+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mhoffma1 View Post
    Hey Paso,

I had a HT just over two months ago (3200 grafts) and any real "pain" was gone in a little over a day. I haven't heard any of the HT vets on this board talk about lasting pain. I have read, and am experiencing, numbness at two months post-op, but the numbness has been reduced to just the area that had received the most intense transplants.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about!

Best of luck,
    Michael

The feeling should increase by the month. That's a nice size session you had and just wait until it grows out!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hey MFHoffa,

Mind if I ask who did your hair transplant?

thanks!

TeeJay

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

The pain following a hair transplant procedure generally only last 3-7 days. Some people are very sensitive possibly due to having anatomy (nerves )
    that are not in the normal location or just naturally have very tight scalps and can have prolonged pain for an additional few weeks. I have never had a patient with pain for longer than 2 weeks. I had 1 patient who came to me after having surgery many years back at another clinic and was still complaining of pain above the donor area. I contributed it to the doctor most likely damaging the Occipital Nerves that are deep and should not be in the way during routine hair transplant surgery. It is more common to have prolonged numbness in certain areas. It can take weeks to months to regain full normal sensation following this type of procedure. From my experience and all that I have read most patients who experience numbness will regain full sensation at some point. On the flip side some patients never have any significant pain or numbness.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Question: I had a HT procedure 5 weeks ago and still have noticeable redness in the recipient area which is the frontal area of my scalp. Is this normal and how long does the redness last in some patients?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    The pain following a hair transplant procedure generally only last 3-7 days. Some people are very sensitive possibly due to having anatomy (nerves )
    that are not in the normal location or just naturally have very tight scalps and can have prolonged pain for an additional few weeks. I have never had a patient with pain for longer than 2 weeks. I had 1 patient who came to me after having surgery many years back at another clinic and was still complaining of pain above the donor area. I contributed it to the doctor most likely damaging the Occipital Nerves that are deep and should not be in the way during routine hair transplant surgery. It is more common to have prolonged numbness in certain areas. It can take weeks to months to regain full normal sensation following this type of procedure. From my experience and all that I have read most patients who experience numbness will regain full sensation at some point. On the flip side some patients never have any significant pain or numbness.

Bobby,

The lingering redness can also vary between patients. Most patients see it go away by the end of eight weeks or so.

If you continue to see it beyond these time frames, you should contact your doctor.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

DR Charles:
    I had my HT exactly one year ago and I have been experiencing major headaches since then. The first six months were misserable. I could not see straight, I was dizy, very fatigue and my headaches were unbearable. They lasted 24/7 and nothing seemed to help.I literally wanted to die from the pain. The last couple months my headaches are still presnt 24/7 but they are not as intense as they were before. I am affraid that my surgeon damaged my occipital nerve and I am affraid that my nerves are not gonna recoup.
    Based on the symtoms I have described,Do you think my occypital nerve was damaged?
    Do you think the damge is permanent or temporaly?
    Any medecine to ease the pain?

There are some serious risk involve in this type of suregery and ppl are not aware of the consecuenses.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Anything is possible. The normal anatomical position of the Occipital nerves is relatively deep and should not be damaged during a hair restoration surgery. A Neurologist may be able to perform nerve conduction studies or have ohter diagnostic tools to determine if there is damage to the occipital nerves. Hopefully, the intensity of the pain will continue to diminish and eventually go away all together.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile