+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Advice for Male Pattern Baldness at 20?

So I very recently turned 20 and have noticed some male pattern baldness. With the right haircut I can cover the pattern, but of course it's still there. I have noticed my hair on the top thinning, though I haven't really noticed hair falling or hair on my pillow. I also sometimes have dandruff and some seborrheic dermatitis, but with regular shampooing I'm able to control these things. After using a certain type of shampoo my barber said that my scalp wasn't red and looked fine.

Anyways, I should also say that there's a family history. My mother's father side of the family has a history of hair loss, I have several relatives that began losing their hair in their 20s, one relative at my age. Many of these relatives are semi-bald in their late 20s. In my ethnicity in general, it seems many people experience hair loss from early age.

I'm not overly obsessed with my hair (I prefer my hair short anyways), and wouldn't want to do any surgeries, but if possible I'd like to slow down any such hair loss in a normal way. I've been taking some vitamins for hair as I'm not a fan of applying 100 chemicals to my scalp. Any advice would be great. A couple photos are attached.

the lighting/photo quality is not great, but as you may see the thinning at the top. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Maaz View Post
    I've been taking some vitamins for hair as I'm not a fan of applying 100 chemicals to my scalp. Any advice would be great. A couple photos are attached.
    There are currently only two medication that are proven to treat hereditary hair loss and approved by the FDA for that purpose. Of those two medications, only one is applied to the scalp (twice a day). It's called Minoxidil, which is the active ingredient in Rogaine. The other medication is a pill you take once a day. It's called Propecia and the active ingredient is Finasteride. You can get Rogaine without a prescription, but you need a prescription from a doctor to get Propecia.

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the information from the American Hair Loss Association. The link is on the right but I will place it here as well.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

There are no vitamins or natural supplements that are proven to do anything meaningful or appreciable in the treatment hereditary hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    There are currently only two medication that are proven to treat hereditary hair loss and approved by the FDA for that purpose. Of those two medications, only one is applied to the scalp (twice a day). It's called Minoxidil, which is the active ingredient in Rogaine. The other medication is a pill you take once a day. It's called Propecia and the active ingredient is Finasteride. You can get Rogaine without a prescription, but you need a prescription from a doctor to get Propecia.

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the information from the American Hair Loss Association. The link is on the right but I will place it here as well.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

There are no vitamins or natural supplements that are proven to do anything meaningful or appreciable in the treatment hereditary hair loss.
    All right, thanks for this info, the reason I'm taking vitamins is that my mother experience hair loss one time, and after taking some iron supplements her hair grew back and now his normal. She may be anemic also.

From the photos would you say the male pattern baldness signs are very clear?

Nutritional supplements can help if the hair loss is due to malnutrition. Hereditary hair loss (both MPB and FPB) is not due to malnutrition.

It is obvious from the photos you have provided that you are thinning in the anterior/mid-anterior areas. This is a very clear sign of hereditary hair loss. Taking vitamins is not likely to hurt, I take some myself, but they are not going to help.

The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to slow down or stop male patterned baldness is Propecia (Finasteride). The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to grow some of your lost hair back is Rogaine (Minoxidil). Many men use both, but you need to talk to a doctor, preferably a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Nutritional supplements can help if the hair loss is due to malnutrition. Hereditary hair loss (both MPB and FPB) is not due to malnutrition.

It is obvious from the photos you have provided that you are thinning in the anterior/mid-anterior areas. This is a very clear sign of hereditary hair loss. Taking vitamins is not likely to hurt, I take some myself, but they are not going to help.

The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to slow down or stop male patterned baldness is Propecia (Finasteride). The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to grow some of your lost hair back is Rogaine (Minoxidil). Many men use both, but you need to talk to a doctor, preferably a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.
    When I went to the doctor specializing in such hair related issues, he basically said that I do have thinning and that if its genetics (which it mostly likely is) there's not much I can do besides such drugs.

So hereditary hair loss has a certain pattern?

When I went to the doctor specializing in such hair related issues, he basically said that I do have thinning and that if its genetics (which it mostly likely is) there's not much I can do besides such drugs.

So hereditary hair loss has a certain pattern?
    Yes. Usually the hair line recedes first and then a bald spot forms at the crown. The hair on top usually gets thinner too. The hair round the back and sides usually survives which is why balding men have that horsehoe ring of hair at the back.

Here's a better photo. Do people still agree that I'm experiencing typical genetic male patter baldness?

That's MPB.

Yes, you should get on treatment ASAP.

Here's a better photo. Do people still agree that I'm experiencing typical genetic male patter baldness?
    That is certainly what it looks like, so yes.