+ Reply to Thread

Thread: saw palmetto

Default saw palmetto

Hello there fellas,

I was just wondering have any of u guys tried saw palmetto ? I bought a pure extract that cost me like 60$ of 60 capsule gels lol...been using it for 3 days. No side effects so far except maybe small headache today...

Has it worked for any of u guys? Any new growth?

No idea but i want to hear from people that use this too .

Jesus Christ. $60 for 60 Saw Palmetto capsule gels?

Please tell me they have like 500mg each?

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Palm...4723678&sr=1-6

NOW Foods, very good brand. 240 softgels, 160mg, for $20.

I was using a hair vitamin that contained a whole bunch of stuff including biotin, saw palmetto, zinc, and some Chinese herbs. I used it for about four months. I can't say it regrew hair but I can say my hair looked healthier. We do know that it is a 5ar so in theory you could get the side effects. However, no studies have shown it is effective against hair loss.

I stopped it about a month ago though because I was no longer having morning erections or ones through the day. The few times when I tried to have one were weak. After about a week off the stuff I went back to normal. I think I'll pass on saw palmetto.

For now I'm going to stick with biotin, vitamin D, and Rogaine and hope something better comes out. None of them solve my balding, but I am vitamin D deficient and biotin seems to help the overall health of my hair. I might try equol since it binds to dht rather than 5ar and is found naturally is some Asian men.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    I can't say it regrew hair but I can say my hair looked healthier.
    This is similar to my experience of saw palmetto. I've been on SP for almost 2 years, I think it has benefited my hair health as the remaining hair I have is very strong (clearly better than before I started), however I started late and it has not resulted in any regrowth.
    You can definitely find cheaper SP out there as mentioned.
    Also I would recommend a saw palmetto complex over vanilla SP.
    This is one product that Tracy C has previously recommended http://www.naturesbounty.com/PRODUCT/006052 it's not the one I use but I get mine in the UK from a different company that has almost identical ingredients.
    One more thing, I had a really big shed for the first 2-3 weeks, but the shed hair did grow back.
    I'm one that's jumping on the equol bandwagon (started that 3 days ago), but I intend to keep taking SP.

I'm on 550mg pills of Saw Palmetto, soon going to add 160mg to my daily regimen.

Since october of last year I was taking Saw Palmetto, RU58841, Nizoral, Minox and an L-Arginine shampoo. Hair seemed to be fine until I left for a 7 week vacation in europe without my Saw Palmetto pills and limited use of RU58841. Hair now seems much thinner all over the scalp. I'm planning on upping the dosage of RU to 100mg daily along with the higher intake of Saw Palmetto. Right now my hair isnt bad.

Saw Palmetto is a DHT inhibitor but its very weak (and helps with a healthy prostate).

I hope now that I'm back home my regimen will kick and regrow some hair and maintain it all until a proper solution comes along...

I would say its not a bad idea to use shampoos that also contain Saw Palmetto, heres a list of some:

http://www.*************/hair-loss-tr...that-block-dht

Just wanted to post my thoughts here as I haven't seen a more recent thread:

I've used saw palmetto on and off (mostly off). It definitely does something as each time I start taking it I immediately (same day even) get pimples below or amongst my hairline. I'm not prone to this otherwise. After several days I also notice decreased libido, but to a level I would be quite happy to maintain.

I'm not sure what it's like long-term as I've been pretty irregular over the last 3-4 years. My hair is the still the same although I'm not sure if I should attribute that to SP. Have never taken anything else. Are you still going on it ld91?

Yeah saw palmetto is a very weak treatment might not be strong enough to even help with hair loss at all. I just quit and said I am either doing propecia or nothing. Its pointless using something with no idea if it works or not especially since it can have sides too its a fallacy to think its natural so its safe. Propecia is better studied and actually helps do what it was supposed to.