Jesus I wish I started fin sooner - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Actually I find the idea of walking around bald to be worse. Not for others, just for myself. I would feel the same way if I was disfigured in a fire or car accident. I can't actually say if I would really choose to die if I reached a certain point, no one knows for sure until they are in that position. I just occasionally vent my innermost frustrations and darkest thoughts on this nice forum we have been provided.
    Anyway, I guess I can see how other people would find this ridiculous. I'm not recommending my style of thinking to anyone else and I don't know why I was born this way. It is what it is though.

    Unfortunately I am mainly a diffuse thinner so a transplant isn't a great option for me. I am hoping for better treatments to become available by the time finasteride starts losing its effect. I do feel pretty sure we will have new options within the next several years, although it remains to be seen what will and wont hit the market, and how effective these things will ultimately be.
    I don't think your mindset is uncommon. I personally plan to commit seppuku if I'm unable to control my balding.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ONT
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BGP View Post
    I don't think your mindset is uncommon. I personally plan to commit seppuku if I'm unable to control my balding.
    Ooo with a bamboo sword, like in that movie Harakiri?

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    403

    Default

    I'm pretty appalled that someone would chew you out as being "pathetic" for contemplating suicide in the event of baldness. We're all different, and vanity impacts us all differently. I'm a NW2.5-3 with relatively minor loss, and while I obsess over the fact that I don't have a juvenile hairline, I'm thankful every day for what I have; I don't think any of my family/friends even realize that I've lost hair (but I got a HT a few weeks ago anyway... lol).

    Anyway, my point is that I understand where you're coming from, and that I have lots and lots of genuine empathy for your situation. I'm also happy that at least fin has mitigated the loss the took place. We all suffer hair loss differently, and it wreaks more collateral damage on some psyches than others. No one here should feel in a position to judge.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    876

    Default

    I totally understand what you're saying, 25 Going on 65. I had a truly horrendous day today and I feel utterly terrible. If I wasn't suffering from hair loss, my day would've been fine. Hair loss inhibits the hell out of me too. I now work out wearing a bandana and I absolutely hate doing that. But my hair looks like s**t when I sweat so I have no choice. However, when I go out at night I refuse to wear a hat since I don't want to be a prisoner to just wearing hats all the time. But in order to go out, I too need to blow-dry, shampoo, and style the hell out of my hair just so no one will know that I'm suffering from hair loss. But I wonder how long this illusion will last. Will there come a time when I simply cannot hide my hair loss any longer? I have absolutely no desire to live life as a bald man so I don't what I'll do then.

    I wish to God that I would've started Propecia sooner myself. If I had started it even a year earlier, my life would be completely different right now. One year I was posting photos on facebook and having my girlfriend style my hair because I didn't even have to worry about hair loss. The same time the next year, I was a complete mess. I removed my facebook account, didn't pose for photos anymore, and I would never let my girl style my hair anymore. Hair loss is just absolutely devastating.

    You're totally right in your frustration when you say "the fact we can perform a face transplant but not regrow some dead cells on a goddamn scalp is completely mind boggling at times". I totally agree and I talk about this all the time. It angers and frustrates me to no end that for a disease (hair loss) that drastically affects the lives of so many people, we have such minimal and ineffective options to regrow hair. Most people don't want FUT hair transplants yet that's all that we're being offered left and right. We need better options (and doctors need to start offering other things besides these hair transplants) because so many of us are so passionate about regrowing our hair yet we're not given any real options to do so.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I'm pretty appalled that someone would chew you out as being "pathetic" for contemplating suicide in the event of baldness. We're all different, and vanity impacts us all differently. I'm a NW2.5-3 with relatively minor loss, and while I obsess over the fact that I don't have a juvenile hairline, I'm thankful every day for what I have; I don't think any of my family/friends even realize that I've lost hair (but I got a HT a few weeks ago anyway... lol).

    Anyway, my point is that I understand where you're coming from, and that I have lots and lots of genuine empathy for your situation. I'm also happy that at least fin has mitigated the loss the took place. We all suffer hair loss differently, and it wreaks more collateral damage on some psyches than others. No one here should feel in a position to judge.
    I wouldn't say it's pathetic to contemplate suicide because of baldness. I would say it's a severely psychologically disturbing thought and anyone who would rather kill themselves than be bald needs serious mental help.

