information on this specific medication.

If it (Regenepure) does really contain less than 1% ketoconazole, couldn't that mean I could take it more than once or twice a week compared to Nizoral or something with 2%?
    Possibly but the problem is you just don't know how much ketoconazole is in Regenepure. You would be guessing. The only thing you can know for sure is that it legally cannot contain more than 1% ketoconazole because Nizoral still has an active patent on that 1% dosage.

Also, what types or brands of sulfate free shampoos and conditioners would you recommend. Nioxin is supposed to be pretty good, but it does contain SLS. Thanks.
    Nioxin is a scam. Like Regenepure, Nioxin is way over priced for what you get. There are many less expansive products on the market that are every bit as good or better. Sulfate free is the way to go when you can, especially if you wash every day. Nizoral is not sulfate free, but since you only use it once or twice a week, your exposure to the sulfates in it are insignificant.

As far as brand preference goes, I like Aveeno. Aveeno makes an excellent sulfate free shampoo, conditioner and 2in1. As also like Nuetrogena BTW, but I use Aveeno.

Thanks for the replies. If I were to take minoxidil, what would you recommend? There's been pretty good reviews with Lipogaine although it does contain azelaic acid, too. I've been looking at different doctors that specialize in hair loss and there is a Bosley clinic where I live. Should I schedule a free consultation there or would it be a waste of my time?

Well I spoke online with a represenative from the Hair Loss Control Clinic. The woman I spoke to was very nice, but I'm still a little hesitant on whether I want to go. They are willing to do a free consultation, but I'm nervouse they will try to pressure me into buying something. It seems like they have some quality products, but I'm not sure if laser therapy is really necessary for me. I'm sure the products are probably pretty overpriced, too. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies. If I were to take minoxidil, what would you recommend?
    If you are only going to use Minoxidil once a day, use Rogaine foam.

If you intend to use Minoxidil twice a day, use Rogaine foam for your morning dose and generic liquid Minoxidil for your evening dose.

Either way, taper onto the dose you decide on slowly over time. If you decide to stop using it, taper off of it slowly over time.

There is no need and too little benefit for the exotic blends. So don't waste your money on them. Rogaine foam, Generic Mioxidil foam and generic liquid Minoxidil are all available at Walmart for reasonable prices.

I've been looking at different doctors that specialize in hair loss and there is a Bosley clinic where I live. Should I schedule a free consultation there or would it be a waste of my time?
    Stay away from Bosley or any other chain "clinic". Look for an IAHRS doctor in your area.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

It seems like they have some quality products, but I'm not sure if laser therapy is really necessary for me.
    Many people feel low level laser therapy is a scam and a waste of money. I am not one of those people. My sister and I use the laser comb ourselves and I do feel it has helped both of us appreciably. However, there is the possibility that LLLT might work better for women than it does for men. Looking at the photos you have provided, I personally feel you would probably benefit from using the laser comb every other day. However, I do not think paying the high cost of laser treatments from a clinic is worth the money. If you are seriously considering LLLT, just buy a laser comb directly from Hairmax. That way you will at least get the money back guarantee if it doesn't work for you.

Does the laser therapy actually promote regrowth? Or does it just make the hair look fuller? I emailed a doctor on the link provided and he recommended I go on finasteride 1/4 of a 5mg tablet every other day. I'm unsure of whether I want to go this route. I sent the doctor some pictures as well for reference. The doctor also said that minoxidil helps stop hair loss, but isn't a good promoter in hair growth. I thought it was just the opposite. I though minoxidil was supposed to be a great promoter of hair growth. I may go in for a personal consulatation, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Like Regenepure, Nioxin is way over priced for what you get. There are many less expansive products on the market that are every bit as good or better.
    I was shedding a lot on nizoral, not had this problem since switching to regenepure.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    I was shedding a lot on nizoral, not had this problem since switching to regenepure.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't tell anyone anything. There too many variables that you fail to define. What version of Nizoral were you using and how often were you using it? Those are critically important things to mention when you are going to make statements like this. If you are not willing to provide important details, everything else you say is pointless.

Yes, ketoconazole can cause shedding if you over use it. If you used 2% Nizoral more than once a week, yes you could shed from that. If you used 1% Nizoral more than twice a week, yes you can shed from that.

The devil is in the details and the details do matter. The makers of Regenepure leave out a vital detail too. They do not tell you how much ketoconazole is in Regenepure. For all you know, you might not even be using enough ketoconazole to make a difference.

Does the laser therapy actually promote regrowth? Or does it just make the hair look fuller?
    The statement as cleared by the FDA is that the laser comb promotes hair growth.

There are four things that I know the laser comb does. It increases the caliber of the hair that you have. It increases the strength of the hair that you have. It improves the quality of the hair that you have. It makes your hair grow faster. This includes hair that grows back from using Rogaine (Minoxidil). I do not have the means to be able to tell if using my laser comb has stimulated any "re-growth", but it has certainly stimulated growth and improved my hair noticeably and appreciably.

The doctor also said that minoxidil helps stop hair loss, but isn't a good promoter in hair growth. I thought it was just the opposite.
    Doctors can be wrong, and they can also be misunderstood or misquoted. Minoxidil is a growth stimulant. It promotes hair regrowth. Minoxidil is not very good at preventing further hair loss at all. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "great" hair growth stimulant at this time, but something is better than nothing. I grew a lot of hair back with Minoxidil.

Finasteride blocks further hair loss but it does not stimulate regrowth. Finasteride "allows" hair follicles that can still grow hair to start growing hair again, but it does not stimulate those follicles to do so.

Both Minoxidil and Finasteride are appropriate for hereditary hair loss. Minoxidil can be appropriate for some of the other types of hair loss, but Finasteride is specifically for hereditary hair loss in males "MPB". If you do not have MPB, Finasteride is not appropriate for you.

What are your thoughts on copper peptides? More specifically Tricomm. I've been reading a little on it and it seems like a decent hair product. I've decided I'm not going to mess around with any chemicals and go an all natural approach. Anyone have any good all natural remedies?

I've decided I'm not going to mess around with any chemicals and go an all natural approach.
    There is absolutely no legitimate and compelling evidence that any "natural" remedy for hair loss actually works in any meaningful way for anyone. "Natural" remedies for hair loss are all BS scams. The only thing they do effectively is separate you from your money.

Anyone have any good all natural remedies?
    There aren't any.