Ran out of 15% 5 months ago. Oh boy....shedding.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Giarcpnw
    • Aug 2012

Ran out of 15% 5 months ago. Oh boy....shedding.

Finasteride user for 15 plus years. Been on ******* 12.5-and 15% for 7-8 years. Once a day. Switched to Dualgen-15 when ******* disappeared. Ran out of that about 5 months ago and bumped down to 5% lipogain.

Oh boy, did I lose a ton of hair in the last month. Like a TON.

I had two HT about 8 and 4 years ago. about 1800 hairs combined. Recreated my hairline and the minox was keeping all the hair behind the HT full and thick. Now I can plainly see where the hair is thinning behind my transplants. It's like the past 5-6 years just caught up to me over night. This is heavily depressing.

Has anyone else who was forced to reduce to the 5% from the 15% have any major shedding? I suspect it's not coming back if this was dose dependent hair growth. In a panic i just ordered grossly over priced Dualgen-15 from england on ebay. Hopefully it's the real thing. Any chance I'll get that growth back?

I really hate the FDA right now.

Bummed,
    Craig
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Giarcpnw
    I really hate the FDA right now.
    The FDA is looking out for you and everybody else. Those high blends of Minoxidil can do more harm than good.

Since you already have some more coming from the internet grey market, the best thing for you to do is taper your dose down to the legal 5% dose as slowly over time as possible. It is the sudden abrupt changes that cause these massive sheds that you experienced. The best way to avoid them is to make changes as slowly as possible.

The high dose blends are illegal for a darn good reason. Therefore it is in everyone's best interest not to get on them. That way you will never have to worry about supply problems.

Comment

• Giarcpnw
      • Aug 2012

Tracy,

I see you post that same advice when anyone posts about
      Minoxidil above 5%. While I appreciate your conservative views of the
      use of the drug. I'd been on it for 7-8 years. No side effects.
      Lots of hair growth. Clearly, when it comes to hair loss we often play fast and loose with following the FDA suggestions. Which I personally think don't always. have our best interests in mind, rather the big pharm companies.

Regardless, people do what it takes to keep their hair. It worked for me.
      Does anyone have any actual similar experience to share regarding my situation

Thanks!

C

Comment

• Xandroxuser
        • Dec 2011

I have been following several hair loss sites since the demise of Richard Lee's *******. To my knowledge Tracy C. is the only person to be so critical of 15% in such a blanket way.

Comment

• Xandroxuser
          • Dec 2011

My concern is that while the relevant websites contain many people who 'swear by' Richard Lee's 15%, there are precious few - if any - people who 'swear by' any of the other makers of what purports to be the same compound as Richard Lee's. It is puzzling.

Comment

• Xandroxuser
            • Dec 2011

The Belgravia Clinic, England has various MPB treatments available and like most recommend a combination of propecia and minox. As one might expect with clinics of this sort, they are expensive. Users have to pay for the whole apparatus of premises, staff, including medics, formulations, etc. However, they do - in appropriate cases - prescribe up to 12 1/2% minox with azeliac acid formulations. They do make it clear that higher doses of minox increase the risk of side effects. They do clearly list what they say are possible side effects (the usual ones, usually listed). There are undoubtedly many people who use 15% minox, once a day, who do not experience any of the listed side effects. However, what is less clear is what about possible side effects that aren't immediately obvious? I would like to see these listed. I think the reality is that we simply do not know what the long term effects might be in vulnerable people.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
              • Jan 2011

Go back to 5%. I'm sure it's better than nothing.

Comment

• Tracy C
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Xandroxuser
                To my knowledge Tracy C. is the only person to be so critical of 15% in such a blanket way.
                I'm not the only one and I'm not being critical in a blanket way. I use my grey matter - and I use it a lot. It has taken me quite far in life and it keeps me out of trouble.

If you stick with the legal 5%, you will not have supply problems in the future.

