+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think the reality is that we need a lot more information on why the FDA stopped 15% minox in the US. In the UK 2% Nizoral cannot be sold without a prescription because of the increased likelihood of side effects - particularly in regards to the sort of things mentioned in the below:

'What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ketoconazole? You should not use this medication if you are allergic to ketoconazole, or if you are also taking triazolam (Halcion). If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take ketoconazole: decreased stomach acid (achlorhydria); liver disease; kidney disease; a heart rhythm disorder; or a personal or family history of "Long QT syndrome." FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether ketoconazole is harmful to an unborn baby. Before you take this medication, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Ketoconazole may pass into breast milk and could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.'

My main point is that pretty much ALL medications run the risk of side effects or actually produce them. In most cases, the best we can hope for before taking medications is that we get the advice of a qualifed and expert medic with integrity.

Decisions are complex, for all sorts of reasons. As a citizen of the UK, I find Tracy C's enthusiasm for the FDA interesting. I had an elderly friend in his mid-70s who had become dependent on a particular brand of paste for fixing his dentures. After years of being able to buy it at the local chemist, it was banned in the UK because of a particular ingredient. He was bereft. I believe he began to acquire it from the US via ebay.

Over here in the UK, obesity is currently being flagged up as potentially THE most serious health 'epidemic', now and in the near future. I tend to think the 15% minox issue is small fry, indeed, compared to diets of convenience foods, smoking, and alcohol consumption. Parents who feed their young children a regular diet of burgers, chips, chicken nuggets, and coke are already being seen by an increasing number of people as 'child abusers'. And we all know that the 'typical' diet in the US is one of the most unhealthy in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    So.

Here in the US, blends higher than 5% are illegal. The FDA does not approve blends higher than 5% for a good reason. Maintaining a reliable source for blends higher than 5% is difficult in the US. What happens in Australia happens in Australia and has no effect on the legality of blends higher than 5% in the US.
    Meaning, that the majority of people wouldn't/shouldn't get sides from a higher dose of minox.

So.

Here in the US, blends higher than 5% are illegal. The FDA does not approve blends higher than 5% for a good reason. Maintaining a reliable source for blends higher than 5% is difficult in the US. What happens in Australia happens in Australia and has no effect on the legality of blends higher than 5% in the US.
    I don't believe they are technically illegal. I know that Dr. Alan Bauman who is an IAHRS member Sells a 10% minoxidil cream. I'm sure there needs to be a consultation and prescription for it but I doubt a doctor with his visibility would stupidly break a law.

From his website;
    Rogaine 5%, 2% Solutions, Rogaine 5% FOAM and generic Minoxidil are available over-the-counter and also from Dr. Bauman's office. Customized Minoxidil formulations (including propylene glycol-free versions, 10% minoxidil cream, etc.) are also available from Dr. Bauman.

Quote Originally Posted by mlao View Post
    I don't believe they are technically illegal.
    I should have been more clear. It is illegal to sell Minoxidil blends above 5% in the US without a prescription. If a doctor is supervising the use of higher blends, that's a completely different story. A doctor would be prepared and able to handle the increased risks of using high dose blends.

I agree with Tracy C's last post. However, I am intrigued that Dr Bauman has the possiblity of prescribing minox 10% paste. The Belgravia Clinic has a 12 1/2% cream now available. To me, this raises the issue of how possible it is to stabilise satisfactorily these higher %'s in liquid form. Richard Lee's fans liked to claim that whereas he was able to do this, others were not. Certainly, the forums give examples of chemists who were unable to do it for technical reasons. There is also the question, too, of how much of these high %'s are actually absorbed.

From Dr Bauman's site. 'Rogaine 5% FOAM is FDA-approved for men only, but Dr. Bauman recommends 5% Rogaine/Minoxidil to both men and women. Call 561-394-0024 to find out if Rogaine is right for you, or to order a direct shipment of Rogaine FOAM delivered to your doorstep.'

I should have been more clear. It is illegal to sell Minoxidil blends above 5% in the US without a prescription. If a doctor is supervising the use of higher blends, that's a completely different story. A doctor would be prepared and able to handle the increased risks of using high dose blends.
    This was the point about Richard Lee. He claimed to be doing precisely this. So what sort of Dr? with what sort of training and qualifications? is what we then need to know. Then, of course, there is the question of integrity - of both Dr and patient.

Quote Originally Posted by *******user View Post
    This was the point about Richard Lee.
    How can a doctor selling medications over the internet possibly monitor his "patients" properly?.. He can't.

It is pointless for you to keep up this argument. You are not going to win and blends above 5% are not going to be legal without the direct supervision of a doctor. It just is what it is.

How can a doctor selling medications over the internet possibly monitor his "patients" properly?.. He can't.

It is pointless for you to keep up this argument. You are not going to win and blends above 5% are not going to be legal without the direct supervision of a doctor. It just is what it is.
    You misunderstand me, Tracy C. I'm not trying to 'keep up this argument' to 'win' it. Inter alia, I am trying to track things internationally.

The following is typical from Australia. Often these people report reasonable results at a colossal price, and then discover that a GP could prescribe the same at a fraction of the price.

'I had a free consultation with Ashley & Martin (Brisbane) last year 2011. They offered me the following 8 month program:

- 7% minoxidil with Retin Acid
    - 1.25 mg finesteride per day
    - Compulsary 20 minute laser therapy every fortnight
    - special shampoos & conditioners'

I do believe that there is scientific evidence that suggests 'retin acid' aids absorption. It does, of course, have inflammatory side effects with many people who would not go near it for this reason, inter alia.

Quote Originally Posted by *******user View Post
    I think the reality is that we need a lot more information on why the FDA stopped 15% minox in the US.
    I can see it being illegal because minox is a potent vasodilator. At 5% most people probably don't experience the homeostatic side effects to vasodilation, which is tachycardia (heart beating faster).

I'm sure at 15% concentrations of minox, this could sent an individual into flutters. This means that the atria is contracting too quickly, less blood going into the ventricles, and less blood going into systemic circulation.