+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default propecia + romaine making it worse

Hello everyone,

My issue has a bit of a backstory, so I hope you can bear with me.

I've always had very thick hair my whole life. I've dealt with acne and have been taking retinoids on/off for about 3 years. I upped my acne medication to a higher dose when I went to college and also went vegan. My hair was thinning, but it still grew and was very thick at a certain point. Second semester, however, it got worse. I was, however, going through a substantially heavier amount of stress in comparison to second semester.

So, I went to a dermatologist in June to see what they could do. Without even checking my hair, they gave me 1mg of Propecia daily along with Rogaine. I initially started taking Propecia and started taking Rogaine about 3 weeks after I began my Propecia treatment. After I ran out of Propecia (I was prescribed 30 pills for a month), I stopped taking Rogaine. My hair appeared to be worse than before--much thinner, much more brittle, and visible bald spots.

Needles to say, I was taking acne medication throughout that month as well. Since then, I have stopped being vegan, stopped the acne medication, and stopped Propecia + Rogaine as well. My hair is continuing to fall out and thin and get worse. I thought hereditary hair loss was something that occurred gradually. This most certainly is not gradual.

I do have hair loss history--my father started balding in his forties and my mother's father in his mid thirties.

The only affected area is my scalp--the sides are completely fine. I don't know what to do!

i want to know why you stopped taking fin and rogaine. i advise you to take propecia first maybe that what you just need.

I stopped taking them because my hair was noticeably worse. Hair has been falling out every day since--6 hairs just fell out as I typed this.

Quote Originally Posted by jb4585 View Post
    I stopped taking Rogaine. My hair appeared to be worse than before--much thinner, much more brittle, and visible bald spots.
    You need to know that shedding is part of the process of treating hereditary hair loss. As long as you stick with the treatments, the hair that shed out usually grows back, and when it does grow back it will be thicker than it was before.

Stopping a treatment because of shedding is the worse thing you could possibly do. You have interrupted the recovery process. Those hairs that shed out may not be strong enough to come back.

It takes a full 12 months before you will know if Propecia (or generic Finasteride) will arrest your hair loss. It takes longer before you will know if Propecia will make it possible for any lost hair to grow back.

It takes four to six months before you will know if Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is working for you. It takes 12 to 18 months before you will know how well Rogaine is working for you.

Treating hereditary hair loss is a painfully slow process and there is nothing anyone or anything can do to speed it up. If you decide to treat it, you need to stick with treatment for the long haul. Stopping treatment because of shedding is a very big mistake.

So you are suggesting that I am stuck to the products for life--without them, my condition will forever worsen. Is that what these products are doing for us? Binding us to to a total of $130 a month for the rest of our lives?

Also, how much could I have damaged my hair given that I was on Propecia for a total of 29 days and Rogaine for a few weeks? Isn't it abnormal to have shed so much and for the entire texture of my hair to change dramatically?

Putting lettuce on your head won't help. It'll cover up bald spots though

;p

So you are suggesting that I am stuck to the products for life--without them, my condition will forever worsen.
    If you want to prevent hereditary hair loss, yes. Hereditary hair loss does not stop. Once it starts it continues to progress for the rest of your life, or until you run out of hair, whichever comes first.

Is that what these products are doing for us?
    No. This is what hereditary hair loss is doing for you. The medications are not doing it, your genetic makeup is doing it. Don't blame the medications for what your genes are doing. Not long ago there was absolutely nothing men and women could about their hereditary hair loss.

You always have the option to not treat your hair loss and simply allow nature to take it's course.

Isn't it abnormal to have shed so much and for the entire texture of my hair to change dramatically?
    The shedding is normal but the rest is not. It is not possible for these medications to do that - and/or do that so quickly. Human hair cycles are simply not that fast. You are either doing something else that is wrong or something else is going wrong on your scalp. You need to see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. This would be good for you because you obviously do not understand the realities of hereditary hair loss.

jb thier is no cure, no matter how deep you dig. I woulden't suggest looking for one on the internet either since it's mostly competitors listing horrorifying side effects about each others products everywhere.. it can scare a person from ever doing anything about HL. Listen to tracy, I would of thought your dermatologist would have told you these things but sometimes they don't. Consider yourself lucky jb, you started treatment right from the gecko and now your doing the research. Alot of us research hereditary hair loss to death and then start treatment, or sometimes don't.

Every question you have can be answered at Americanhairloss.org, thier should be a link here in the corner of your screen. Also, the official propecia and rogaine websites. They explain very well what hairloss is and what they do to treat it, when you read the proccess of treatment i think you'll get a good understanding of your situation, and that it's not abnormal.

Don't forget they're FDA approved and that's why they were perscribed to you, take them as directed!!! don't start and stop heh . I pay the same brutal monthly fee for both also. I'd like to find somewhere online to buy it generic myselve but no one ever got back to me here.. ehm.. Anyway hope this helps.

go and get propecia and rogaine, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!