+ Reply to Thread

Default Starting Propecia/Minox after transplant

Hey all. I had a transplant to improve a mild NW3 hairline 8 weeks ago (no crown loss at all). I've never taken Propecia or Minoxidil, and now I'm starting to contemplate whether that's wise. My temple loss has marched upwards very, very gradually, and I've never experienced a larger shedding phase, absent some shock loss from the procedure. I know Propecia isn't principally for the hairline, and I'm pretty concerned about sides. I've been thinking about starting Propecia at a really low dose (like .25 every other day) and increasingly gradually to test my tolerance, but I'm leery of stacking another treatment on top of a transplant while I'm still in the ugly duckling phase, because I won't know whether to chalk any improvement up to the Fin or the procedure--obviously I'm at the worst point now, and things are going to look pretty different in 10 months.

Anyway, photos are here: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9370. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm 29, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    Hey all. I had a transplant to improve a mild NW3 hairline 8 weeks ago (no crown loss at all). I've never taken Propecia or Minoxidil, and now I'm starting to contemplate whether that's wise. My temple loss has marched upwards very, very gradually, and I've never experienced a larger shedding phase, absent some shock loss from the procedure. I know Propecia isn't principally for the hairline, and I'm pretty concerned about sides. I've been thinking about starting Propecia at a really low dose (like .25 every other day) and increasingly gradually to test my tolerance, but I'm leery of stacking another treatment on top of a transplant while I'm still in the ugly duckling phase, because I won't know whether to chalk any improvement up to the Fin or the procedure--obviously I'm at the worst point now, and things are going to look pretty different in 10 months.

Anyway, photos are here: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9370. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm 29, BTW.
    Unless you are shedding now, I would probably wait a few months to start Propecia. You don't want to go through another shed while you're waiting to see how your results are.

Thanks! That was my instinct. I'd hate to try to be parsing whether shedding was due to shock loss or Propecia, and whether regrowth was attributable to the surgery or to the medication.

I've had a small amount of shock loss that comes and goes (some days there are ~10 hair on my hands in the shower, some days it's ~25), and there's definitely some thinness in my forelock that wasn't there before. It's very tolerable, however, and not the shock loss horror stories that I've seen before. My impression is that the native shocked hairs will return, so I'm not particularly worried.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    Thanks! That was my instinct. I'd hate to try to be parsing whether shedding was due to shock loss or Propecia, and whether regrowth was attributable to the surgery or to the medication.

I've had a small amount of shock loss that comes and goes (some days there are ~10 hair on my hands in the shower, some days it's ~25), and there's definitely some thinness in my forelock that wasn't there before. It's very tolerable, however, and not the shock loss horror stories that I've seen before. My impression is that the native shocked hairs will return, so I'm not particularly worried.
    They will so don't worry too much!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It's amazing how far assurance from perfect strangers goes. You can drive yourself more than a little nuts trying to combat MPD (Do I use Propecia? Minox? HT? Is it my diet? Some ointment I'm using? My weightlifting? Argh!), and it's great to have people to chill you out a little bit.