+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I understand the scenarios surrounding the pictures. I understand the emotions behind them. I've already mentioned that a couple of times in this thread. However, take a consistent picture to make the highlight of the results based on the hair, not how one feels.

I'm looking for objectivity, not subjectivity of feelings. Maybe HT doctors are more focused on selling how a HT will MAKE you feel because that's what most potential patients are concerned about. I, on the other hand, am concerned about consistent, objective results.

So like I said, you don't have to smile for the pre-op. I can understand that. Don't smile for the post-op either. That way, I can more objectively analyze the results since the pictures are taken in a consistent manner. I think doctors should be happy they are helping people feel better about themselves. However, I also think they should be concerned with technical results and show things objectively in order to continually improve in their craft and peel all of the layers of the onion to show prospective patients what factual physical difference can be made to the hair. All the other emotional stuff is subjective and cannot be accomplished merely by hair transplants. Happiness has to come from within an individual.

I think hair transplant pre-op pictures are kind of funny. The guys always look miserable, but I don't think it is done purposely. If you already feel uncomfortable enough with yourself to have surgery to fix your looks, then it's going to show in the before picture. If you’re happy with the result of the surgery , you’re going to look thrilled.

What always cracks me up is the before and after of women who have cosmetic surgery. The before pictures are always without makeup and the after have a full face of makeup. Now that’s deceptive!

Thinningb420,

You sound like the US government when stating the new post - 9/11 guidelines for taking passport photos, no smiling

I have an idea. If you want to keep the result as isolated as possible from any sort of emotional influence you can simply take a piece of 8.5x11 paper, place it over the image of the patient for both the before and after, from the eyeballs down, leaving only the eyebrow on up visible for a true comparison.

However, I think you should consider something even more important and that is how the photos are taken. Are the before photos wet and the after photos dry? Are the before photos taken without a flash and the after photos taken with flash? Did you know that if a hairline pic is taken without flash before and with flash after it can literally DOUBLE the perceived density of the final result? These are tricks used by clinics that have a hell of a lot more influence on how the result looks than by someone smiling or not. Just something to consider but again, to alleviate the smiling issue, just cover it up from the eyes down. Problem solved.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Ha, I actually did think about mentioning passport rules about smiling in order to look more recognizable.

Yes, the paper thing is a good idea. I just don't think people should have to take that step.

Yes, I know all too well how wetness and lighting can affect density appearance. Those don't bug me as much because they aren't trying to push that a HT will MAKE me happy. I do think they are more dishonest and I write them off right away.

Call me Joe Friday.

"Just the facts, maa'm"

It's because hairloss makes anyone sad and even embarrassed!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin