+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question about pain after hairtransplant. Is the pain permanent?

I've been doing some reasearch on hairtransplants. But I've read cases where people have pain near the donor area, or numbness of some sort. I've heard cases where there is pain in donor area 4 years after hair transplant. Is this permanent pain and numbness? Does it go away over time?

Do I have to take "pain killers" for life, or does the pain just go away overtime?

I'm in a great need for some answers please, and thank you.

Paso,

No, don't freak out. Patients that have that type of chronic pain in the donor post-op for that long are in the very minority. It is extremely rare for that to go on as long as you mentioned.

There are an extreme amount of blood vessels and nerves that run throughout the scalp so the post-op numbness is normal. Although many nerves end up getting severed, especially in a strip procedure, nerve endings do repair themselves over time. That varies between patients but normally all feeling should resume in one year or less.

Most of us who have undergone HT procedures need little to no pain medications post-op once the anesthesia from the procedure wears off. And it's usually only one or several days when the pain meds are needed.

Again that's the norm so you can now take a deep breath!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

it feels a bit better to hear this. Thank you so much.

You are welcome my friend. There is always alot of apprehension in the first procedure until you are numbed from the anethesia. I remember back in 1996 when I had my first HT with Dr. Shapiro. I had been wearing hair systems for a decade. I even turned around in the parking lot because i got reseravtions at the last minute.

What made me stop and turn around was the fact that Dr. Shapiro was always genuine and never tried to sell me anything. I knew I was in good hands, and as things turned out, I was!

I am thankful and so should the entire hairloss community for good responsible and talented docs that we have available.

So listen my friend, do your research, find the doctor that's right for you and you'll know when you are ready. Best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    You are welcome my friend. There is always alot of apprehension in the first procedure until you are numbed from the anethesia. I remember back in 1996 when I had my first HT with Dr. Shapiro. I had been wearing hair systems for a decade. I even turned around in the parking lot because i got reseravtions at the last minute.

What made me stop and turn around was the fact that Dr. Shapiro was always genuine and never tried to sell me anything. I knew I was in good hands, and as things turned out, I was!

I am thankful and so should the entire hairloss community for good responsible and talented docs that we have available.

So listen my friend, do your research, find the doctor that's right for you and you'll know when you are ready. Best wishes to you.
    Just a few more questions sir.
    When you said you've been wearing hair systems for a decade. Do you mean you were like wearing a wig or something, before you got the ht?

What if I had a transplant near the temples. Would there be swelling near the eyes, and if so, is the swelling permanent? Also, I heard that people usually get headaches after the ht. But do I have to take "headache pain killers" for life or something? That part is what scares me the most.

Oh and thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by Paso; 05-02-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: questions

Quote Originally Posted by Paso View Post
    Just a few more questions sir.
    When you said you've been wearing hair systems for a decade. Do you mean you were like wearing a wig or something, before you got the ht?

What if I had a transplant near the temples. Would there be swelling near the eyes, and if so, is the swelling permanent? Also, I heard that people usually get headaches after the ht. But do I have to take "headache pain killers" for life or something? That part is what scares me the most.

Oh and thank you so much for your help.

Hey, you're welcome Paso.

Well I guess a hair system is a glorified term for a wig or hair piece. And yes, I wore them up until I got my first HT which was done in the frontal third.

The swelling varies between patients in how they will respond to the trauma. I don't see the profuse swelling with the top docs who are making their recipient incisions much smaller and thereby less invasive.

I really doubt that you would have any eye swelling and no it's not permanent. Alot of docs provide their patients with a steroid post-op to minimize potential swelling.

I don't believe that headaches post-op are customary among HT patients, some may get them, but again not permanent. Just be prepared ahead of time and ask your doctor about this. Your doc may very well provide you or prescribe you a pain killer just in case. If you don't need them, through them away.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

And again. Thank you so much for your answers. It helped me alot my friend. Best wishes to you. Bye!

Hey Paso,

I had a HT just over two months ago (3200 grafts) and any real "pain" was gone in a little over a day. I haven't heard any of the HT vets on this board talk about lasting pain. I have read, and am experiencing, numbness at two months post-op, but the numbness has been reduced to just the area that had received the most intense transplants.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about!

Best of luck,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mhoffma1 View Post
    Hey Paso,

I had a HT just over two months ago (3200 grafts) and any real "pain" was gone in a little over a day. I haven't heard any of the HT vets on this board talk about lasting pain. I have read, and am experiencing, numbness at two months post-op, but the numbness has been reduced to just the area that had received the most intense transplants.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about!

Best of luck,
    Michael

That helps a lot. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Paso View Post
    And again. Thank you so much for your answers. It helped me alot my friend. Best wishes to you. Bye!

You're welcome Paso and best wishes to you!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net