Comment

• doinmyheadin
                  • Nov 2010

@Tracy C

Most of the ripoff regrow you own hair companies in Australia who charge bullshit amounts for Finasteride and Minox ad so-called laser hair treatment. They use 12.5% minox so I have heard (Ashley and Martin, Advanced Hair Studio and another that I cant remember off the top of my head).

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

So.

Here in the US, blends higher than 5% are illegal. The FDA does not approve blends higher than 5% for a good reason. Maintaining a reliable source for blends higher than 5% is difficult in the US. What happens in Australia happens in Australia and has no effect on the legality of blends higher than 5% in the US.

Comment

• Xandroxuser
                      • Dec 2011

I think the reality is that we need a lot more information on why the FDA stopped 15% minox in the US. In the UK 2% Nizoral cannot be sold without a prescription because of the increased likelihood of side effects - particularly in regards to the sort of things mentioned in the below:

'What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ketoconazole? You should not use this medication if you are allergic to ketoconazole, or if you are also taking triazolam (Halcion). If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take ketoconazole: decreased stomach acid (achlorhydria); liver disease; kidney disease; a heart rhythm disorder; or a personal or family history of "Long QT syndrome." FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether ketoconazole is harmful to an unborn baby. Before you take this medication, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Ketoconazole may pass into breast milk and could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.'

My main point is that pretty much ALL medications run the risk of side effects or actually produce them. In most cases, the best we can hope for before taking medications is that we get the advice of a qualifed and expert medic with integrity.

Decisions are complex, for all sorts of reasons. As a citizen of the UK, I find Tracy C's enthusiasm for the FDA interesting. I had an elderly friend in his mid-70s who had become dependent on a particular brand of paste for fixing his dentures. After years of being able to buy it at the local chemist, it was banned in the UK because of a particular ingredient. He was bereft. I believe he began to acquire it from the US via ebay.

Over here in the UK, obesity is currently being flagged up as potentially THE most serious health 'epidemic', now and in the near future. I tend to think the 15% minox issue is small fry, indeed, compared to diets of convenience foods, smoking, and alcohol consumption. Parents who feed their young children a regular diet of burgers, chips, chicken nuggets, and coke are already being seen by an increasing number of people as 'child abusers'. And we all know that the 'typical' diet in the US is one of the most unhealthy in the world.

Comment

• doinmyheadin
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tracy C
                        So.

Here in the US, blends higher than 5% are illegal. The FDA does not approve blends higher than 5% for a good reason. Maintaining a reliable source for blends higher than 5% is difficult in the US. What happens in Australia happens in Australia and has no effect on the legality of blends higher than 5% in the US.
                        Meaning, that the majority of people wouldn't/shouldn't get sides from a higher dose of minox.

Comment

• mlao
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Tracy C
                          So.

I don't believe they are technically illegal. I know that Dr. Alan Bauman who is an IAHRS member Sells a 10% minoxidil cream. I'm sure there needs to be a consultation and prescription for it but I doubt a doctor with his visibility would stupidly break a law.

From his website;
                          Rogaine 5%, 2% Solutions, Rogaine 5% FOAM and generic Minoxidil are available over-the-counter and also from Dr. Bauman's office. Customized Minoxidil formulations (including propylene glycol-free versions, 10% minoxidil cream, etc.) are also available from Dr. Bauman.

Comment

• Tracy C
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mlao
                            I don't believe they are technically illegal.
                            I should have been more clear. It is illegal to sell Minoxidil blends above 5% in the US without a prescription. If a doctor is supervising the use of higher blends, that's a completely different story. A doctor would be prepared and able to handle the increased risks of using high dose blends.

Comment

• Xandroxuser
                              • Dec 2011

I agree with Tracy C's last post. However, I am intrigued that Dr Bauman has the possiblity of prescribing minox 10% paste. The Belgravia Clinic has a 12 1/2% cream now available. To me, this raises the issue of how possible it is to stabilise satisfactorily these higher %'s in liquid form. Richard Lee's fans liked to claim that whereas he was able to do this, others were not. Certainly, the forums give examples of chemists who were unable to do it for technical reasons. There is also the question, too, of how much of these high %'s are actually absorbed.

Comment

Working...