+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default New user; 7-weeks post-procedure

Hello, all. I've been lurking around here for a few weeks and figured it was time to introduce myself. I'm a 29-year-old in Seattle, and had 1450 grafts via strip with Dr. Niedbalski exactly 7 weeks ago, including PRP and ACell. I consulted with two docs in Seattle, which probably was a bit light, and I'm kicking myself for only discovering Drs. Hasson and Wong AFTER my procedure (they're only 2 hours away in BC). But I was generally impressed with Dr. Niedbalski, and at 7 weeks I obviously have no results yet, so no reason to suspect a bad outcome.

Prior to surgery I had a mild NW3 with miniaturization only at the hairline; Niedbalski used a scope all over my head and found no miniaturization anywhere but the edge of the frontal hairline. Both docs predicted that I'm programmed for a NW3 pattern. Neither doctor recommended Propecia, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking it, regardless. I'm not using minoxidil.

Pictures are attached; the first three are before surgery, 'Postop' is about a week after the operation, and '7weeks' were taken a few minutes ago. Thoughts/comments welcome. I'm obviously at the depths of the 'ugly duckling' phase and had a little shock loss at the forelock, but nothing that I felt was alarming and based on the number of hairs on my hands following shampooing, loss has subsided to pre-op levels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WMartin1.jpg

Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	16281   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMartin2.jpg

Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	16282   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMartin3.jpg

Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	16283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Postop.jpg

Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	16284   Click image for larger version

Name:	7weeks.jpg

Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16285  

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm particularly curious if anyone has any experience or familiar with Dr. Niedbalski. Again, I have no reason at all at this stage to suspect that I didn't receive good work, but obviously finding out about IAHRS after the fact is a little confidence-shaking.

It's hard to tell during the doldrums, since the transplanted hair is resting, but I'm very curious to see how things develop. Definitely post some pictures down the road once the transplanted hair begins to poke through. Do you have any immediate post-op pics? That would give us a better idea.

It’s really hard to tell what’s going on at this point. Dr. Steve Gable is actually an incredible hair transplant surgeon and he’s an IAHRS doctor in Seattle and of course as you mentioned there is Hasson and Wong, so if you are concerned you should go see one of them to have them check you out. They might make you feel better about your decision. Even though it was a very small amount of grafts it looks like the skin is healing well so I’m sure you’ll come out fine.

Thanks to both of you--I really appreciate it. Like I said, there's really no objective reason to be worried. Both the doctor and his office have been very responsive to calls/emails (including giving his home number), and I got a very nice call today from his assistant, who told me that 7-8 weeks is when lots of patients get antsy/fearful because they haven't seen growth, and they like to check in and answer questions or provide reassurance.

I also liked Niedbalski because I walked into his office for my consult wanting to completely cover my receded temples and push towards a quasi-juvenile hairline, and he talked me out of it and into a smaller, more conservative procedure. He said that he prefers to move incrementally to let people adjust to a new hairline rather than installing a drastic change that someone might regret. I really appreciated that, because he essentially turned down graft proceeds and accepted the possibility that I'd be happy with a smaller procedure and never return. (He also gave me ~250 free grafts, for a total of 1450 instead of the contracted-for 1200) I know that that kind of honesty doesn't necessarily translate into surgical competence, but I think it probably has some correlation to caution and genuine care about a patient's welfare, which probably leads to better handling of grafts and lower likelihood of transplant failure.

I've attached a few more postop pics that show the grafts. I think these are about seven days out, so not immediate post-op pics, but better than nothing. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Postop1.jpg

Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	16349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Postop2.jpg

Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	16350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Postop3.jpg

Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	16351  

The post-op photos look fine. It tends to take most people a good 3 months to begin to see some of the transplanted hairs to grow back in, and you may not see significant results until the 6 month mark. I wouldn't worry too much yet...it's looking fine to me.