+ Reply to Thread

Default How much scalp is removed...?

That's it. I've made up my mind and I'm getting my 5th HT to fill in the thinning in my hair line and temples. I was really considering dr. Gho but the expense and the trouble involved (travel/travel expenses,the wait...) made me decide against going with him at this point and instead get it done locally (vancouver) by my last doctor.I was hoping to go FUE (or HST) to avoid more scarring but since I already have a scar I'm thinking what difference would it make? My only major concern, would this make my scalp too tight? I'm only getting around 600 grafts and I'm wondering how much of scalp (area) is that? I once read there are about 700 hairs (average) in one sq. inch on the head. I know the doctor isn't gonna take a square piece of scalp out of my head but a strip. Should I be worried or do you think it's too small a strip to be worried? This is like a never ending nightmare for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    That's it. I've made up my mind and I'm getting my 5th HT to fill in the thinning in my hair line and temples. I was really considering dr. Gho but the expense and the trouble involved (travel/travel expenses,the wait...) made me decide against going with him at this point and instead get it done locally (vancouver) by my last doctor.I was hoping to go FUE (or HST) to avoid more scarring but since I already have a scar I'm thinking what difference would it make? My only major concern, would this make my scalp too tight? I'm only getting around 600 grafts and I'm wondering how much of scalp (area) is that? I once read there are about 700 hairs (average) in one sq. inch on the head. I know the doctor isn't gonna take a square piece of scalp out of my head but a strip. Should I be worried or do you think it's too small a strip to be worried? This is like a never ending nightmare for me.
    Dam, you must be really wealthy to afford a 5th transplant. How much is that going to cost you?

A single guy with no debt making $50k/year can easily save up $5k/year if he doesn't waste money.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    A single guy with no debt making $50k/year can easily save up $5k/year if he doesn't waste money.
    You got a point.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Dam, you must be really wealthy to afford a 5th transplant. How much is that going to cost you?

Yeah, wealthy! I wish. I'll probably never come close to making an average living. Those HTs were done over a period of 11 years and not at once. I was barely making any money when I had my first 3 HTs but I know how to save money even when I'm making almost nothing. Also, baldness isn't an option for me. Even if I had to pay every last penny I made to fight this curse I WOULD.

But yeah, if I made $50,000 a year I'd be an idiot if I didn't save at least $15,000-20,000 out of it (being single, w/o kids, thank god). Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize they actually make a lot of money but they piss it all away on stupid unnecessary stuff.

Since you already have the scar you might as well save the money and have it done by a top doctor. 600 or 700 grafts are not a lot so the size of the strip will be small. They can also take out your previous scar so you obviously won’t be stuck with a separate one. In your case I think this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    You can save even more than $5k easily. You can easily save $10k a year and then have some several thousands left.

Let's say you live in Manhattan, it's pretty expensive. Let's say you live alone, no kids, single, $50k a year job, renting a one-room apartment. Let's say this apartment is $1,400-1,600 a month, let's say worst case, it's 1,600/month that's $19k+ a year. You probably want a cell phone, let's give you a cheap plan of $80/month, then you have internet, of course you need to log in to Bald Truth, it's essential, so you need internet and cable at home. And other bills, I have no idea, i'll guess $300 in all. Of course, you have to eat, so let's say $7,000 for food a year, and since we're talking about NYC let's say you use the Subway, which is another $1,250 a year[$105/month for MetroCard]. In total, as a single man, all of this added up would equal to about $33k a year. You're left with $17k to do what ever you want with it. At worst, you could add a few more dollars in there for personal expenses like clothes and toiletries.

I'm no mathematician but I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Go for Gho man... why only 600 grafts? do your really think that'll be the end all for you? I would use Gho, so you can get 600 grafts and still be able to get another 400, and then another 250 VS. getting the 600 and having an empty tank......not sure how much donor you have left...

Honestly since you don’t have much to work with I would go to a top doctor who has some artistic ability to really utilize those grafts well, especially in it's in your hairline. I don't know if Gho really has those skills. Just my opinion.