1 year rogaine UPDATE (23 yrs old) - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default 1 year rogaine UPDATE (23 yrs old)

    I joined the bald truth talk about a year ago now, and just want to take the time to thank everyone. I have read alot of posts that have made me feel like life isn't completely over and that everyone has their good and bad days. I started rogaine 5% last august (was nw3, diffuse thinning and more thin at vertex, hairline kind of thin but still intact) and it has been a very up an down year. I also use nizoral twice a week. I apply it to my vertex and temple regions. When I first started it I was really optimistic. A few weeks in there was alot of hair in my fingers after applying. after a while that number of hairs shed started to go down, and I didn't see as much on my hands in the shower after shampooing. I know rogaine says you should see regrowth after 4 months. I didn't notice anything. But I decided to stick with it for a full year. Around the 9 month mark, I started feeling better hair quality in the vertex area, but under the bright lights in my bathroom,there was obviously still a bald spot. I can tell there is some regrwoth on the left portion of my vertex area, but not as good as I thought it would be. These hairs are not as dark as the other areas.

    I am gonna stick with it I guess for another year to see if the hairs ever come in as dark or somewhere near the darkness of the back and sides of my head. Right now I'm treating this not as a failure, but also definately not a complete victory obviously. I will start on fin in the near future as soon as I am more financially stable and I can only hope that will thicken what i Have. It probably won't be close to what it used to be, but I can live with it as long as it's respectable.

    Any one else see their hairs come in more dark after a year of use?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Schrodinger's Box
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dda View Post
    I will start on fin in the near future as soon as I am more financially stable and I can only hope that will thicken what i Have.
    If cost is the only thing stopping you from getting on fin, you can get generic 5 mg proscar and cut it into quarters. If you live in the states you can get a 4 months supply from walmart for $9. Fry's pharmacy price matches them for me, it works out to like $2.25 a month definitely not expensive. Rogaine alone isn't going to do anything to stop your hairloss.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    Yeah, finasteride is no longer expensive. And it hasn't been for a while. I'm poor and can afford it.

    I agree Rogaine/monoxidil alone can't fight MPB for long.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yeah, finasteride is no longer expensive. And it hasn't been for a while. I'm poor and can afford it.

    I agree Rogaine/monoxidil alone can't fight MPB for long.
    Totally agree even chronic dosing wont fight hair loss.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yeah, finasteride is no longer expensive. And it hasn't been for a while. I'm poor and can afford it.

    I agree Rogaine/monoxidil alone can't fight MPB for long.
    You are wrong. There exists no study to back up this claim. Only hysterical posts on internet forums, whose connection with the reality may be as distant as the whining of losers on PropeciaHelp.com. The longest studies on minoxidil were done in late 80's. The longest of them (5 years) monitored 31 patients. 9 of them continued to regrow hair even after 5 years. And that was 3% minoxidil!

    The fact is that the action of minoxidil is dose-dependent and highly individual. So even if it started to lose its efficiacy one day, you can upgrade the dosage. It's that simple and my experience with its long-term use and with various concentrations confirms this. Basically, you can use minoxidil forever. I have kept ALL my Norwood2 hair on minoxidil alone for 15,5 years with once-daily usage, and thanks to God, I haven't read all the crap about "the loss of efficiacy after few years", otherwise I would have thought that it's a pointless effort.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikemata View Post
    Totally agree even chronic dosing wont fight hair loss.
    You totally agree? Based on what? On your own failure with minoxidil? That's the definitive proof? Or could I trace your personal opinion to a single source, Mr Bryan the Internet Mythmaker?

    Interesting discussion:
    http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/m...threadid=92867
    http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/m...04&STARTPAGE=1

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dda View Post
    I joined the bald truth talk about a year ago now, and just want to take the time to thank everyone. I have read alot of posts that have made me feel like life isn't completely over and that everyone has their good and bad days. I started rogaine 5% last august (was nw3, diffuse thinning and more thin at vertex, hairline kind of thin but still intact) and it has been a very up an down year. I also use nizoral twice a week. I apply it to my vertex and temple regions. When I first started it I was really optimistic. A few weeks in there was alot of hair in my fingers after applying. after a while that number of hairs shed started to go down, and I didn't see as much on my hands in the shower after shampooing. I know rogaine says you should see regrowth after 4 months. I didn't notice anything. But I decided to stick with it for a full year. Around the 9 month mark, I started feeling better hair quality in the vertex area, but under the bright lights in my bathroom,there was obviously still a bald spot. I can tell there is some regrwoth on the left portion of my vertex area, but not as good as I thought it would be. These hairs are not as dark as the other areas.

    I am gonna stick with it I guess for another year to see if the hairs ever come in as dark or somewhere near the darkness of the back and sides of my head. Right now I'm treating this not as a failure, but also definately not a complete victory obviously. I will start on fin in the near future as soon as I am more financially stable and I can only hope that will thicken what i Have. It probably won't be close to what it used to be, but I can live with it as long as it's respectable.

    Any one else see their hairs come in more dark after a year of use?
    You will soon pay dearly for your fundamental error - applying the stuff only on currently affected areas. Furthermore, if it works so mildly, I would immediately increase the dosage and added finasteride. At this stage of hair loss, you must treat it very aggressively.

  8. #8
    Senior Member dex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yeah, finasteride is no longer expensive. And it hasn't been for a while. I'm poor and can afford it.

    I agree Rogaine/monoxidil alone can't fight MPB for long.
    Do you buy your fin online?
    If so, what website?

    Thanks,

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Do you buy your fin online?
    If so, what website?
    Circumventing the requirement for a proper prescription is not a good idea. You need to talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss to determine if Finasteride is appropriate for you.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Circumventing the requirement for a proper prescription is not a good idea. You need to talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss to determine if Finasteride is appropriate for you.
    I did go to the dermatologist, she really didn't have much knowledge about hair loss. I've been on propecia for 13 months and been buying it from walgreens for 80 dollars. I can afford it but I rather buy it a lot cheaper. Any links guys?

Similar Threads

  1. 10 month Rogaine Update
    By heynow1234 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM
  2. UPDATE! 1 year Rogaine foam 3 1/2 years propecia!!
    By heynow1234 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
  3. UPDATE: Rogaine foam 5% 12 months Propecia 3 1/2 years!
    By heynow1234 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM
  4. Rogaine-Nizoral 1% Update: 1months and 3 weeks
    By ppxrare in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Review of ISHRS article on ethical practices
Yesterday 09:22 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 09:22 AM
Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 03:36 PM
Last Post By zaidgg
Yesterday 01:01 AM
A family has hair restoration with Dr. Lindsey
02-02-2022 08:02 AM
Last Post By Rodneyy
12-04-2022 03:44 PM
What Young Patients Should Be Aware of Regarding Hair Restoration Surgery
02-01-2013 09:47 AM
by Billena
Last Post By tenny2
12-04-2022 10:56 AM