    Yeah, everyone responds differently to situations. However, no rational person would consider suicide a reasonable response to baldness.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I'm pretty appalled that someone would chew you out as being "pathetic" for contemplating suicide in the event of baldness. We're all different, and vanity impacts us all differently. I'm a NW2.5-3 with relatively minor loss, and while I obsess over the fact that I don't have a juvenile hairline, I'm thankful every day for what I have; I don't think any of my family/friends even realize that I've lost hair (but I got a HT a few weeks ago anyway... lol).

    Anyway, my point is that I understand where you're coming from, and that I have lots and lots of genuine empathy for your situation. I'm also happy that at least fin has mitigated the loss the took place. We all suffer hair loss differently, and it wreaks more collateral damage on some psyches than others. No one here should feel in a position to judge.
    Because it is pathetic to want to kill yourself over having no hair. If i woke up bald tomorrow i would just get on and deal with it, yeah i wouldn't like it but you gotta make the most out of what you've got. Im not judging anybody, but the guy sounds like he needs serious help if he thinks suicide is the best way to deal with baldness. i do empathise with this dude as i know what he's going through. But so many people on here act as if their whole life depends on their hair, and it doesn't.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnbath View Post
    Because it is pathetic to want to kill yourself over having no hair. If i woke up bald tomorrow i would just get on and deal with it, yeah i wouldn't like it but you gotta make the most out of what you've got. Im not judging anybody, but the guy sounds like he needs serious help if he thinks suicide is the best way to deal with baldness. i do empathise with this dude as i know what he's going through. But so many people on here act as if their whole life depends on their hair, and it doesn't.

    Seppuku is the only honorable response to uncontrollable baldness.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnbath View Post
    Because it is pathetic to want to kill yourself over having no hair. If i woke up bald tomorrow i would just get on and deal with it, yeah i wouldn't like it but you gotta make the most out of what you've got. Im not judging anybody, but the guy sounds like he needs serious help if he thinks suicide is the best way to deal with baldness. i do empathise with this dude as i know what he's going through. But so many people on here act as if their whole life depends on their hair, and it doesn't.
    It's not pathetic to think that way. I feel it's understandable to feel that someone would want to kill themselves over hair loss but it doesn't mean it's normal or healthy. If you want to kill yourself there's definitely a bigger underlying issue than hair loss like possibly the attachment to how people think of you or not knowing what's really important in life. It can't be just your hair loss.

    I'm not suicidal about my hair loss at all but I don't have the zest for life at this moment and I sort of feel if I were to die from something outside of my control I wouldn't really care. It must get easier though when everyone your age starts to go chrome dome. I think we're just a bunch of boys who don't want to let go of our youth completely cause if I was 60 and considered myself an old guy I really don't think I'd care about baldness.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Look: if you think it's pathetic to contemplate suicide over hair loss, that's your prerogative. I disagree. But here's the rub: telling someone that's disclosed that they've contemplated suicide that their feelings are pathetic makes you an asshole. Period. Doing so accomplishes absolutely nothing other than potentially making the person feel ashamed and inflaming any risk that they do engage in self-harm. So if your need to feel superior outweighs the risk of aggravating someone else's alarming impulses, go right ahead. But it's a monstrously selfish thing to do.

    This is an anonymous internet forum where people come to seek information, empathy, and reassurance. Why on earth do people feel the need to insult or degrade users that obviously feel depressed or vulnerable? That kind of casual cruelty simply mystifies me.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Thanks to those of you who can identify with me, and to those who can't but empathize anyway. I truly appreciate the support and I have real empathy for you also. This is a depressing "club" to be in but it is easier than going through it alone.
    The last few days have been much better for me. The emotional rollercoaster never fails to rise, fall, and rise again. If we can keep riding out the lows I think something good is on the horizon for us, a new treatment option (or more than one) that will make us glad we survived it all. Davey Jones on this forum said maybe we're all better people for having gone through this. That isn't much consolation for how we live in the present, but if some technology gives us back our hair (or enough of it to satisfy us), I think we will all be living life with a whole new outlook and sense of appreciation

Similar Threads

  1. Just started Propecia, Age 20.
    By Confided in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
  2. Just started Finasteride
    By srtcy in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM
  3. Just started Propecia...........again!!!
    By coffee in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
  4. Started yo go bald at 16...
    By RGW in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 06:23 PM
  5. Just started propecia
    By daz1985 in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth