+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Yes, you should get on treatment ASAP.
    You make it sound like I'm sick

Could there be underlying disease that's causing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Maaz View Post
    You make it sound like I'm sick

Could there be underlying disease that's causing this?
    Thats what we all hope when we finally realize whats happening....

Yes, some diseases can cause hair loss but when its a functional disease that screws with the immune system and hormonal balances your hair falls out without any kind of clear pattern (and diffuse thinning IS a pattern, sorta kinda) and its not restricted to the top of your head.

To be blunt, I'm crazily surprised at how far along you are and only know recognizing you're losing your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Thats what we all hope when we finally realize whats happening....

Yes, some diseases can cause hair loss but when its a functional disease that screws with the immune system and hormonal balances your hair falls out without any kind of clear pattern (and diffuse thinning IS a pattern, sorta kinda) and its not restricted to the top of your head.

To be blunt, I'm crazily surprised at how far along you are and only know recognizing you're losing your hair.
    I highly doubt I have any disease though, I've been feeling very healthy, my last check up a couple years ago came out excellent. The thing is I didn't notice my hair actually falling out. Usually one notices this. For now, it seems my hair is not falling anymore, and is rather sturdy.

At first I had thought I just had a wide forehead, though past few months got more convinced it's male pattern baldness.

But my point is, should I be concerned enough to go to an actual doctor and get checked (for health problems) or can this happen as a result of bad genes?

Usually one notices this.
    No, not really though some people do most do not until it is already well under way.

In my case, I thought it was relatively sudden, then I went through pictures taken the years before I noticed and you can plainly see that my hair was thinning out, especially on the left side. Like a crazy woman I bought a wig and buzzed my hair off to see how much damage was done. It was a lot. A whole lot. I wish I knew then that it could be treated. But I didn't know so all it did was get worse for the next ten years until I found that it could be treated. I've been treating it ever since and I no longer need to wear wigs.

Waking up to your situation is key. Then you either decide to accept the situation and allow nature to take it's course, or start treating it.

I agree, hair loss really sneaks up on you and a lot of people don't notice it before it's too late. And also, a lot of people are uneducated about hair loss and fall for things that don't work before they find appropriate treatments that do work to some degree. I started laser therapy before I took Propecia because I was so naive about hair loss. In my case, noticeable hair loss happened very quickly. One year people were complimenting me on my long hair, the same time the next year I was all depressed over what was very noticeable hair loss to me. It can happen very quickly. I used to shed, but it always looked like I had a full head of hair. I chalked this up to the fact that I had long hair. I had several girlfriends who weren't suffering from hair loss, yet still shed in the shower because they had such long hair. Even when I was shedding, my stylist NEVER commented about hair loss on me. And also, I just never dreamed that hair loss could happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I agree, hair loss really sneaks up on you and a lot of people don't notice it before it's too late. And also, a lot of people are uneducated about hair loss and fall for things that don't work before they find appropriate treatments that do work to some degree. I started laser therapy before I took Propecia because I was so naive about hair loss. In my case, noticeable hair loss happened very quickly. One year people were complimenting me on my long hair, the same time the next year I was all depressed over what was very noticeable hair loss to me. It can happen very quickly. I used to shed, but it always looked like I had a full head of hair. I chalked this up to the fact that I had long hair. I had several girlfriends who weren't suffering from hair loss, yet still shed in the shower because they had such long hair. Even when I was shedding, my stylist NEVER commented about hair loss on me. And also, I just never dreamed that hair loss could happen to me.
    "Denial phase." I look back on it and wish I could go back in time and shake my younger self out of feeling so complacent

I'm not really in denial. I do accept it, but I don't really feel bad or embarrassed about it. I act same way as I would if I didn't have MPB. Of course, if I was girl, it would be different, and especially since I know so many people that around my age are or have been in similar situation.

I'm not really in denial. I do accept it, but I don't really feel bad or embarrassed about it. I act same way as I would if I didn't have MPB. Of course, if I was girl, it would be different, and especially since I know so many people that around my age are or have been in similar situation.
    It's really good that you act in the same way and don't let hair loss inhibit you. It's easier said than done and I personally have a hard time doing it. But I commend you for that attitude bro; I wish I could feel that way and I'm almost 14 years older than you!

Sorry, I didnt mean you are in denial. The post I replied to just made me think of myself back before I accepted "OK, I am losing my hair"

Unless you're some paranoid hair product freako, you're likely not to notice it unless, as Tracy said, its well under way. Almost one year ago I finally realized it and when I went back to look at photos of myself over the preceding four years it was like "DUH" - how could I not tell? Its been sneaky up until little over a year ago and it should have been obvious to me, but it wasn't.